Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:10 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,894,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
Seattle is nice and everything, but the traffic is freakin horrendous and the non-stop drizzling during fall, winter, and some of spring, gets old fast! Nevertheless, Seattle is still a great place, but I have heard numerous times that MSP is simply better because of a better traffic situation, more jobs, an even better economy than Seattle, much more sunshine, lower cost of living, and just as nice scenery (tons of lakes).
I disagree on the scenery...not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:24 AM

23,298 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Agreed, and I find it rather disingenuous to complain about Seattle weather and not even mention Minneapolis winters.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:34 AM

2,528 posts, read 3,032,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No, people here look up to Seattle as a more bigger, more important and iconic city. you hear a lot of people who dreams of visiting Seattle and people who want to move their after they graduate college.

i doubt you hear as many people from Seattle wanting to visit or live in Minneapolis.
While this certainly is reflective of Seattle having a higher pop-culture quotient than Minneapolis, it hardly relates to whether or not one city is better than the other. I don't know of anyone her who "looks up" to Seattle.

Both are great cities which exist on the same level of overall importance. The answer to the OP's question would ultimately depend upon what one is specifically looking for in a city.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:39 AM

214 posts, read 298,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Allow me to disagree with you. Completely close. Simply because there are no mountains in MSP? Rivers and lakes, 3 biomes converge across the TC metro going from prairie like to woodsy and hilly with river bluffs? I think both places actually are beautiful in terms of landscape features and urban features like architecture.

To be fair as well Minnesota winters suck but the Summers and Fall are pretty awesome.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 AM

1,486 posts, read 291,103 times
Seattle is more iconic with a more vibrant and iconic metro. Minneapolis has harsh weather and I don't like its downtown as much.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:29 AM

604 posts, read 1,510,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
Allow me to disagree with you. Completely close. Simply because there are no mountains in MSP? Rivers and lakes, 3 biomes converge across the TC metro going from prairie like to woodsy and hilly with river bluffs? I think both places actually are beautiful in terms of landscape features and urban features like architecture.

To be fair as well Minnesota winters suck but the Summers and Fall are pretty awesome.
Minneapolis has its beauty, but it is not comparable to Seattle. I have lived in both Minneapolis and Seattle. Most of the people who love outdoors are begging to get out so they can visit Seattle. Not the other way around.

In terms of what place is better. I will say this. People in Minneapolis take better care of their yards, and homes IMO. Plus it is cheaper to live there. Seattle is getting crazy expensive.

With that being said I still prefer Seattle for the following reasons 1) Good jobs 2) great access to outdoors 3) more urban core 4) more diversity (specifically the Pacific Nations 5) more oppurtunities in tech etc..

Old 09-03-2014, 11:23 AM

116 posts, read 221,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
MSP seems to get higher marks for its museums and theater scene but Seattle is also a favorite among travelers. It seems MSP have a better transit system but not by much although they are close to starting the next line.
Museum and theater do go to Minneapolis - Seattle is no slouch but Minneapolis really excels in these areas.

However, currently I'd say transit is about even (Seattle has a higher percentage of people commuting by public transit and rail has about the same ridership) and Seattle will pull away dramatically in the next decade when multiple underground/elevated "subway-style" light rail lines with complete separate ROW opening in some of the city's densest and most vibrant areas. Minneapolis' light rail lines will not have the same capacity and they will be at-grade.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:28 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,965,629 times
No, Minneapolis is not better than Seattle. At the same time - I don't think Seattle is that much better than the Minneapolis area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Minneapolis elitist do, not the majority of the people in the metro however.
I know both areas well enough to say you are wrong. The two are definitely peer cities.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:38 AM

591 posts, read 813,593 times
Most Seattleites would not really even think to compare Seattle and Minneapolis.

The cities that Seattle aligns itself with are San Francisco, Vancouver, Portland.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:13 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,965,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Most Seattleites would not really even think to compare Seattle and Minneapolis.

The cities that Seattle aligns itself with are San Francisco, Vancouver, Portland.
This is b.s. I've talked to several, local Seattleites (not most like you have ) who seem to think Portland is where Seattle was 20 years ago, which is distancing themselves from Portland - not aligning with it. Furthermore, I've run into and know a lot people from the Midwest who now live in Seattle. Guess what city they compare Seattle with? I'll give you a hint - it's not Chicago or Fargo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City