Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 PM

275 posts, read 415,831 times

Advertisements

If you're referring to hipsters as members of various subcultures of dissent (i.e not the style of fashion that the term now signifies), then you probably won't find them because they're living in areas and neighborhoods that you don't really want to be in or aren't supposed to be in anyway. The general public usually learns about these subcultures well after their "moment" has passed. The anarchist subculture that (illegally) thrived in West Philly during the 1980's is a good example. Most of the squat houses were all eventually cleared out by the police, but some people actually became owners. A similar thing happened in SoHo during the late 1960's and early 1970's. I'm sure there are a bunch crazy kids in some vacant hellhole in Detroit doing the same thing as I write this. But Bloomberg (or any other major news outlet) isn't going to start knocking on the doors of vacant homes in Detroit looking for the "next big thing"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 10:48 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Portland, OR
San Francisco
Seattle
Oakland/ Berkeley
Austin, TX
NYC (Brooklyn)
DC

Old 09-10-2014, 12:44 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,641,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Where in my post did I say LA doesn't have hipsters?

I'm pretty sure I said every city has it's pockets of hipsters. I said that Portland and Austin immediately come to mind because of what I've seen on TV with Portland and because I live in Texas so I've visited Austin frequently.

I've never been to LA and with it being such an extremely large city it has just about every type of person there in large numbers so no specific group stands out more than another except maybe celebrities and that's because of the media exposure on them.
You know the writers of Portlandia live in LA right?

Old 09-10-2014, 10:03 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
You know the writers of Portlandia live in LA right?
It's all about perception when it comes to opinions. I haven't exactly done a research study on hipsters and where they live.

The writers could live in Moscow and I'd still have the perception that Portland is a hipster city.

My perception of LA is that it's a World Class mega city with a huge variety of cultures. I see LA the same way as I see any other world city like NYC, London, Paris, etc. A collection of many groups. Hipsters are certainly part of that but I don't feel that they outnumber any other group there to give LA a hipster identity.

Of course I could be wrong because it's just my opinion and not a fact.

Your perception could certainly be different from mine. Especially if you live there or have visited there. That would put you greatly ahead of me on the identify of LA.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 PM

36 posts, read 44,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Wait so Brooklyn and Silver Lake/Echo Park/Los Feliz aren't noteworthy parts of NYC/LA? NYC isn't just Manhattan and LA isn't just Santa Monica or Beverly Hills. There is DEFINITELY a significant hipster presence in both of those cities. Of course it isn't going to pervade the culture of the entire city because they are large cosmopolitan cities where you see an entire spectrum of cultures, subcultures, etc.
I get what you're saying but LA is not a hipster city.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:22 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Here's a breakdown by neighborhood:

New York-Northern New Jerse… t
Astoria (Queens), Bushwick (…
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Sant… t
Los Feliz, Silver Lake
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremo… t
Inner Richmond, Tenderloin
Washington-Arlington-Alexan… t
Adams Morgan, Columbia Heigh…
Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, … t
Lake View, Logan Square
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA… t
Dorchester
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA t
Capitol Hill
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilming… t
Northern Liberties
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomi… t
Seward, Whittier
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsbor… t
Buckman
Madison, WI t
Capitol
Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO t
Highland
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marie… t
Old Fourth Ward
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington… t
Lower Greenville
Austin-Round Rock-San Marco… t
East Austin

Old 09-17-2014, 08:59 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caLa310 View Post
I get what you're saying but LA is not a hipster city.
Go to the Eastside of LA and tell me that LA isn't a hipster city. Even DTLA is really freaking hipster. But that's right....All of you guys only go to the West side thinking you've seen all of LA.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:34 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilming… t
Northern Liberties
IMO now the lower end of Fishtown is were the true hipsters reside now. Northern Liberties is too trendy and getting more expensive. Fishtown is in interesting mix of true blue collar Philadelphians (almost 100% when you get towards Port Richmond), the younger hipster cafe going millennial generation, and the phillyricans.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:50 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post

Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, … t
Lake View, Logan Square
Wait - you're saying Joliet and Naperville are the "hipster" havens in Chicago? How do you figure?

Also, I mean there are many problems with this list, but if you're looking at the stereotypical hipster definitions, how could any area of Madison compete with several Milwaukee neighborhoods (like Riverwest or Bayview for starters), to use one in-state example?

Old 09-17-2014, 09:54 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Astoria is an interesting choice for NYC-I have friends there and they are not "hipster" and I didn't ever really get that vibe there. I have said before if I lived in NYC again I would move to Astoria because it is somewhat affordable, pretty and close to Manhattan but I wonder if it has already become too trendy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City