Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 01:37 PM

197 posts, read 181,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Not as windy, though. I guess 10 million people really must not mind the colder winter. If they did, they would move.
And they are. Chicago is constantly losing population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Actually, NYC gets more precipitation - that would mean snow as well as rain.

Monthly Averages for New York, NY

Monthly Averages for Chicago, IL
We get more rain than snow in the Winter, Chicago looks very cold in the Winter , that low of 16 with wind would make me stay inside every night during the Winter.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
We get more rain than snow in the Winter, Chicago looks very cold in the Winter , that low of 16 with wind would make me stay inside every night during the Winter.
And most people are. Chicago is absolutely miserable in the winter. If you do not believe that search the Chicago forum for posts about winter...

Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
And they are. Chicago is constantly losing population.
Actually, that's not true. What the city has lost over the decades, the metro has gained. In 1950, Chicago's metro population was five and a half million - it's now close to ten million. People are hardly leaving the Chicago area.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:56 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
I recently did some research.

The oldest buildings in Illinois date back to the 1700s. The Cahokia courthouse as well as a fort in Prairie du Rocher date back to the mid to late 1700s. Both in towns along the Mississippi south of St. Louis.

Vincennes, Indiana on the Wabash was the site of a rather important battle in the American Revolution. Fort Mackinac on Mackinac Island has original buildings dating back to the late 1700s.

Detroit was involved with the war of 1812. The oldest house in Chicago is the Clarke House from 1836. The oldest church is Old St. Pats from 1850.

The oldest church in Philly is from about 1700. The oldest structures in Boston I found out date back to about 1680s. For New York its a little older, with structures still standing from the 1640s.

Someone already mentioned the pre-civil war architecture of touristy towns such as Galena and Saugatuck.

On average the east coast has about 150 years of history more than the Great Lakes/Miss/Ohio Rivers. Not quite 200. But yes I'm not arguing that is older.

But again, when you compare any American history/attractions to Europe, the northeast and Great Lakes have more in common. Just that things are a bit more spread out in the Great Lakes/midwest.

So, when compared to Europe, middle east, Mesoamerica, parts of East and South Asia, anywhere in the U.S. seems pretty recent. Except the pueblos and cliff dwellings of the southwest.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Actually, that's not true. What the city has lost over the decades, the metro has gained. In 1950, Chicago's metro population was five and a half million - it's now close to ten million. People are hardly leaving the Chicago area.
Fortunately for you you are the only big city in the are so the constant influx of Iowans, Hoosiers, Wisconsinites and Ohians keeps the area going.
No eeryone can just pack up and go but places like Phoenix are full of Chicago expats.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:02 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Fortunately for you you are the only big city in the are so the constant influx of Iowans, Hoosiers, Wisconsinites and Ohians keeps the area going.
No eeryone can just pack up and go but places like Phoenix are full of Chicago expats.
I don't live in Chicago. My two brothers live in the Chicago suburbs, though. One's next door neighbor is from France, the neighbor behind is from Long Island, and several of his co-workers are from the Northeast. My other brother owns a company, and he has employees from New York, D.C., Boston, and Philadelphia. It's a smaller company too. There are plenty of people from other areas of the country following their careers to Chicago.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Quote:
I do not think Chicago is balanced, hard nosed or dynamic. Nothing ever changes in Chicago, the same political machine is robbing the city of resources over and over again. If anything I think Chicago is completely stagnant which can be seen in a persistent racial segregation in the city.
You of course are more then welcomed to make more of overinflated claims. Attention Chicago enjoys in the country clearly shows what the country thinks of Chicago.

Yes, freezing your ass off at 8F (last winter) is terribly romantic

You only say that because Paris does not live here. I know youguys and your "if we can't have we do not want it' attitude. Of course you would love to have Paris in town. Paris, Spielberg, Pacino, Tarrantino, Minelli, Spike Lee and other who form America's cultural elite. You would but you can't because somehow Chicago's greatness is lost on them so you can only post some dumb comments about Paris like she was the only celebrity that shunns Chicago.
Even this board shows how much you crave attention of the world, reading some threads about Olympics in Chicago one could think we are talking about relocating both Wall Street nd Capitol Hill to Chicago and not just a few weeks long sporting event.

Chicago - denial capital of the US. I even take the South over Chicago, at least they do not pretend and are proud of who they are. You on the other hand chose to pretend to be what you will never be.

Since your in my head (know my opinion) and live in Chicago, then I'm sure your an expert.

Did you notice that I didn't put down NYC once in my post?

You couldn't be more dead wrong. Totally dead wrong.

I do not look up to celebrities. I do not strive to be like them. If anything I strive to not be like most of them.

I don't want to bounce from party to party high off of coke or other party drugs. I don't want to spend tens of thousands of dollars on elaborate parties to feed my ego. If thats your thing, than by all means go for it. It's an unfortunate existance, but everybody has to live their own life.

As far as the segregation thing goes...

Well there was this guy named Jack...and Jack had a groove...

Wait...its a Chicago secret. You wouldn't know anything about it. Go google it and report back.

Next response dementor...

Old 08-27-2009, 02:12 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
I don't live in Chicago. My two brothers live in the Chicago suburbs, though. One's next door neighbor is from France, the neighbor behind is from Long Island, and several of his co-workers are from the Northeast. My other brother owns a company, and he has employees from New York, D.C., Boston, and Philadelphia. It's a smaller company too. There are plenty of people from other areas of the country following their careers to Chicago.
In my neighborhood (1 block radius) we have transplants from Vermont, PA, Ireland, UK, CAlifornia. Of course there are also midwesterners (thankfully), just like the VAST majority of citizens in White Plains are from the East Coast.

But of course,-- dementor would say those states/countries, for our purposes, should be considered Midwestern.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You couldn't be more dead wrong. Totally dead wrong.

I do not look up to celebrities. I do not strive to be like them. If anything I strive to not be like most of them.

I don't want to bounce from party to party high off of coke or other party drugs. I don't want to spend tens of thousands of dollars on elaborate parties to feed my ego. If thats your thing, than by all means go for it. It's an unfortunate existance, but everybody has to live their own life.
So you are saying all celebrities bounce from party to party? You mean when you think about celebrities it is not John Voigt and Spielberg but only Paris Hilton and LiLo? That's very deep. I admire your judgemental and condesceding view of celebrities. We all know nothing good ever came out of that circle. Who cares for cultural elites? Definetely not Chicago. I guess this attitude helps you cope with the fact they don't care for Chicago and in the same time proves how down-to-earth and unassuming you really are

Last edited by take2; 08-27-2009 at 02:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City