Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:07 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The point is, and it's a valid one, that enclaves in Chicago that are in fact "younger" are also more segregated and less "Americanized" than in many areas of the SW. So if you want to find food closer to authentic/unchanged, and Tex Mex and so on are definitely Americanized alterations, you can really find that sort of thing all over Chicago. And Milwaukee. And other Midwestern metros with significant Mexican populations.

I disagree that it's "higher quality," though. But anyone with experience in both regions recognizes that you can get great and plentiful Mexican food in both LA and Chicago. Why would this be at all surprising with close to a million Mexicans in the metro?
The Midwest, IMO, has higher quality food than the Southwest in general, particularly in the summer when all the fantastic produce is in season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:23 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Italian Food? New York City

Steak? Dallas or Chicago?

Asian Food? San Francisco

Mexican Food? Los Angeles

Cuban Food? Miami

Vietnamese Food? Houston

English Food? No clue. I would assume Boston

Cajun Food? Lafayette, Louisiana

Good 'ole American Food? Memphis

Old 11-03-2014, 10:29 AM

465 posts, read 658,825 times
I think part of the issue is that Americans tend to believe that there's actually a single "authentic" variety of any foreign food. Mexico's a big place, the food you find in Baja California is very different than what you get served in the Yucatan, even if you order the same thing, much like how you'll get different variations on pizzas, hot dogs and hamburgers throughout the US.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:26 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
I think part of the issue is that Americans tend to believe that there's actually a single "authentic" variety of any foreign food. Mexico's a big place, the food you find in Baja California is very different than what you get served in the Yucatan, even if you order the same thing, much like how you'll get different variations on pizzas, hot dogs and hamburgers throughout the US.
You've missed the point, though - in the more segregated Midwestern cities that have "younger" populations, less has been done to "Americanize" Mexican food joints. San Fran is famous for the Mission burritos which are Americanized versions of Mexican food (or fill in with any of the many variations of Cal Mex); Tex Mex is Americanized; the NM green chile cuisine is a regional variation that was also heavily influenced by the Spanish as well as the local proliferation of green chiles; and so on. Many of these variations are very delicious! However, there are less American alterations to Chicago Mexican than most of the Mexican throughout the SW, regardless of the region the restaurant draws from.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:39 AM

465 posts, read 658,825 times
Quote:
You've missed the point, though - in the more segregated Midwestern cities that have "younger" populations, less has been done to "Americanize" Mexican food joints. San Fran is famous for the Mission burritos which are Americanized versions of Mexican food (or fill in with any of the many variations of Cal Mex); Tex Mex is Americanized; the NM green chile cuisine is a regional variation that was also heavily influenced by the Spanish as well as the local proliferation of green chiles; and so on. Many of these variations are very delicious! However, there are less American alterations to Chicago Mexican than most of the Mexican throughout the SW, regardless of the region the restaurant draws from.
I disagree, totally. Los Angeles and Texas also have very young Mexican populations. Chicago actually would rank very highly on my list of Mexican food in the US, but it's no more "authentic" than what you find in East LA or the McAllen area, in my experience. That it's different from the still tasty fusion styles you'll find in mission burritos, Tex-Mex or Baja Fresh style Cal-Mex places doesn't make their more "authentic" places found throughout these cities any less "authentic".

Old 11-03-2014, 09:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
The point is, and it's a valid one, that enclaves in Chicago that are in fact "younger" are also more segregated and less "Americanized" than in many areas of the SW. So if you want to find food closer to authentic/unchanged, and Tex Mex and so on are definitely Americanized alterations, you can really find that sort of thing all over Chicago. And Milwaukee. And other Midwestern metros with significant Mexican populations.

I disagree that it's "higher quality," though. But anyone with experience in both regions recognizes that you can get great and plentiful Mexican food in both LA and Chicago. Why would this be at all surprising with close to a million Mexicans in the metro?
I can't see any plausible argument a more recent wave of Mexican immigrants to the Midwest would account for more a "authentic" version of their native cuisine than what is provided by the continuous and unabated Mexican migratory pattern seen throughout the Southwest for decades or even centuries. That constant migratory pattern is the very reason that population is considerably larger. The fact it is also more established does not mean the composition of that population has become static; simple geographic proximity prevents that. And of that more established population, there are millions of multi-generational Chicanos who about whom nobody - other than prideful Mexican nationals - would describe as being "Americanized".

I suspect the main reason people in the Midwest are turning on to this new reality to this degree is because its relatively new to the Midwest. But it's like saying Italian cuisine is more "authentic" in Phoenix than New Jersey. Except here, Italy would be right across the border in New York. BTW - I hate the fact I'm putting the word authentic in quotes, but that's another discussion and one which others, including RustBelt, have aptly remarked upon.

