Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Baptists tend to be the most up in your face, judgemental. and weak minded religious adherents in the country. I mean, most religious sects are like this, but Baptists take it to the extreme. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with what the ministers are spouting on Sunday mornings.
I am baptist. Not only Baptist but SOUTHERN baptist and I have never, nor anyone I know, ever gotten "extreme" with anyone. That is nothing more than a stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 11:05 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
We're seeing some perfect examples of the lefties self-described virtues of "tolerance", and "open mindedness".

Oh yeah, and don't forget "inclusiveness".

Welcome to their Big Tent.
How do you know he is a "lefty"? From reading a few of his posts, he may well be a Libertarian (NOT the same as a liberal, much more attuned to many conservative values)

Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I am baptist. Not only Baptist but SOUTHERN baptist and I have never, nor anyone I know, ever gotten "extreme" with anyone. That is nothing more than a stereotype.
Good point but the problem is that people who profess to be Baptist don't all think alike. For example the Black Baptist churches don't promote creationism. Also many of those small churches don't have ordained pastors. The crazy cult in Kansas ["God hates ****"] call themselves Baptist yet are condemned by other Baptists.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:10 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Most of the controversies regarding how evolution is taught in our schools are being propagated by states with a heavy baptist influence. Texas, Georgia, Alabama, etc...

Old 06-18-2008, 01:32 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Most of the controversies regarding how evolution is taught in our schools are being propagated by states with a heavy baptist influence. Texas, Georgia, Alabama, etc...

First of all, what do you mean by "our" schools? Are they yours? The federal governments? Or can community control and independent school districts and local standards apply as well?

And "controversy"? Perhaps it is you who live in a part of the country which is so cloistered in terms of "mainstream" thinking that it is you who is out of sync.

Like MissyMom, I am a Southern Baptist (backsliding in lots of ways, and beer drinking too, LOL) and most of the same I know have no desire to get in anyones face, nor break down the wall between "church and state". In fact, where do you come by that assertion?

You speak of a "controversy" regarding the theory (which is all it is) of evolution. Is it your contention there is nothing controversial at all about evolution? If ot so, then what should be the objection to "Intelligent Design" being given some time? Are you scared it might make people reconsider exactly how life originated?

Let me hasten to add, I happen to be one of those who does NOT think that evolution and the basic Creation concept are exclusive of one another. In fact, I believe they are in tandem in lots of ways and I hope this link might indicate fairness in that regard:

Townhall.com::The Failure of "Intelligent Design"::By Dinesh D'Souza

To wind it up though, and on a somewhat seperate note, I totally agree with Doc as to that the most intolerant people of all tend to be those who accuse others of being so. Like was said by way of perfect, concrete, example, just go to a college campus sometime when a "conservative" speaker has the floor. It speaks volumes (no pun intended) as to which segment is most "intolerant".

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-18-2008 at 02:21 PM..

Old 06-18-2008, 02:31 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
First of all, what do you mean by "our" schools? Are they yours? The federal governments? Or can community control and independent school districts and local standards apply as well?

And "controversy"? Perhaps it is you who live in a part of the country which is so cloistered in terms of "mainstream" thinking that it is you who is out of sync.

Like MissyMom, I am a Southern Baptist (backsliding in lots of ways, and beer drinking too, LOL) and most of the same I know have no desire to get in anyones face, nor break down the wall between "church and state". In fact, where do you come by that assertion?

You speak of a "controversy" regarding the theory (which is all it is) of evolution. Is it your contention there is nothing controversial at all about evolution? If ot so, then what should be the objection to "Intelligent Design" being given some time? Are you scared it might make people reconsider exactly how life originated?

