Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City would you Declare the "King of Hip Hop"?
New York City 87 51.79%
Chicago 6 3.57%
Houston 14 8.33%
Atlanta 29 17.26%
Miami 5 2.98%
New Orleans 3 1.79%
Los Angeles 17 10.12%
Detroit 3 1.79%
St Louis 4 2.38%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:36 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,681,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
This is back and forth is DOA to me, people who read this who know about things of that nature will know who is talking out of the side of their neck and who is not. But one piece of advice before I go- Dont open your mouth about stuff you dont know about!!! Just because your from NYC doesnt mean you are street smart.
Wow and who are you to tell Rachael to shut her mouth? You are just a poster like everyone of us so, please do us a favor and.... I'll let you wonder what goes after the "and".

Old 08-18-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
LOL, grew up in between NW and SW Atlanta, then I lived in NE DC for a few years while I was in school. I'll take my chances walking around the South Bronx anyday of the week over walking thru say the Bluff in NW Atlanta or Trinidad in NE DC. But anyway, goodbye Rachael, you have ZERO cred with me!!!
You wouldnt survive in the South Bronx, I'll tell you that.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
nycricanpapi lives with his parents still. Does that mean he was gang bangin' during Sesame Street?
You are a funny character. I could live with my parents, but i was born and raised in the hood pal. Many people wouldn't survive here. I went to school in the South Bronx. And I'll tell you school in The Bronx is not like any where else. Here you have to know what to say and not to look at anybody weird, because you will get beat up because of it. Please come to the South Bronx, you will see what I am talking about. You say these things because you do not know anything about the SB.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:44 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,293,055 times
I've noticed something about certain Hip-Hop/R&B radio stations in the South (mainly Florida), 3 or 4 songs will be in heavy rotation all day, within a few days you won't like the songs as much. It gets real annoying and sometimes the other Hip-Hop/R&B radio station will play more songs. I never really heard a local artist being played on the radio in the South the way people on here say, yeah if its a hot song it will get played (just like NYC) but some people be exaggerating.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
wrong again. nyc radio stations continuously hated on california/l.a rappers and music in the early-mid 90s, mainly because of jealousy and because nobody could touch cali from 90 to 96/97.. difference is back then ny had actual artists of their own to play, both old and new
now they have nothing but washed up old rappers and southern wannabes
dont act like you dont know about MIMS and his corny fake south soundin song "this is why im hot"
or that chicken noodle soup song lol that was lyrical though right? hahahaha
ny rap is dead
It is dead because of the South duh! NY artists need to rap on the level of the southerns, because if not they would not get any where with the Hip Hop that is commercial now instead of lyrical. That's why. You did not know that? Wow..

Currently there are great rappers out there, the thing is that it is been overlooked because of the Southern Hip Hop trash that is being played now.

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 08-18-2009 at 12:57 AM..

Old 08-18-2009, 12:53 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,293,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
wrong again. nyc radio stations continuously hated on california/l.a rappers and music in the early-mid 90s, mainly because of jealousy and because nobody could touch cali from 90 to 96/97.. difference is back then ny had actual artists of their own to play, both old and new
now they have nothing but washed up old rappers and southern wannabes
dont act like you dont know about MIMS and his corny fake south soundin song "this is why im hot"
or that chicken noodle soup song lol that was lyrical though right? hahahaha
ny rap is dead
What you talkin bout? NY is the mecca of Hip-Hop, it plays all songs that are hot so all that NY hating on Cali is bull. The East and West was beefin back then so I wouldn't be surprised if West coast stuff was barely getting played in NYC, I doubt East coast stuff was getting played in Cali either. NY ain't hating on nobody.

MIMS is trash I don't know why people keep bringing his name up, where is he right now? I could name corny rappers from all over.

Chicken Noodle Soup was a dance, who really trying to hear mad lyrics when they trying to dance?

NY rap is dead? Fall back with that one.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:21 AM

433 posts, read 874,460 times
Hip hop is Dead foe tha last time. I'ts the rappers fault as well as everyone who bought the garbage. There was bad music in the 90's but it was not that much, hardly any. The classics outweighed the b.s.. Because of a few rappers and their step/dance music has nothing to do with the rest of america putting out good music. Think about it, if their was a lot of good choices out their people would not be blaming the south, you would be too busy listening to your own personal choice from your region. EVERYONE IS TO BLAME. IT IS NOT THAT HARD OF A CONCEPT TO UNDERSTAND. I KNOW NEW YORKERS CAN NOT GRASP THE FACT THAT THEY SHARE SOME OF THE BLAME, BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,461,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Because that's classic hip hop. It's where it started. You really don't seem to appreciate it like you say, since it's the first rap to come out. It's nothing compared to the crap dance rap to come out of the south.