But I do agree the quality argument can be subjective. Good Mexican meals can be found in most US cities if you look for it.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:30 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I can't see any plausible argument a more recent wave of Mexican immigrants to the Midwest would account for more a "authentic" version of their native cuisine than what is provided by the continuous and unabated Mexican migratory pattern seen throughout the Southwest for decades or even centuries. That constant migratory pattern is the very reason that population is considerably larger. The fact it is also more established does not mean the composition of that population has become static; simple geographic proximity prevents that. And of that more established population, there are millions of multi-generational Chicanos who about whom nobody - other than prideful Mexican nationals - would describe as being "Americanized".

I suspect the main reason people in the Midwest are turning on to this new reality to this degree is because its relatively new to the Midwest. But it's like saying Italian cuisine is more "authentic" in Phoenix than New Jersey. Except here, Italy would be right across the border in New York. BTW - I hate the fact I'm putting the word authentic in quotes, but that's another discussion and one which others, including RustBelt, have aptly remarked upon.

But I do agree the quality argument can be subjective. Good Mexican meals can be found in most US cities if you look for it.
It's the same thing. Finding authentic Italian in New Jersey is just difficult too because the Italian-American community is so prevalent. Go any where in Jersey, and you'll be hard-pressed to find good grilled sardines or goat orecchiette. Instead, it's all spaghetti and meatballs, chicken parm, and baked ziti. Those dishes don't exist in Italy. That's why my vote for best Italian goes to the San Francisco Bay Area.

But back to the Mexican food conversation, I've lived in Arizona for 18 years and Chicago for 8. And between the two there is no comparison at all. Chicago kills it. In Arizona there are some authentic taquerias dishing up menudo and tacos al pastor, and there are lots of Mexican-American places serving chicken chimis and cheese crisps. You don't see regional Mexican cuisine or authentic Mexican fine dining in Arizona. God, I remember once I was trying to make enchiladas, and I couldn't even find a store that sold Chihuahua cheese, and this was in Tucson--just 60 miles from Mexico! Nor could I buy tomatillos in the grocery store (this was in the 90s--hopefully things have gotten better). Whereas Chicago has it all: cheap taquerias, tamales on the street, authentic regional Mexican cuisine, Mexican fine dining, not-so-authentic Mexican-French fusion, Mexican bakeries, and great Mexican grocery stores. I'm sorry, but I don't see that much diversity and that much quality in the Mexican food in Arizona. Even the Sonoran hot dogs are better in Chicago.

As far as LA is concerned, that's where my family lives. I've visited twice a year my entire life, but I've never lived there (though, I did briefly live in the lilly-white northern suburbs of San Diego). I'll be the first to admit that there's a lot of LA that I haven't seen, and a lot that changes with each visit, but it seems like it has the same Mexican food scene as Arizona, just with better mariscos. Whenever I go to LA, I treat myself to Thai.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-04-2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Time to get off Mexican food.... but to add where to get authentic ethnic cuisine? You seek a community with enough of that ethnic groups transplants. Known as the Little Mexico of town and seek there? Example
I work with a Porto Rican women. She wants authentic food she seeks a town 50 miles away with a large Porto Rican community to have a authentic PR Grocery store and Bakery and Restaurants? There she buys her supplies and goodies, that she can't in my small town.

But with no little Chicago by me? If I want a AITHENTIC CHICAGO-STYLE HOT DOG...I HAVE TO GO 900 MILES TO THE GREAT CITY ON A GREAT LAKE. CHICAGO ITSELF for one of these.

A Chicago-style hot dog when in town I hit this pub downtown among the skyscrapers
And a Brew here......... ⤵

Last edited by steeps; 12-29-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 11-04-2014, 08:47 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
I can tell which people actually have experience with both Chicago and SW Mexican food here...there are close to 1,000,000 Mexicans in Chicago, and it has had significant Mexican enclaves for generations. Only the bizarre proximity issue seems to be in effect here - how could Chicago possibly have great authentic Mexican food when it snows there?!? Well, because there are close to a million Mexicans in Chicago. Plus - go eat there. Great Mexican food. The end.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
It's the same thing. Finding authentic Italian in New Jersey is just difficult too because the Italian-American community is so prevalent. Go any where in Jersey, and you'll be hard-pressed to find good grilled sardines or goat orecchiette. Instead, it's all spaghetti and meatballs, chicken parm, and baked ziti.
I am no expert on New Jersey but I find that very hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City