Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:18 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,063,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torano89 View Post
Why are ppl talking about Cali when this is NYC vs la. All there is in la is Hollywood, nothing else.
Exactly what im saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 04:24 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,443,229 times
Quote:
Why are ppl talking about Cali when this is NYC vs la. All there is in la is Hollywood, nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Exactly what im saying
Lol oh geeez. Why are people from Canada talking on here? All there is in Canada is snow, nothing else. All there is in NYC is Wall Street, nothing else.

If you want to be ignorant, we can just discuss things at this level. Your choice.

I was gonna just leave this alone b/c I respect your opinion KONY, and I don't entirely disagree with you since NYC has been more influential historically. But I don't respect ignorant statements.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:36 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,402,035 times
New York is the economic capital of the world. New York is the nations most important city.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:25 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times
I would have to say it's New York, but in the poll I voted for L.A., because lately I have far more fondness for L.A. NY is too full of overly proud people who blindly disparage other parts of the nation, in ignorance. L.A. is very humble these days. A couple friends of mine from NY and NJ who went with me to L.A. last December were talking with me in a bar a few weeks back; we commented about how we met so many who, when we told them we were there on vacation, would say, "Really? Why???" as if they couldn't believe people still want to vacation there. Most of them would say something like "Yeah, but you're from New York, it's so much better!"

I got into a little (friendly) argument with a Los Angelino in a bar in Silver Lake, and he was telling me how NY is better, and I was arguing that L.A. is better, and that we don't have Fish Tacos or good tacos in NY, or anything quite like the Getty, and no desert or palm trees, and he countered with "Yeah man, but you got those Pizza Meals, they're huge man! And they give you a huge barrel of soda! And you gotta fold the Pizza meal man! It's huge man!" lol, we laugh about it to this day.

Seriously though, these days I'm definitely loving L.A. more than NY, even though I still love NY.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I would have to say it's New York, but in the poll I voted for L.A., because lately I have far more fondness for L.A. NY is too full of overly proud people who blindly disparage other parts of the nation, in ignorance. L.A. is very humble these days. A couple friends of mine from NY and NJ who went with me to L.A. last December were talking with me in a bar a few weeks back; we commented about how we met so many who, when we told them we were there on vacation, would say, "Really? Why???" as if they couldn't believe people still want to vacation there. Most of them would say something like "Yeah, but you're from New York, it's so much better!"

I got into a little (friendly) argument with a Los Angelino in a bar in Silver Lake, and he was telling me how NY is better, and I was arguing that L.A. is better, and that we don't have Fish Tacos or good tacos in NY, or anything quite like the Getty, and no desert or palm trees, and he countered with "Yeah man, but you got those Pizza Meals, they're huge man! And they give you a huge barrel of soda! And you gotta fold the Pizza meal man! It's huge man!" lol, we laugh about it to this day.

Seriously though, these days I'm definitely loving L.A. more than NY, even though I still love NY.
Describing ppl from LA as humble is laughable. And why would new yorkers on city data change your opinion about the city, what does it have to do with which city is more influential?

And i thought u were from new jersey?

Old 06-13-2009, 08:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,454,507 times
Jersey rules *****!

Old 06-13-2009, 08:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,759,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Which city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A., New York City or Los Angeles?
Well if there was catergories they each would have higher influences in areas, though overall New York.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:38 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,398,010 times
Quote:
There is certainly more than just Hollywood. Hollywood in itself is a major industry, but there is so much more here. This DOES NOT mean L.A. is more important or influential than New York City, but I think shows L.A. has more to it than being stereotyped a "film only city." Here is some random things Los Angeles contributes:

Jet Propulsion Laboratory of NASA (JPL): Leads, researches, and manages ALL unmanned space missions such as the Mars Rovers, Voyagers, etc.... in space with NASA. Much of what we know of space comes out of research from missions lead here in L.A.

Automotive Industry: L.A. sets trends in one of our nation's biggest industries. Almost every major auto maker with a prescence in the USA has major design studios located throughout L.A. BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Volkswagen, etc... all have studios here. North American headquarters are here for Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, and more... Automotive media is also huge in L.A. from commercials, magazines (Motor Trend, Road and Track, etc...), internet (automotive.com, kelly blue book, edmunds.com), and more (J.D. Power Associates).

Aviation: This has been a very big industry in L.A. with Northrup Grumman (headquarters), Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Thales, Raytheon, Parker Hannifin, and more having major operations here. Flight has very much been impacted by L.A.

Port: The Port of Los Angeles and Long Beach is the largest port in our country and a vital link to the Asia-Pacific region. This contributes THOUSANDS of jobs to Southern California and a product you have today likely went through this port.

Education: The University of California Los Angeles ranks 6th in research funding in the United States of America and has one of the most groundbreaking medical centers. The University of Southern California is no slouch either and the California Institute of Technology (Cal Tech) has some of the brightest engineers in the country at the MIT of the West.

Those are just a few things L.A. also has in addition to Hollywood.

And interestingly enough, while L.A. is weak in finance, it used to have 20% of all mortgages in the country in its hands at Countrywide Financial and Indymac Bank. The failures of both of these companies have played a role in our economic recession having an impact on all Americans.

Again, not saying this makes L.A. more important or more influential. I just wanted to point out that "L.A. has nothing but Hollywood" is false. My husband is in aerospace for example. The majority of residents in the L.A. area work in a job other than entertainment.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
OMG this going to take work.

Like chef said la is never and was never in new yorks league. NYC is americas only true world class city. When you think of france youthink of paris, when you think of japan you think tokyo, when you think of england you think london. WHEN YOU THINK OF AMERICA YOU THINK OF NEW YORK CITY. Its really that simple. New york is leaps and bounds more of a powerful a city than LA ,how do you figure the gap has closed? What does LA have outside of Hollywood. If hollywood was to leave right now, what would la be left with?

MTV is a new york based company, and has had the most influence on pop culture in the last 30 years. I dont go out of my way to "watch" new york in media. The city comes to me just like it does the rest of the US. You cant even avoid new yorks presence Whether your watching CNN or BET,MTV,MSNBC,ABC,CBS i mean come on like i said lets be serious here.

As far as music. LA doesnt compare. NYC CREATES music. Forget about big record companies, lets take it down to earth and put it on a people level. New Yorkers create culture, original culture. Hip Hop was created in the bronx and is listened to by ppl in LA and around the world. So popular that international cities have their own scenes. So influential that it has seeped into television and fashion worldwide. Even a new form of dance. Punk rock was created in Lower east side. Again with a huge effect on fashion and pop culture. Reaching across the pond and yes to LA. We can even throw salsa and mambo in their aswell. Both south bronx creations. Lets not even talk about Harlem

The combination of hiphop+punk rock+mtv=a serious chunk of pop culture. These were things that were started in new york, and made by new yorkers. CK it strip wall street,hollywood,nasdaq,beverly hills,5th ave whatever. And new yorkers period are more influential to america, we talking about the most basic of levels here.

The statue of liberty and the nyc skyline is americas beacon whether your from asia or not. NYC is americas number one city, thats what blows mind, about this argument
to get back on topic im a quote myself. Such a powerful post

Old 06-13-2009, 10:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,758,529 times

Cool the jabs, folks. STAY ON TOPIC.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City