Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 03:52 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
which cities do you suggest then?
Honestly, with the exception of Miami I can't recommend any city for scuba diving. I'm from Florida, and have lived all up and down the west coast of the state. Even my hometown of Naples is bad for scuba diving. The water is always murky and you can barely see a thing. The only time I ever scuba dived and truly enjoyed the experience was down in the Florida keys. Miami is the closest major city to the keys.

For snowboarding then you will obviously want to live out west. I just moved to Denver, which is close proximity to lots of snowboarding places. But even then, you aren't going to be going snowboarding every weekend. That stuff is EXPENSIVE.

You have a very strange criteria for your ideal city. Lets keep our feet in reality and realize that no one is going to be going scuba diving or snowboarding whenever they want. And no city on earth is close to both snowboarding and scuba diving, as the water close to snowboarding is going to be too freezing to scuba in.

Pick which activity you are want and move close to that activity. And Atlanta and Dallas are close to neither.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
You just said the dumbest thing in CD History.

Have you ever been to Atlanta??
Have you looked up information about Atlanta?
Could you look up information about Atlanta before you start trashing out?
Don't even get me going. I just escaped from Atlanta after living there for 7 months of this year. And I lived in Midtown which is one of the better areas to live in. The city is FILTHY, and ghetto, and does have one of the worst job markets in the nation. It even has high taxes for gods sake. I can think of no reason for anyone to want to live there.

I try to find the good in every place I visit and live in, but I left Atlanta with literally nothing pleasant to say about it.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Filthy"? Give me a break. The job market is getting better and for tech, it's pretty good. Crime is pretty localized.
Try and find Atlanta on this list. Here's a hint - it is way down at the bottom!

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

And yes, the city is filthy, with crime and bums and thugs all over the place.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I didn't give much credence to the statement "ATL is filty" because every big city has it's filthy parts.

San Francisco is a beautiful city overall but right next to downtown is the Tenderloin district, at night it feels downright creepy with druggies, homeless, vagrants and there is absolute filth everywhere. It is also one of the most dangerous areas in the country.

Los Angeles has it's downtown Skid Row, Watts, Compton, Inglewood, South Central,

this is LA's Skid Row area in downtown, so LA has plenty of filth as well if you are looking for it. Plenty of neighborhoods in LA look just like the one below.
Atlanta has vast swaths of filth just like that all over the city. You have to go out of your way to find places like that in San Francisco and LA. Atlanta is like that even in the "nice" parts of town. Atlanta's downtown district is a disgrace to the developed world.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:31 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Atlanta has vast swaths of filth just like that all over the city. You have to go out of your way to find places like that in San Francisco and LA. Atlanta is like that even in the "nice" parts of town. Atlanta's downtown district is a disgrace to the developed world.
Hyperbole much?

Old 09-14-2014, 05:02 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Don't even get me going. I just escaped from Atlanta after living there for 7 months of this year. And I lived in Midtown which is one of the better areas to live in. The city is FILTHY, and ghetto, and does have one of the worst job markets in the nation. It even has high taxes for gods sake. I can think of no reason for anyone to want to live there.

I try to find the good in every place I visit and live in, but I left Atlanta with literally nothing pleasant to say about it.
I'm not the biggest fan of Atlanta either but I loved the lush scenery, the friendly people, and the large upwardly mobile black community. The weather is also pleasantly temperate compared to most of the south.

There are far far worse places. For me anyway.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:33 PM

708 posts, read 999,598 times
Quote:

You call us filthy but go to NYC "Rats,Nasty trains,Poop on sidewalks???

"7 months" and you left?!?!?! Sounds like you just went to ATL for no reason just because and I have a feeling that your'e lying....

Anyways, Atlanta is improving and next year will be one of the best years in Atlanta.And the about those jobs there are plenty maybeeeeeee, you wasn't looking hard enough.
+ I never seen you on the Atlanta forum ....

Well let me keep my mouth shut before I go off.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:48 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
So, you expect us to believe your opinion because you visited Atlanta for 7 months. Oh, What an expert you are.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:53 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:

Yep! This sure looks "filthy and ghetto" to me ...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-part-1-a.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-part-2-a.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-part-3-a.html

Quote:
Yep! Ansley Park, Druid Hills, Virginia Highland, Morningside, Buckhead, etc. are all ghetto!

Get real, dude. You're not fooling anyone.

(BTW ... does everybody else see the irony of someone from Miami calling Atlanta "ghetto?")

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-14-2014 at 08:07 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 08:04 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
All those old houses and paint on the walls! Get out as fast as you can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City