Let me hasten to add, I happen to be one of those who does NOT think that evolution and the basic Creation concept are exclusive of one another. In fact, I believe they are in tandem in lots of ways and I hope this link might indicate fairness in that regard:

To wind it up though, and on a somewhat seperate note, I totally agree with Doc as to that the most intolerant people of all tend to be those who accuse others of being so. Like was said by way of perfect, concrete, example, just go to a college campus sometime when a "conservative" speaker has the floor. It speaks volumes (no pun intended) as to which segment is most "intolerant".
Your personal belief is fine but not if it is contrary to science. The reason that you want to consider "creationism" to be taught in public schools is a huge problem & reaction is swift. I read where the Texas state board of education wants Un”intelligent design" as an option. If that is the case than Texas is deep in the Bible-Belt & a major embarrassment to the nation. Get rid of religion in our schools, PERIOD

Old 06-18-2008, 03:05 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Religion is something that I don't buy into. In some places it's deeply rooted in every aspect of the society's fabric. I've heard people report from Texas that there are prayers read over the loudspeakers at public school football games. To me that seems crazy. BUT, I'm not about to go down to Texas and tell people they can't do that. If it started happening in New Jersey, then I'd feel a little uncomfortable with it because that's my community.

I went to college in rural Virginia, a place where religion was evident everywhere. Billboards, colossal churches, television and radio, diner table tents, windshield flyers, all advertised churches or some evangelical concept such as "get saved." I'm fine with those expressions. First Amendment. Please speak!

What got to me was battles in the city council over whether or not gay residents should have a support hotline, or banning Cosmo because it was too "racey" to be stocked on bookstore shelves, or using the local state legislator to make sure condoms aren't distributed on campus, or disbanding all of the local high school student organizations because it's the only way to stop a gay student org. from forming, or stopping an art show because it featured depictions of nude bodies. Those types of "MY religion says YOU can't behave this way" demonstrations really got to me.

Although I'm not a religious person at all, I believe that religion can serve to help people/families on their life quest. I think in that capacity it would be a very personal thing, and not responsible for legislation that affects all of society. At the same time, I think it's best for people who choose not to follow a religion to respect the beliefs of others.

I think most people agree, but there are militants on either side who give the other a bad reputation and wage these so-called "culture wars" we have going on here. Why not live and let live?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Did you not know that IN TEXAS there are districts that have classes on the Muslim beliefs/religion. IN TEXAS the schools have set aside special areas to allow students that are required to pray at certain times by their religion to go and do so. They can get up out of their class at ANY TIME w/o asking and go pray. There was a school a few weeks ago that had two Islamic women come in and give a talk on their beliefs. If a BAPTIST had done that we would have been run out of the place and tarred and feathered.

I'm a Southern Baptist as well and there are PLENTY of us that are FOR the seperation of church and state. We do NOT want the "state" coming INTO the "church" and telling US what we can and can not do either. I'd say more radical "free thinkers", "lefties", "liberals", etc have been WAY MORE outspoken when it comes to city, community, school, county, politics than us Baptists or "religious" people.

Some schools still do a prayer before a sports game but most don't. Most observe a "Moment of Silence" as there have been to many feathers ruffled & knotted up undergarments because someone was praying for the safety of the children playing the sport and all of those involved.

Just goes to show that more and more people from OUTSIDE of this area have not the slightest clue of what REALLY goes on. Never ceases to amaze me. You'd think we run around all over the state in every county, town, city hitting people over the head w/ 500 lb. Bibles and forcing them at gunpoint (we all carry guns too ) to "BE SAVED AND BELIEVE or else your goin to HELL!". LOL!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:56 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

There must be national standards in our classrooms. It's fine if local community run schools want to teach whatever they want, it's called a private school. But when they are receiving federal funds, they are obligated to keep our children competitive in the sciences by teaching them true science, not religious dogma.

The theory of evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life. That would fall under Abiogenesis, which is a completely separate theory from how life has evolved. This is something that creationists have injected into the debate to obsfucate the issue of a scientifically verifiable theory vs. an untestable, biblically compatible version of biology. I am going to stop now because this is not appropriate for the general forum.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:21 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Your personal belief is fine but not if it is contrary to science. The reason that you want to consider "creationism" to be taught in public schools is a huge problem & reaction is swift. I read where the Texas state board of education wants Un”intelligent design" as an option. If that is the case than Texas is deep in the Bible-Belt & a major embarrassment to the nation. Get rid of religion in our schools, PERIOD
Actually the Bible's way of creation is more correct than the so called "scientific theory." The earth is not really as old as the scientific theory wants to make it. The Ice Age can be explained by Noah's Flood. So since the Christian facts are more correct than the scientific theory, we are being asked to believe lies. It would be much better if our students were to be able to study things the way they really are and not just a theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City