Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:58 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

T&L has a list of what they feel are the best neighborhoods for ethic dining. Some interesting choices for sure but I think a lot of neighborhoods/cities were left of that should be discussed.

T&L's list

Thai Town - Los Angeles
Versailles - New Orleans (Vietnamese/SE Asian)
Rego Park - Queens, NY (Jewish/Central Asian)
Little Ethiopia - Washington, DC
Mahatma Gandhi District - Houston (Indian)
Little Lima - Paterson, NJ (Peruvian/Latino)
Chinatown - Las Vegas
Little Beirut - Dearborn, MI (Middle Eastern)
White Center - Seattle (Cambodian/Thai)
Brighton Beach - Brooklyn, NY (Russian/Slavic/Jewish)
Frogtown - St. Paul, MN (Laotian/Hmong/Thai/Vietnamese)

Discuss these and also post about other neighborhoods that are the best destinations for authentic ethnic food.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...ethnic-food/12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Chinatown LV is a strip mall with Asian inspired pagoda style rooftops. LOL

But maybe the food is better than one would have thought. I will check it out next Friday.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:28 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Washington Heights -- NYC (Dominican)

Old 09-04-2014, 08:44 PM

93,287 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I know in Syracuse, Westcott Street has Latin Caribbean, Middle Eastern, Indian(South Asian), Japanese and Mexican. North Salina Street has a handful of Italian restaurants, with a couple of bakeries, as well as an East African restaurant and a couple of Vietnamese restaurants on that side of town. You can get some Polish, Ukrainian, Latin Caribbean and some Italian, along with some Irish pub food on the West Side into Solvay. You have a couple of Soul Food and Jamaican spots each on the South Side. Some Greek owned diners can be thrown in there too. Can't forget a couple of Korean spots on the East Side into DeWitt. Marshall & Crouse near Syracuse University has a Chinese, Korean, Indian and Greek(pizza) restaurants as well.

Hopefully, more people will chime in.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:07 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Thai Town here in LA is good, but you missed some arguably more important ones:

Koreatown
Little Tokyo
San Gabriel Valley (Chinese)

Also, the entire city is one big neighborhood for great Mexican food, this being the 2nd largest Mexican city in the world.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:30 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
In the Bay Area:

Fruitvale (Oakland/Mexican)
Eastlake (Oakland/Vietnamese)
Little Michoacan (Redwood City/Mexican)
Oakland Chinatown
Richmond District (San Francisco/Chinese)
Excelsior (San Francisco/Salvadorean)
East San Jose (Mexican and Vietnamese)

There are some cities that function as ethnic enclaves that are worth mentioning as well, Fremont (afghan and mainland chinese food) and Cupertino (mainland chinese food) come to mind.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:02 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
I guess Italian is no longer considered "ethnic" by today's standards. But if it were, Boston's North End and the Red Hook section of Brooklyn both still deserve mention. Maybe even Wooster St. in New Haven and Federal Hill in Providence.

While not really a "walkable neighborhood", Richmond Hwy as it departs Alexandria and heads south is loaded with tasty Salvadoran, Honduran & Guatemalan joints. There are numerous Central American enclaves directly south, north and west of DC loaded with restaurants and markets, I don't recall specific neighborhood names but I ate in many of them when I lived there.

Here in Pittsburgh, as is probably true in many 2nd tier cities, ethnic is spread out all over, but the former food-packing district (The Strip) features the highest concentration of markets (Italian/salumerias, Chinese, Korean, Polish, Mexican) along with numerous ethnic restaurants, street carts and both indoor and outdoor farmer's markets along a 10 block strip on Penn Ave. There used to be a Chinatown and a Little Italy (Bloomfield), but the former no longer exists and the latter exists by reputation only. It's sort of like Uptown in Minneapolis in terms of variety/mix of restaurants & markets.

Btw, The Little Ethiopia Tour in DC is pretty cool and only $50-something. You're full at the end of it.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:44 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
LA:
Koreatown
Chinatown & San Gabriel Valley
Little Tokyo
Little Armenia
Westwood for Jewish delis and Middle Eastern fare
Artesia's Pioneer Blvd for South Asian fare
Sushi Row in the Valley for Japanese

Old 09-05-2014, 06:46 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Few in Mass that deserve a mention.

Neighborhoods:

Chinatown - Boston (Chinese/Malay/Vietnamese)
Fields Corner Dorchester - Boston (Vietnamese)
Brighton Ave Allston/Brighton - Boston (Korean)
Blue Hill Ave Dorchester - Boston (Jamaican/Trinidadian)
Mattapan - Boston (Haitian)
Eastie - Boston (Central American, mainly Mexican and Salvadoran)
North End - Boston (Italian)
Southie - Boston (Irish)
Jackson Square JP - Boston (Dominican/Cuban)
Roxbury - Boston (Puerto Rican)
Porter Square Exchange - Cambridge (Japanese)
East Cambridge/Inman Square - Cambridge (Portuguese/Azorean/Brazilian)
North Cambridge - Cambridge (Indian/Bangladeshi)
Moody St - Waltham (Indian)
East Somerville - Somerville (Central American, mainly Salvadoran and Mexican)

Towns:

Lowell - Cambodian
Malden/Chinatown North - Chinese
Quincy/Chinatown South - Chinese
Framingham - Brazilian
Watertown - Armenian
Brookline - Jewish and Russian
Brockton - Cape Verdean
Randolph - West Indian
Fall River - Azorean and Portuguese
New Bedford - Azorean, Portuguese, Brazilian and Cape Verdean
Somerville - Brazilian
Revere - Brazilian
Everett - Brazilian
Arlington - Nepali
Lawrence - Dominican

I am actually in Central Florida now and a couple I have tried out:

Mills ave Little Saigon - Orlando (Vietnamese)
Semoran Ave - Orlando (Puerto Rican/Colombian)
International Drive - Orlando (Brazilian)

Old 09-09-2014, 03:57 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I guess Italian is no longer considered "ethnic" by today's standards. But if it were, Boston's North End and the Red Hook section of Brooklyn both still deserve mention. Maybe even Wooster St. in New Haven and Federal Hill in Providence.

While not really a "walkable neighborhood", Richmond Hwy as it departs Alexandria and heads south is loaded with tasty Salvadoran, Honduran & Guatemalan joints. There are numerous Central American enclaves directly south, north and west of DC loaded with restaurants and markets, I don't recall specific neighborhood names but I ate in many of them when I lived there.

Here in Pittsburgh, as is probably true in many 2nd tier cities, ethnic is spread out all over, but the former food-packing district (The Strip) features the highest concentration of markets (Italian/salumerias, Chinese, Korean, Polish, Mexican) along with numerous ethnic restaurants, street carts and both indoor and outdoor farmer's markets along a 10 block strip on Penn Ave. There used to be a Chinatown and a Little Italy (Bloomfield), but the former no longer exists and the latter exists by reputation only. It's sort of like Uptown in Minneapolis in terms of variety/mix of restaurants & markets.

Btw, The Little Ethiopia Tour in DC is pretty cool and only $50-something. You're full at the end of it.
There's Wheaton, Chillum, New Carrollton, Riverdale Park, Langley Park, Takoma Park, City of Hyattsville, Adelphi, Silver Spring, University Heights, Woodbridge, Manassas, Arlandria, etc. Those DC-area Maryland and Virginia neighborhoods might've been the ones you've been to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City