Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:37 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times

Advertisements

This thread is hilarious. Culturally, Denver is not remotely in the league of Minneapolis, Seattle or Portland. A few microbreweries and a lame downtown pedestrian mall surrounded by a collection of some of the most tedious and whitebread suburbs in the U.S. do not a city make. For the last five years I have spent around two weeks in Denver each year for business. I have some good friends there, so I do not entirely dread my trips. Nearly every mid size city in the country is building condos downtown. Legal marijuana notwithstanding - Yawn: Charlotte with snow and an occasional view. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, San Antonio, Kansas City to name a few mid-sized metros that have much more going on and a more developed vibe and sense of place, plus better music, food, museums and nightlife than Denver, which I am sure is a great place if you have never lived anywhere other than Colorado. Happy to be a hater on one of the most boring cities I am obliged to spend time in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:52 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I like Denver, I think it's a pretty attractive city with nice parks and its downtown has definitely been improving over the years to where people would want to live there. The city has a fairly prosperous feel to it in many parts as well. I can't deny I've probably developed a greater appreciation for the city since moving to New Mexico a two years ago considering it's the only real major city in this whole time zone.

I don't think it's following Seattle's footsteps though. Seattle was already inherently much more more dense in the 90's than Denver is now. Though the two cities do share some similar DNA with the REI type outdoor culture, micro-brews, legal cannibas etc. But beyond that I think Seattle honestly just has more originality and character than Denver. Especially in terms of food and as others had mentioned, music.

On a side night, the Broncos were pitiful to watch in the last Superbowl game. Oyyyy!

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-01-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 10:33 PM

172 posts, read 291,941 times
I'm not sure why the OP fails to note that Seattle also has legal marijuana. That is one thing that is unique to these two cities - they are the only major cities where marijuana is fully legal.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:55 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
This thread is hilarious. Culturally, Denver is not remotely in the league of Minneapolis, Seattle or Portland. A few microbreweries and a lame downtown pedestrian mall surrounded by a collection of some of the most tedious and whitebread suburbs in the U.S. do not a city make. For the last five years I have spent around two weeks in Denver each year for business. I have some good friends there, so I do not entirely dread my trips. Nearly every mid size city in the country is building condos downtown. Legal marijuana notwithstanding - Yawn: Charlotte with snow and an occasional view. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, San Antonio, Kansas City to name a few mid-sized metros that have much more going on and a more developed vibe and sense of place, plus better music, food, museums and nightlife than Denver, which I am sure is a great place if you have never lived anywhere other than Colorado. Happy to be a hater on one of the most boring cities I am obliged to spend time in.
My same sentiments, although I was a bit more reserved about it because it would just fuel more fire from Denver supporters. Denver attracts Millennials because it offers some urban amenities but at a cheaper price than West Coast cities.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:10 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Denver is filling in the gaps with a lot of infill projects, and the new rail lines- especially to the airport, will move the city up one notch, in terms of urban feel. That said, the OP implies that Seattle is some sort of has-been, which it certainly isn't. Denver has received a lot of press lately, but Washingtonians are just more subdued- and Seattle is just as much the place to be.

It's always felt to me like Denver was more of a homebase for people to go and explore the surrounding area, whereas Seattleites spend more time hanging out in town and have a lot more to do around the city. Denver's doing a lot to improve itself, but all the hype has come at a cost. Denver real estate prices and especially rent have skyrocketed in the last two years. I had a lot of fun while I lived there, and the people and their positive attitude is what makes the city great. Five years ago it was a cheap place to relocate to, and held allure to many people as an accessible place to offer people their first taste of the west. But in my opinion, the Denver metro is now overpriced for what you get.

Again Denver's got a lot going on, and it's reached a critical mass where it is a desired destination and projects do sprout up and get underway in relatively short order. It's still got a ways to go, though. But my problem with it is that for the entire time I lived there, I couldn't get it out of my mind that I really wanted to be in the mountains, not in town. Not a fault of Denver for being next to them and not in them, but to me the attraction to the city was always what lies immediately to the west!

Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Did Seattle suddenly stop becoming popular amongst millenials because I know a bunch who just moved to Seattle.
Yeah. I have two friends who just moved there in the past few months---one to Capitol Hill and one to Renton (suburbs). Both are gay 20-somethings with a lot of disposable income. A lot of my friends talk about Seattle longingly all the time. It seems to STILL have a VERY strong allure for potential new residents.

As for me it's too expensive in Seattle, there's too much cloudiness, traffic is a nightmare, and I don't want to live there when they finally have their long-overdue mega-earthquake.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:58 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_ View Post
I'm not sure why the OP fails to note that Seattle also has legal marijuana. That is one thing that is unique to these two cities - they are the only major cities where marijuana is fully legal.
...and? I'm a "hip" 20-something with no desire to smoke weed. Besides, with the way Pittsburgh has been heading with its "crunchiness" and "hipness" as of late I fully expect it to be legalized here, too, before long. I don't think that will instantly make Pittsburgh in the same league as Seattle or Denver.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:43 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
My same sentiments, although I was a bit more reserved about it because it would just fuel more fire from Denver supporters. Denver attracts Millennials because it offers some urban amenities but at a cheaper price than West Coast cities.
Denver like Phoenix, et al. is a wannabe West Coast city.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:50 PM

300 posts, read 441,192 times
I'm a Millennial and it seems like a lot of my "hipster/cool" friends want to move to the large metros like NYC, Chicago, Philly, DC, LA, SF, PHX, but Seattle still has the same vibe to me as when people describe it in the 90's.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 PM

214 posts, read 300,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_ View Post
The key difference there is that Seattle is way behind on opening any recreational dispensaries unlike Denver.
https://news.vice.com/article/washin...-weed-shortage

Denver had 73 in April when I last visited.
Update: See all 73 recreational marijuana shops Denver has licensed so far | Westword
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City