Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More fast paced?
Atlanta 91 56.88%
Baltimore 69 43.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
You're trying to tell me that there aren't a lot of people in the Southern suburbs of Baltimore that work in the suburbs or city of D.C.? The whole State of Maryland's economy is given a big boost by D.C.
Yes I'm telling you that.... The dc suburbs of Maryland get their boost from dc for example montgomery county but not the whole state. You should do your research before you claim things. They have the stats of how much people travel and work in DC in its surrounding areas. Also Baltimore is quite a drive, people aren't going to want to make that commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 09:56 AM

305 posts, read 416,501 times
Never been to B'More, all I can say is ATL has gotten even more fast paced these last few years, uncomfortably so.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:23 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Yes I'm telling you that.... The dc suburbs of Maryland get their boost from dc for example montgomery county but not the whole state. You should do your research before you claim things. They have the stats of how much people travel and work in DC in its surrounding areas. Also Baltimore is quite a drive, people aren't going to want to make that commute.
Ok. If you want to deny D.C. has a lot to do with Maryland's economic prosperity that's your business. The Maryland State Web site doesn't deny it. They state that several federal institutions located in Maryland because of its location near D.C. drive Maryland's emerging technology industries including huge defense technology endeavors.

John Hopkins University and Hospital are huge engines for the Baltimore area and the biggest employer in the entire state of Maryland. In their Web site they repeatedly refer to themselves as a School in the Baltimore-Washington area. Several of their campuses are located in the D.C. Metro. They do a lot of research for the Federal government which is located where?..D.C.

You share your airport with D.C. for Christ sake!

Trust me. You don't want to see Baltimore or Maryland's economy with no D.C.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:34 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Fast place cities are generally more dynamic and exciting.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:56 AM

406 posts, read 485,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I was going by City of Atlanta and Baltimore figures not metro figures. I know much of Metro Baltimore is actually linked with D.C. which gives it higher figures but the City of Atlanta blows the City of Baltimore away. That is a straight fact. Don't go look up Baltimore County figures and say "ah ha- I got you again." Baltimore County figures are much higher than Baltimore City.

If it wasn't for jobs provided from D.C.s presence it wouldn't even be close.
Yet another absolutely ridiculous post by Sir Galounger. City proper? Baltimore hasn't annexed additional land since the beginning of the 20th Century. City proper hardly captures the full reality of cities in America today. You assumed that Baltimore was backwards both in education & income and you were proved wrong.

If we're talking city proper then I think it's worth mentioning that Atlanta is 130 square miles and has 447,000 residents. Baltimore is 80 square miles and has 620,000 residents. Using your logic I guess that means Baltimore is the bigger city!

Old 10-25-2014, 12:47 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
Yet another absolutely ridiculous post by Sir Galounger. City proper? Baltimore hasn't annexed additional land since the beginning of the 20th Century. City proper hardly captures the full reality of cities in America today. You assumed that Baltimore was backwards both in education & income and you were proved wrong.

If we're talking city proper then I think it's worth mentioning that Atlanta is 130 square miles and has 447,000 residents. Baltimore is 80 square miles and has 620,000 residents. Using your logic I guess that means Baltimore is the bigger city!
Raleigh's population will be surpassing Atlanta's in the very near future.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:56 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Raleigh's population will be surpassing Atlanta's in the very near future.
Oklahoma City has probably already surpassed Baltimore at this point.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:08 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oklahoma City has probably already surpassed Baltimore at this point.
Great for OKC. They're at 610k, btw; Baltimore is at 620k.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:11 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Great for OKC.
And great for Raleigh.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:32 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post

Late to the conversation?

I already stated that while Baltimore City was much less prosperous than the City of Atlanta that Metro wise it was competitive to Atlanta Metro thanks to the influence it got from being close to D.C. ***

Deluusions tried to deny this influence (I guess his name gives a clue as to why) and I referred to a couple of Web sites where the State of Maryland itself and some of Baltimores biggest employers (including John Hopkins research Hospital and University) all state that they owe a huge deal of their success to their proximity to D.C.

Okay. Now you are caught up.

*** Actually though not as far behind as City figures, the Baltimore Metro median household income figures are considerably lower than Metro Atlanta's figures. (This according to City-Data)

All this I bring up to pose the question. If you guys are supposedly zipping around so much quicker than we are down here (this is what earlier posters are saying) why are you making so much less money? There must be a lot of wasted movement involved.

Last edited by Galounger; 10-25-2014 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City