Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:51 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,871,801 times

Advertisements

NYC may have influence over other parts of the Country and in other parts of the World,but honestly it doesn't feel like NYC has much influence over here in California.

Here in California we can go through our daily lives without even having NYC on our minds or even worrying about what's going on in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
LOL

Why do people here think people live their lives based on movies? Besides pimply faced teenage girls and bored soccer moms, who really lives vicariously though Hollywood?? Not as many as you want to believe. Movies are fun to watch, but influence?

New York wins when it comes to influence, especially international influence since most people abroad don't even put LA in the same category as NY, London, Paris, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 05:44 AM

263 posts, read 798,428 times
That's funny! We don't put NY, London or Paris in our category!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,916,665 times
I think the people who are saying "we don't base our lives off of Hollywood!" are being a bit naive.

No, you may not be consciously doing it, but the influence is still there in everyday life. Do you go shopping? I can guarantee you that 95% of the clothes selling in stores are only there because Hollywood made them trendy. Just by buying clothes, Hollywood has a presence in your life.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 AM

3,567 posts, read 3,734,660 times
I WISH NY had some more influence! Especially with fashion and the arts. Chanel ALWAYS looked better dressed than Brittney. LA is dumbing us down.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:24 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,650,609 times
Economically I think New York City has a greater influence on the United States.Entertainment wise I think L.A. does.Overall I think NYC probably has the greater influence on the United States because it is the biggest city in the country.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:43 PM
YSL

5 posts, read 8,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
NYC may have influence over other parts of the Country and in other parts of the World,but honestly it doesn't feel like NYC has much influence over here in California.

Here in California we can go through our daily lives without even having NYC on our minds or even worrying about what's going on in NYC.
Just like people who live in New York (and the rest of he world, for that matter) go through their daily lives without having California on their minds.

As we can see from the results of this poll, California isn't as influential as you think.

Last edited by YSL; 05-26-2008 at 05:05 PM..

Old 05-26-2008, 04:56 PM
YSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I think the people who are saying "we don't base our lives off of Hollywood!" are being a bit naive.

No, you may not be consciously doing it, but the influence is still there in everyday life. Do you go shopping? I can guarantee you that 95% of the clothes selling in stores are only there because Hollywood made them trendy. Just by buying clothes, Hollywood has a presence in your life.
OMG, I could just vomit at the thought of anyone in Hollywood influencing the way I dress. Most of them dress atrocious, and the ones who dress well in "Hollywood" aren't even from Hollywood or live in Hollywood. You're hanging around too many overweight celebrity obsessed teeny boppers if you think they influence anybody. People draw fashion influence from models, advertisements and magazines like Vogue who are all based in New York. Fashion, media and print are controlled by New York.

The only people and places who influences the way I (and the good dressers worldwide) dress are the designers and fashion houses in Europe and New York. Ironically enough, all the Hollywood stars try to copy looks from New York, French, Italian and British fashion houses so I guess it proves my point that New York is the main influence (in the United States).

And when I interned at a high end clothing store New York, we got calls from hundreds of people in California and the rest of the country weekly looking for items in New York since the good labels all have their North American flagship stores in New York and scraps are then trickled down into Los Angeles.

Last edited by YSL; 05-26-2008 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-26-2008, 05:46 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,871,801 times
Even if California is not on your minds,it definately has influence over in New York and in other parts of the World in one way or another.

Do your research and I can guarantee you that something you use everyday or something you eat everyday or watch on tv everyday or the music you listen to has a link to California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
Just like people who live in New York (and the rest of he world, for that matter) go through their daily lives without having California on their minds.

As we can see from the results of this poll, California isn't as influential as you think.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:32 PM
YSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
Even if California is not on your minds,it definately has influence over in New York and in other parts of the World in one way or another.

Do your research and I can guarantee you that something you use everyday or something you eat everyday or watch on tv everyday or the music you listen to has a link to California.
So there are no New York influences in California, just the other way around? How amusing.

Let me fix this for you:

Even if New York is not on your minds, it definitely has influence in California and in other parts of the world in one way or another.

Do your research and I can guarantee you that something you use everyday or something you ear everyday or watch on TV everyday or the music you listen to has a link to New York.

New York has a firm grasp on the nation's (possibly the world's) purse strings.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:37 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post

You heard it here first. Hollywood is the fashion capital of the world.

I don't think anyone consciously thinks about NYC or LA on a daily basis unless they live in NYC or LA. Joe Schmo in Independence, MO isn't running around saying "I need more coffee. NEW YORK! I'm going to be late for my meeting. LOS ANGELES! I need to pick up the kids. NEW YORK! What should I make for dinner? LOS ANGELES!" I think for very different reasons, both cities have spheres of influence that span the continent if not the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City