Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 04:45 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
Again. One can only admire your art of discussion. No way to win on arguments so let's try this famous Midwestern wit.
Again, there is a good reason why nobody cares for Chicago.
Thanks dementor. Appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 05:42 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,271 times
eurous1/Dementor/Take2 is a freaking joke.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
And btw.. since when is White Plains "a real city". I'm sure it's a nice suburb, but I really think it's a mixed in, middle-upper sprawler somewhere on a highway between Albany and New York City. I'm sure it's fine, at least for you.
If White Plains isn't a "real city", than wow, most of Chicagoland would be a favela on the plains.

White Plains is 30 minutes from Manhattan, (closer than Evanston is to Chicago) and a hell of a lot denser and more desirable than any Chicago suburb.

Hell, it's more desirable than any Chicago neighborhood outside of the Gold Coast and maybe one or two streets in Lincoln Park.

Who the hell would live in some frat boy crapbox parking garage/apartment filing cabinet in River North or Streeterville, when one could live in a 40-floor Ritz Carlton or Trump Tower in Westchester County, NY and live just 30 minutes from Midtown, the largest business district on earth?

Oh, and better shopping, too.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:38 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
If White Plains isn't a "real city", than wow, most of Chicagoland would be a favela on the plains.

White Plains is 30 minutes from Manhattan, (closer than Evanston is to Chicago) and a hell of a lot denser and more desirable than any Chicago suburb.

Hell, it's more desirable than any Chicago neighborhood outside of the Gold Coast and maybe one or two streets in Lincoln Park.

Who the hell would live in some frat boy crapbox parking garage/apartment filing cabinet in River North or Streeterville, when one could live in a 40-floor Ritz Carlton or Trump Tower in Westchester County, NY and live just 30 minutes from Midtown, the largest business district on earth?

So, you are saying that White Plains is better than any Chicago suburb? That can be a topic of discussion if you like.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:01 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,420 times
Quote:

In honesty, I should probably lighten the peddle up on my comments about White Plains, (though my comments weren't very derogatory). I'm sure it's a very nice town.

Osito-- your comments are pretty brazen and painted with pretty broad strokes. Both cities -- and here I'm referring to Chicago and NYC-- are about as good as it gets in the U.S. when it comes to urban conglomerations. This thread-- and the hundreds of their ilk-- just feed the misconceptions and sterotypes.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:28 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,563 times
Quote:
People who would rather live in a great neighborhood of a true city, rather than the burb's

Old 08-27-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
People who would rather live in a great neighborhood of a true city, rather than the burb's
Yeah, River North is a real city, that's for sure!
White Plains is, generally speaking, actually more typically urban than 95% of Chicago

River North has:

-Rock n Roll McDonalds (with giant free parking lot)

-Strip malls with banks and drug stores

-Every apartment building has a giant parking garage at the base

Downtown White Plains has none of these things. Oh, and White Plains is 30 minutes from the center of the planet. River North is 30 minutes from Cicero.

I guess that's why White Plains' Trump Tower is sold out, and Chicago's is a half-empty disaster.

Better train service too. White Plains has 22-hour rail service to Manhattan. The Brown Line shuts down much earlier, and starts up later.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:41 PM

197 posts, read 181,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
So, you are saying that White Plains is better than any Chicago suburb? That can be a topic of discussion if you like.
What is this going to change? The fact that average house in 50,000 strong White Plains is priced way above Chicago or any Chicago burb? Or that White Plains is close to New York which based on prices of housing is a much more desirable city than Chicago? That it is a seat of Westchester county which hosts such giants as Pepsico, IBM, Hitachi USA, Heineken USA? There are plenty of towns in Jersey, Connecticut and LI that beat Chicago and its suburbs not only in prices of housing but the upscale feel and services.

Why should I even waste my time talking about "urban matters" with a guy from such a rural state as America's Dairy Land a/k/a Wisconsin or other "Chicagoans" from Ohio, Iowa and Indiana?

New York as a superior city beats Chicago hands down as a business and arts center but the same can be said about its suburbs. Real cities have have other real cities as suburbs.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 PM

197 posts, read 181,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
In honesty, I should probably lighten the peddle up on my comments about White Plains, (though my comments weren't very derogatory). I'm sure it's a very nice town.

Osito-- your comments are pretty brazen and painted with pretty broad strokes. Both cities -- and here I'm referring to Chicago and NYC-- are about as good as it gets in the U.S. when it comes to urban conglomerations. This thread-- and the hundreds of their ilk-- just feed the misconceptions and sterotypes.
You've been beaten like a rented mule, cupcake. Nice job, Osito

Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Yes, I am saying this. White Plains is FAR better than any Chicago suburb.

In fact, most Westchester County cities are FAR better than most Chicago suburbs. Winnetka, Kenilworth and parts of Evanston are the only suburban areas than can compare to Westchester.

I am also saying it is hilarious that Chicagoans are trying to insult a city that is actually (in many respects) more urban and cosmopolitan than 95% of the city of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City