Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most stressful to live?
New York 45 45.45%
Los Angeles 10 10.10%
Chicago 2 2.02%
Washington DC 8 8.08%
San Francisco 5 5.05%
Boston 1 1.01%
Philadelphia 4 4.04%
Dallas 1 1.01%
Miami 0 0%
Houston 3 3.03%
Atlanta 4 4.04%
Detroit 6 6.06%
Seattle 2 2.02%
Phoenix 1 1.01%
Minneapolis 0 0%
Cleveland 0 0%
Denver 1 1.01%
San Diego 0 0%
Portland 1 1.01%
Orlando 1 1.01%
St Louis 2 2.02%
Tampa 0 0%
Pittsburgh 1 1.01%
Sacramento 0 0%
Charlotte 1 1.01%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:52 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,203 times

Advertisements

What city is most stressful to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 10:31 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
New York, without doubt. Actually, Long Island might rank a little higher.

Boston, Philadelphia and D.C. might be next in line. Northeastern cities are almost proud of their stress and attitudes.

Depending on one's situation, in no particular order, Miami, Chicago, L.A., the Bay Area (as a whole), and Atlanta would be the next "tier" of stressful.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:42 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
What city is most stressful to live?
I think its stressful to be poor.....so the poorest cities out of the list would probably be the most stressful I would think.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:45 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,006 times
Everything about Los Angeles stresses me out

Old 09-16-2014, 10:46 AM

555 posts, read 862,099 times
Anywhere on the east coast. Just talking to my clients on the east coast is tiresome.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:39 PM

390 posts, read 941,084 times
Step onto a crowded NYC subway and you will live "stress"

Old 09-16-2014, 01:51 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
Step onto a crowded NYC subway and you will live "stress"
What's stressful about it? I've taken very crowded trains dozens of times in NYC and I take them every morning and night in Chicago. I'm normally never "stressed" when riding the train. I just daydream, play candy crush, listen to music, text, close my eyes and rest a bit, etc. All you're doing is sitting or standing there. Sometimes the train is too busy to squeeze on during rush - you just chill out and wait for the next, they come within 2-3 minutes at rush.

I always find tourists seem to be the most stressed regardless of if I'm on the subway in NYC or Chicago. They normally aren't sure where they're getting off, and seem all freaked out if its crowded. Normally it's worse too because they don't understand any of the general etiquette, like don't stand in the doorway, let people off before you get on, etc.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:22 PM

390 posts, read 941,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What's stressful about it? I've taken very crowded trains dozens of times in NYC and I take them every morning and night in Chicago. I'm normally never "stressed" when riding the train. I just daydream, play candy crush, listen to music, text, close my eyes and rest a bit, etc. All you're doing is sitting or standing there. Sometimes the train is too busy to squeeze on during rush - you just chill out and wait for the next, they come within 2-3 minutes at rush.

I always find tourists seem to be the most stressed regardless of if I'm on the subway in NYC or Chicago. They normally aren't sure where they're getting off, and seem all freaked out if its crowded. Normally it's worse too because they don't understand any of the general etiquette, like don't stand in the doorway, let people off before you get on, etc.
If pushing and shoving your way through crowded platforms and even more crowded trains isn't stressful, then what are you smoking? I can't tell you how many physical and/or verbal fights I've seen break out on the subway because someone got pushed, stomped or just disrespected. And then there's the delays which occur frequently and prevent you from getting where you're going on-time..."we are delayed because of train traffic ahead of us" or "we are delayed because a passenger is in need of medical assistance in the train ahead of us". Then there's construction and re-routes, and let's not forget about the undesirables you encounter on the subway - the panhandlers, the beggars, the lunatics (ever see that woman who shouts at the top of her lungs and blows snot on the floor?), the homeless, the stinky, the rude...all jam packed like sardines. You cannot move and you cannot breathe. Then you get those people who push their way onto the train so they can try to get a seat, even before people have exited the train.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:54 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
I dunno, I think road rage >>>>subway rage.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
If pushing and shoving your way through crowded platforms and even more crowded trains isn't stressful, then what are you smoking? I can't tell you how many physical and/or verbal fights I've seen break out on the subway because someone got pushed, stomped or just disrespected. And then there's the delays which occur frequently and prevent you from getting where you're going on-time..."we are delayed because of train traffic ahead of us" or "we are delayed because a passenger is in need of medical assistance in the train ahead of us". Then there's construction and re-routes, and let's not forget about the undesirables you encounter on the subway - the panhandlers, the beggars, the lunatics (ever see that woman who shouts at the top of her lungs and blows snot on the floor?), the homeless, the stinky, the rude...all jam packed like sardines. You cannot move and you cannot breathe. Then you get those people who push their way onto the train so they can try to get a seat, even before people have exited the train.
I don't know where in the hell you're riding the trains but 99% of my rides in NYC and Chicago have been totally opposite!! I don't recall the last time I saw anyone getting pushed, shoved and stomped at stations. Normally they are chilling out listening to their iphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City