U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:19 AM

25,208 posts, read 31,383,930 times

Advertisements

Crossville Tennessee and Putnam county have had real bad problem with Meth in past. They are now just getting these area's cleaned up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 AM

1,358 posts, read 2,266,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Guess we are looking at 2 different maps.

Looks like Missouri (#1 by far), Indiana (#2 and well above #3), Michigan and Illinois are 4 out of the top 8 worst. Didn't realize the Midwest was considered the South now.

The study also found that most of the labs were in urban areas.
Come on you know better than that. Missouri can either be Southern or Midwestern depending on who you talk to, and how many people live in Indiana, Michigan, and Illinois compared to places such as Alabama and Mississippi?

Midwest:
Indiana- 11.35 incidents/100K
Michigan- 3.28 incidents/100K
Illinois- 2.51 incidents/100K

South:
Alabama- 7.09 incidents/100K
Mississippi- 10.07 incidents/100K
Tennessee- 8.89 incidents/100K

Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM

8,489 posts, read 11,356,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Come on you know better than that. Missouri can either be Southern or Midwestern depending on who you talk to, and how many people live in Indiana, Michigan, and Illinois compared to places such as Alabama and Mississippi?

Midwest:
Indiana- 11.35 incidents/100K
Michigan- 3.28 incidents/100K
Illinois- 2.51 incidents/100K

South:
Alabama- 7.09 incidents/100K
Mississippi- 10.07 incidents/100K
Tennessee- 8.89 incidents/100K
So I guess you just decide where Missouri sits depending on if it fits your post I guess.

And being we don't know the size of the operation for each incident the population can not be factored in.

The numbers are not counting drug users they are counting meth labs.

Here is a map showing the primary market areas according to the National Drug Intelligence Center
The cities shown out west are primary market areas also because of either high production or Mexican shipments going through but it is not expanded much out of the cities.

Here are the primary domestic production areas.
The red dots are super labs.

Looks like the only southern state is Arkansas.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 PM

1,358 posts, read 2,266,414 times
Quote:
So I guess you just decide where Missouri sits depending on if it fits your post I guess.

And being we don't know the size of the operation for each incident the population can not be factored in.

The numbers are not counting drug users they are counting meth labs.

Here is a map showing the primary market areas according to the National Drug Intelligence Center
The cities shown out west are primary market areas also because of either high production or Mexican shipments going through but it is not expanded much out of the cities.

Here are the primary domestic production areas.
The red dots are super labs.

Looks like the only southern state is Arkansas.
I don't care where Missouri is, I just said that it's considered both Southern and Midwestern. Your joking when you say "that population cannot be factored in" right? So all the meth labs in Michigan are huge, but the ones in Alabama are tiny. I'm pretty sure that the size of the labs is normally distributed in each state (well, apart from California anyway).

Also those maps you posted doesn't prove at all that meth is more prevalent in the South. They paints the rest of the country green as if meth didn't exist there and only show the states with the highest gross numbers. For all I know meth doesn't exist in any other Midwestern state, but is spread throughout every Southern state, just in lower numbers than the "Big 5." Apart from Indiana (and MO if you consider in "MidWestern"), my population argument still stands.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:52 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,480,537 times
Vegas has a fairly serious meth problem...the numbers may not reflect it but that is most likely because the police seem to largely ignore it.

Meth heads all over the place even in the nicer neighborhoods.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I don't care where Missouri is, I just said that it's considered both Southern and Midwestern. Your joking when you say "that population cannot be factored in" right? So all the meth labs in Michigan are huge, but the ones in Alabama are tiny. I'm pretty sure that the size of the labs is normally distributed in each state (well, apart from California anyway).

Also those maps you posted doesn't prove at all that meth is more prevalent in the South. They paints the rest of the country green as if meth didn't exist there and only show the states with the highest gross numbers. For all I know meth doesn't exist in any other Midwestern state, but is spread throughout every Southern state, just in lower numbers than the "Big 5." Apart from Indiana (and MO if you consider in "MidWestern"), my population argument still stands.
Missouri is Midwest. Argue with the US Census Bureau if you have a problem with that.

And I am certainly serious when I said that population can not be figured in. Why don't you try looking at Fed. Meth seizures by weight. You will see that Indiana and those states will be in the 7-9 kg area and Alabama, Mississippi will be in the 2-3 kg area. Bigger labs, as I already pointed out, that is why the seizure amounts will be triple or more.

The maps show exactly what they say they show. Primary market and production area. If you can grasp the difference between primary and secondary you can figure out what the maps are showing.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:50 PM

24 posts, read 48,569 times
It seems to be North of the midwest around Minnesota to Indiana then all the way south to mississippi then west to the pacific coast area seems to be the majority of meth problems

Old 02-24-2010, 10:21 PM

902 posts, read 1,613,141 times
Quote:
Missouri is Midwest. Argue with the US Census Bureau if you have a problem with that.

And I am certainly serious when I said that population can not be figured in. Why don't you try looking at Fed. Meth seizures by weight. You will see that Indiana and those states will be in the 7-9 kg area and Alabama, Mississippi will be in the 2-3 kg area. Bigger labs, as I already pointed out, that is why the seizure amounts will be triple or more.

The maps show exactly what they say they show. Primary market and production area. If you can grasp the difference between primary and secondary you can figure out what the maps are showing.
Cterp is right, Missouri is often considered to be the South. Go to any small town in the southern half of Missouri, at least where I lived at one point and still have family in El Dorado Springs and Nevada, most everyone in those towns consider themselves to be southern and not mid western.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Cterp is right, Missouri is often considered to be the South. Go to any small town in the southern half of Missouri, at least where I lived at one point and still have family in El Dorado Springs and Nevada, most everyone in those towns consider themselves to be southern and not mid western.
US Census Bureau Map
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/Midwest6.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM

68 posts, read 117,603 times
Look like everyone loves meth in the US. End of thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City