Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: san franscisco vs san diego vs los angeles 2013-2014 (poll)
San franscisco 47 34.81%
San diego 31 22.96%
Los angeles 57 42.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:34 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times

Advertisements

Bars (nightlife) - LA, with SF running a close 2nd
Dance clubs (nightlife) - No idea. Not my scene.
Shopping - LA
Restaurants - LA, with SF closely behind.
Friendliness - LA (except for certain snooty Westside neighborhoods)
Activities - tie between LA and San Diego
Traffic - San Diego for best, LA for worst.
Weather - San Diego
Economy - not sure
Housing - not sure what the criteria is here. Availability? Cost? Quality? Too vague.
Lowest crime rate - These days? Maybe a tie between LA (proper) and San Diego.
Cleanliness - San Diego
Overall Cost of living - LA
Overall: LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 12:17 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Bars (nightlife): SF is one of the best bar towns in the country
Dance clubs (nightlife): LA takes this by a good margin
Shopping: LA by fair margin. SF close behind.
Restaurants: SF is the easy winner, which is saying quite a lot, because LA is a top-tier food city nationwide.
Friendliness: SD, I suppose?
Activities: LA, easily.
Traffic: SD
Weather: SF for me. 8-9 months of Spring and 3-4 months of Fall.
Economy: SF by a LARGE margin
Housing: SD or LA
Lowest crime rate: I'd guess SD.
Cleanliness: SD by a good margin
Overall Cost of living: Slim nod to LA because of higher salaries than SD. SF is on a moon of unaffordability, in a galaxy far, far away.
Overall: San Franf***kingcisco. If you can afford it, it's awesome--the perfect mix of urban sophistication and California laid-back, with plenty to see and do within a couple of hours in any direction. The air is clean. The water is crystal-clear. The jobs pay well. There are loads of educated people with an entrepreneurial mindset. There are dense, lively, walkable neighborhoods within walking distance of untouched green space. There are iconic vistas all around. Nightlife is abundant and sophisticated. The food. The foodie culture. The wine culture. The bar culture. The neighborhood culture. The political culture. The outdoor lifestyle. The constant cool breeze off the ocean. It's a big baseball town, too. And I can walk from my office to the ballpark...and walk home after the game.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:35 AM

36 posts, read 59,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Bars (nightlife): SD or LA. Too many SF bars are dumpy and cash only.
Dance clubs (nightlife) - LA i guess?
Shopping - LA
Restaurants - SF
Friendliness - SD
Activities - SD
Traffic - SD
Weather -SD
Economy - SF
Housing - SF for style/architecture, SD for cost vs location.
Lowest crime rate - SD
Cleanliness - SD
Overall Cost of living - SD
Overall: SAN DIEGO

Just got back from a trip to SD and every time I go back I miss it more and more and really hate coming back to the Bay Area. Hopefully I can move back down in several years. LA's a fine city but I simply don't have any desire to live there, I want something less congested, less stressful, and more laid back than the Bay Area and LA surely is not it lol.
I'm coming from houston tx and I completely understand how painful it can be to deal with traffic.

I didn't think it would be a big deal but I hate being constantly stuck in traffic, taking a hour to a 10 minute destination, and constantly having to worry if todays the day some kid driving his parents car is going to smash into my car taking me out.

I heard l.a has even worse traffic then houston.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:44 AM

36 posts, read 59,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Bars (nightlife): SF is one of the best bar towns in the country
Dance clubs (nightlife): LA takes this by a good margin
Shopping: LA by fair margin. SF close behind.
Restaurants: SF is the easy winner, which is saying quite a lot, because LA is a top-tier food city nationwide.
Friendliness: SD, I suppose?
Activities: LA, easily.
Traffic: SD
Weather: SF for me. 8-9 months of Spring and 3-4 months of Fall.
Economy: SF by a LARGE margin
Housing: SD or LA
Lowest crime rate: I'd guess SD.
Cleanliness: SD by a good margin
Overall Cost of living: Slim nod to LA because of higher salaries than SD. SF is on a moon of unaffordability, in a galaxy far, far away.
Overall: San Franf***kingcisco. If you can afford it, it's awesome--the perfect mix of urban sophistication and California laid-back, with plenty to see and do within a couple of hours in any direction. The air is clean. The water is crystal-clear. The jobs pay well. There are loads of educated people with an entrepreneurial mindset. There are dense, lively, walkable neighborhoods within walking distance of untouched green space. There are iconic vistas all around. Nightlife is abundant and sophisticated. The food. The foodie culture. The wine culture. The bar culture. The neighborhood culture. The political culture. The outdoor lifestyle. The constant cool breeze off the ocean. It's a big baseball town, too. And I can walk from my office to the ballpark...and walk home after the game.
Honestly I want to pick san fran over san diego because the general consensus says its the better city of the two. The thing is san diego is only an 1 and 45 minutes away from l.a. San fran is 8 hrs away from l.a. Though I wouldn't live in l.a. because of the traffic it would be nice to visit frequently.

Last edited by Nissangtr; 09-23-2014 at 03:05 AM..

Old 09-23-2014, 05:56 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Bars (nightlife) LA
Dance clubs (nightlife) LA
Shopping LA
Restaurants LA
Friendliness LA/SD
Activities LA
Traffic SD
Weather LA
Economy tie
Housing LA
Lowest crime rate SD
Cleanliness SD
Overall Cost of living SD
Overall: LA
the only thing debatable on my list is restaurants between SF and LA, with LA slightly on top

Old 09-23-2014, 08:23 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Shouldn't this be in the California forum?

Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissangtr View Post
Honestly I want to pick san fran over san diego because the general consensus says its the better city of the two. The thing is san diego is only an 1 and 45 minutes away from l.a. San fran is 8 hrs away from l.a. Though I wouldn't live in l.a. because of the traffic it would be nice to visit frequently.
Proximity to LA is not a plus for San Diego. I dig LA, but I like San Diego better. San Francisco is on a separate, higher plane than either of them.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:37 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Proximity to LA is not a plus for San Diego. I dig LA, but I like San Diego better. San Francisco is on a separate, higher plane than either of them.
Keep telling yourself that as you shell out times the rent of Angelenos...

Old 09-24-2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Keep telling yourself that as you shell out times the rent of Angelenos...
I don't blame or even doubt those who disagree. But, I happily pay the SF premium over LA and find it to be a good value where these two cities are concerned. It is certainly a good value compared to Pasadena.

San Diego is a step closer to SF in desirability for me on many fronts, but lacks too much to consider it for more than just a visit.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:47 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Bars (nightlife) Irrelevant-Don't care about bars
Dance clubs (nightlife)Irrelevant- Don't care about clubs
Shopping LA
Restaurants LA
Friendliness LA
Activities LA
Traffic San Diego
Weather San Diego
Economy SF
Housing San Diego-beautiful homes on canyon view lots!
Lowest crime rate San Diego
Cleanliness San Diego
Overall Cost of living San Diego

Overall:1) San Diego 2) LA and a distant #3) San Francisco

I have lived in all 3 places and I think San Diego is the best place in California. Also I would enjoy living somewhere in LA County like La Habra Heights-close enough to LA activities but away from the crowds and insanity of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City