U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2014, 06:46 AM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,594,891 times
Reputation: 3512

Advertisements

I would say easily the West. It seems like shyness is just the norm here. When I was in Ohio I was really surprised how much more forward people seem in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2014, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,900 posts, read 3,939,360 times
Reputation: 1743
I'm not sure, but the south is probably the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,089 posts, read 13,731,470 times
Reputation: 6872
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I would say easily the West. It seems like shyness is just the norm here. When I was in Ohio I was really surprised how much more forward people seem in comparison.
I was surprised about Ohio as well. Coming from Connecticut, northeastern Ohio didn't seem that much different. I didn't really sense culture shock. If anything, it simply felt like a more blue collar version of southern New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
8,163 posts, read 7,178,151 times
Reputation: 6998
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I was surprised about Ohio as well. Coming from Connecticut, northeastern Ohio didn't seem that much different. I didn't really sense culture shock. If anything, it simply felt like a more blue collar version of southern New England.
This is pretty accurate, I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 09:24 PM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,594,891 times
Reputation: 3512
Does anyone else agree Westerners are shy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,658,852 times
Reputation: 2258
How does one gauge regional shyness? I don't get it. There are shy, reserved people and loud, outspoken people everywhere, and in my experience no one region corners the market on either personality. There are only stereotypes.

Where I live, people tend to be overall a little less intrusive, and more "live and let live", but that doesn't make them "shy". And on the other side of that equation, I have lived in places where people were much more judgemental, elitist, and disapproving towards certain lifestyles, but they weren't necessarily more vocal or outspoken about it.

This is a confusing thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 09:30 PM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,594,891 times
Reputation: 3512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
How does one gauge regional shyness? I don't get it. There are shy, reserved people and loud, outspoken people everywhere, and in my experience no one region corners the market on either personality. There are only stereotypes.

Where I live, people tend to be overall a little less intrusive, and more "live and let live", but that doesn't make them "shy". And on the other side of that equation, I have lived in places where people were much more judgemental, elitist, and disapproving towards certain lifestyles, but they weren't necessarily more vocal or outspoken about it.

This is a confusing thread.
I guess what I mean is. I'm a westerner and people say I'm outgoing and a "people person" even though I actually really like being alone. Only in comparison to many others here am I extroverted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 09:37 PM
 
Location: your mom
1,486 posts, read 226,268 times
Reputation: 193
I am generally introverted IRL. You can't really generalize a whole city or area as having a lot of "shy" people. I would say people in the northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,658,852 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I guess what I mean is. I'm a westerner and people say I'm outgoing and a "people person" even though I actually really like being alone. Only in comparison to many others here am I extroverted.
Well, I live out West myself. Washington specifically, and I just don't see any real difference here as far as introvert/extrovert levels go than I did when I lived in California, Texas, Nevada, Arizona, Connecticut, Massachussetts, or Michigan. There are obvious regional differences, to be sure... but not shyness. That seems to boil down to individuals, regardless of their region. I think it also has to do with how crowded an environment one lives in. People seem to be louder in places like NYC and Chicago because they kind of have to be, whereas in rural Wyoming people don't need to shout as much. Still, the same probably goes in rural upstate New York as it does in Wyoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 04:19 AM
 
529 posts, read 654,184 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Does anyone else agree Westerners are shy?
Yes either shy or overly arrogant, not direct with opinions. The west is a horrible place to try and meet new close friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top