Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 09:37 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times

Advertisements

Facts would be nice in this thread. Just saying 'I'd be willing to bet' doesn't mean squat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 09:58 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,436 times
BTW, according to this article, Amazon employs 15,000 in Seattle while Microsoft employs 42,000 - not exactly 70,000. Also, Microsoft is in the midst of laying off 18,000 employees. How many of these layoffs will hit Seattle?

Last edited by YIMBY; 09-18-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 10:46 PM

214 posts, read 299,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
$$$$$$$$$$

Seattlites, of all people, should understand this. You're paying for this network to be grade-separated and robust, are you not?
They are cutting their transit budget...
http://metro.kingcounty.gov/am/future/why-cut.html

Last edited by polo_golf_guy; 09-18-2014 at 10:59 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 12:27 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Seattle has a massive tech industry. It has a much stronger economy than Minneapolis. Though with an oppressive cost of living to go with it.

Seattle just seems to have more of that niche economy vibe going on. That plus the west coast setting puts Seattle above any midwest city not called Chicago.

I agree the setting is "purdy" but since when is that the be-all and end-all of quality living? Or are you the kin of Van Gogh?

Old 09-19-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
LoL, there is not that much of a difference when the UI of the cities is seperated by 1%.

The 80 billion dollar difference in gdp, is huge.

Relax, Minneapolis is a good town.

Just not as good as Seattle.

The end. That's it. It's over.
I guess NorCal Dude called this one.....there is no more discussion. Damn!

Old 09-19-2014, 12:31 PM

591 posts, read 819,559 times
Quote:
I guess NorCal Dude called this one.....there is no more discussion. Damn!
NorCal Dude is right. And this thread has gone on way too long.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
Okay, but that is not why you have an expanding transit system, obviously. You can't have the expansion without the funds to expand, and just because one cut was made after a dozen increases means little to the net outcome. In short, those in Seattle pay more for expanding transit, and that's a GOOD thing, but it's the reason why other cities don't follow suit (your original point I contested).

If expanding transit was free or you could somehow MAKE money, EVERY city would do it! Since it's not, the pros have to outweigh the cons (one big con being severe traffic, which makes Seattle an excellent candidate for mass transit expansion all by itself).

P.S. the link you sent shows a blip about a "funding shortfall", not a tax cut. There's a big difference.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
NorCal Dude is right. And this thread has gone on way too long.
I'm right. So there! I didn't know arguments were won this way!!

I do have to say that the smugness of Seattlies -- at least on this forum -- is incredibly unappealing to me....hopefully I'm just getting a bad sample of its citizens, and that's not actually how people there act.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:53 PM

542 posts, read 1,682,383 times
Minneapolis vs. Seattle throw-down!! Lots of passionate people here who feel strongly about the subject.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:59 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,593,643 times
Quote:
I'm right. So there! I didn't know arguments were won this way!!

I do have to say that the smugness of Seattlies -- at least on this forum -- is incredibly unappealing to me....hopefully I'm just getting a bad sample of its citizens, and that's not actually how people there act.
It really is mainly just the Seattle posters on this site. Most Seattleites are not this smug, and besides... NorCal dude is from, well... I'm going to guess Northern California. From my experience, MOST people who post on this site are not very representative of the city/state/region they are representing. C-D is it's own little sub-reality. Most people I know in Seattle speak quite fondly of MSP in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City