Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More important?
Atlanta 109 54.77%
Miami 90 45.23%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 12:01 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Based on lack of economic growth
Don't confuse high unemployment with a lack of economic growth. The economy is growing for sure--the metro's GDP increased by $11 billion from 2012-2013--but not evenly within all sectors. And it's taken Atlanta a little longer to recover from the recession, but it will make a full recovery in due time.

Quote:
sports
Just because we lost an NHL team, which wasn't that big here to begin with? It's been years since LA lost their football team, but that meant very little in terms of world-class standings.

Quote:
nightlife, etc.
I don't think nightlife has much to do with world-class standings, and Atlanta's nightlife is on par with or above many of its peers. It's really a bit mind-boggling to me that people seem to think Atlanta is overall a sleepy city at night when that's far from the case. There's no longer a party district like we had with Buckhead Village, but nightlife is still going strong here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 12:05 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
They're both very important cities, but I'm surprised Miami is lower on the polls considering its major importance with connecting Latin America and the Caribbean.

My vote goes to Miami.

Yes, I'm fully aware of Delta's and Coke's presence in Atlanta, but I'm not swayed.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:27 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
To all of those that think sports is important (for whatever reason): Atlanta is gaining an MLS team before Miami.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
To all of those that think sports is important (for whatever reason): Atlanta is gaining an MLS team before Miami.
Mainly because David Beckham is having trouble finding a spot to build a new Miami MLS stadium. Otherwise, Beckham is solidly sold on bringing a team to Miami.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:16 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
But Asian and Europe are far more important to the world's economy and culture than South America. Let's be brunt and honest.
Everyone here should realize Miami has much stronger ties both culturally and economically to Europe than Atlanta does right?

Old 11-22-2014, 01:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Everyone here should realize Miami has much stronger ties both culturally and economically to Europe than Atlanta does right?
Yeah, I thought it was understood that while Atlanta had stronger ties to Africa and parts of Asia(mostly Korea) Miami had stronger ties to Europe and Latin America. Especially in terms of real estate. A large part of Miami economy is real estate. Many wealthy Europeans seek homes in Miami, and contribute to the skyrise boom. Think wealthy Russians in Sunny Isle Beach.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:18 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,424 times
I'm sorry I'm from seattle but love Coke products so Atlanta wins "Yeah"

Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
I continue to read dumb comments...

Miami is more important because Atlanta is too southern? Houston, Dallas and Atlanta are all more important than Miami and all three of them are southern.

How old are some of the individuals on this site?

Old 11-24-2014, 10:13 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I continue to read dumb comments...

Miami is more important because Atlanta is too southern? Houston, Dallas and Atlanta are all more important than Miami and all three of them are southern.

How old are some of the individuals on this site?
Even dumber South Florida wins because Atlanta is Southern while Boca Raton is over run with hyper aggressive rude obnoxious transplants that confuse being a proper rich person with being extremely nasty tempered and condescending?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:00 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
They're both very important cities, but I'm surprised Miami is lower on the polls considering its major importance with connecting Latin America and the Caribbean.

My vote goes to Miami.

Yes, I'm fully aware of Delta's and Coke's presence in Atlanta, but I'm not swayed.
If you're wondering why Atlanta is leading go back and look at the past post (I'm much too exhausted by this thread to bring all the reasons up). Miami's importance as a connection to Latin America was discussed at length. There are over 100 reasons brought up for making Atlanta more important besides Coke, Delta, CNN, Center of Disease Control, Emory, Ga Tech, Hartsfield Jackson, Fortune 500 companies, etc. etc.

Besides, this past few months I have worked on design projects destined for Costa Rica, Panama, Bella Russia, Ukraine, Dominican Republic, and China.

You don't have to be involved in trade at a port like Miamis' or selling condos to rich people from Europe to be involved with international commerce. There are 1000s of down to earth Georgians like my self involved with international trade. Four of the outfits I worked for in this State as a matter of fact had over seas customers. This is what I've been saying over and over.

Last edited by Galounger; 11-24-2014 at 11:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City