Anyway, I'd MUCH rather take the meaningful rap from the 80s that had a deep, positive message, than rapping about ho*s, money, and arrogance.
You mean stuff like this?

YouTube - Jay Z Money,cash,hoes remix

Lol sorry, but you pretty much said the title of the song in your post which reminded me of it.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
You're too young to understand what it was like in NYC then.
Bad statement to make when you yourself are too young to have experienced it either.

Quote:
You also aren't from here to see firsthand what it was like back then.
Didn't you grow up in Long Island?

Quote:
You just said that White Lines is a negative message, and I just proved you wrong. It's about the negative impact of the crack epidemic in NYC. But you weren't around then to understand.
Didn't you just argue (incorrectly) that the crack epidemic started in '81?? And weren't you born in like '84, and not raised in the inner city? You're sounding like a 4th grader telling a 3rd grader that he isn't old enough to fully understand sex. You have no claim to life experience here yourself.

Quote:
Actually, no, it started around 1981 or so.
I didn't know this was up for debate. This is a matter of public record, and its a well-known fact that the crack epidemic hit in the mid-80's, not '81. Period.

Quote:
Free basing cocaine was a bigger problem than crack was in 1981.
I second that! My dad was a participant.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
I'm 25, and I can remember things as early as 2 years old. My whole family has lived in NYC for years and years, so they tell me about what the city was like in the earlier part of the epidemic.
Well my father was a junkie who abandoned my mom and I and lived in NYC from '80 to '88. He was addicted to powder and freebase first, and then crack later on once it hit NY. And he, along with the rest of the nation, concurs that the epidemic hit in the mid-80's. Drugs and crime may have been rampant, and particularly so in NYC, but the crack epidemic hadn't hit until then. I remember back in elementary school when I first heard about it on a TV show I was watching with my mom. And then later when I found out my dad was on it I wasn't even surprised. SF got hit with it too around that time, and Oakland was one of the cities that was hit really hard with it, and I remember when it would be in the news all the time. I was in 2nd or 3rd grade when it had really become a huge deal nationally.

But trust me, if it was big in '81, my dad would've been on it then. He was strung out and dwelling in the slums at the time, and the flood of crack came years after he'd moved out there. His purchases of it accounted for what would have been my child support money.

Here's some info that'll verify when it hit where:

From Sept. 19, 1988 - "Doctors have little doubt that crack is driving the new epidemic of drug- affected infants. "When crack cocaine hit Oakland, the number of small, sick babies just went through the roof," says Fulroth. The statistics bear him out. In 1984 some 5% of the newborns at Highland General Hospital, which serves Oakland's rough inner city, were contaminated with the drug. So far this year, about 20% of all babies born at Highland have been afflicted by crack."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...968449,00.html

"The first crack house had been discovered in Miami in 1982. However, this form of cocaine was not fully appreciated as a major threat because it was primarily being consumed by middle class users who were not associated with cocaine addicts. In fact, crack was initially considered a purely Miami phenomenon until it became a serious problem in New York City, where it first appeared in December 1983. In the New York City area, it was estimated that more than three-fourths of the early crack consumers were white professionals or middle-class youngsters from Long Island, suburban New Jersey, or upper-class Westchester County. However, partly because crack sold for as little as $5 a rock, it ultimately spread to less affluent neighborhoods.
The crack epidemic dramatically increased the numbers of Americans addicted to cocaine. In 1985, the number of people who admitted using cocaine on a routine basis increased from 4.2 million to 5.8 million, according to the Department of Health and Human Service's National Household Survey. Likewise, cocaine-related hospital emergencies continued to increase nationwide during 1985 and 1986. According to DAWN statistics, in 1985, cocaine-related hospital emergencies rose by 12 percent, from 23,500 to 26,300; and in 1986, they increased 110 percent, from 26,300 to 55,200. Between 1984 and 1987, cocaine incidents increased fourfold.

By early 1986, crack had a stranglehold on the ghettos of New York City and was dominated by traffickers and dealers from the Dominican Republic. Crack distribution and abuse exploded in 1986, and by year-end was available in 28 states and the District of Columbia. According to the 1985-1986 National Narcotics Intelligence Consumers Committee Report, crack was available in Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Kansas City, Miami, New York City, Newark, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, Dallas, Denver, Minneapolis, and Phoenix."

http://www.deamuseum.org/dea_history_book/1985_1990.htm (broken link)

So you can see, it didn't become any kind of epidemic until the mid-80's.

Last edited by jman650; 08-18-2009 at 02:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City