Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:00 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times

Advertisements

Steve-o
My opinion why I think Chicago is better than Philly. Now, remember kid, this is just my opinion.

1. Bigger, better downtown.
2. Better sports venues with less obnoxious/rude fans that Philly is notorious for.
3. The lakefront with access to beaches and sand dunes.
4. Food (I prefer our pizza and Italian joints to the cheese steaks)
5. More varied architecture.
6. More suburbs to choose from.
7. Closer proximity to the west, which I prefer over the east.
8. Airport(s) that service more international flights.
9. More Fortune 500 companies to choose from (if one were so inclined to want to work for one, as I was-- and did).

Summersm343
1. True
2. Bahahahaha.
3. True but Philly has access to real beaches. The lakefront is beautiful though and is a one up on Philly.
4. Chicago may be slightly better for food, but the Philly Roast Pork sandwich is pretty unbeatable.
5. Philly is older, so therefore is going to have a wider range of architecture. So, false.
6. What? Lol. I guess? Philly burbs are widely considered some of the best in the country. They vary in look, topography, etc. Are there many burbs that can compete with the West Chester's, New Hope's, Ardmore's, Main Line, etc of the Philly burbs?
7. I prefer the east over the West... sooo. Philly has better access to things around it. There isn't much around Chicago.
8. You judge cities by their airports? Oh.
9. You judge cities by the number of Fortune 500 companies they have? Oh.

2. Wrigley Field? Maybe Boston has a better baseball park/setting, but surely we can agree that Wrigley is in a much better location than Citizens Bank. While some might not like the redesign of Soldier Field, the views and location are pretty good.

3. What is a "real beach"? Does it have to be along a body of salt water in order for it to be considered "real"? This isn't a real beach?:

North Avenue Beach with @JenTravelsLife #chicago #travel - YouTube

These aren't beaches either?:

32 Chicago Beaches in 1 Day - YouTube

Chicago has 30+ "fake beaches" inside the city… How many does Philadelphia have?

*EDIT* Chicago also has beach chickens. Maybe someone should tell them that those aren't really beaches they're hanging around, and they need to go find some salt water.

4. Food is really subjective.

5. Chicago housing. All I ever hear about Philadelphia is how much denser it is because of row houses… and because Philadelphia has a crap ton of those row houses, it has more variety…? I'm not following.

6. Meh. Suburbs.

7. I prefer the middle coast.

8. & 9. I don't care. But I will say that one of the busiest airports in the world has 24/7 public transportation access via the Blue Line. Maybe Philadelphia does as well, I don't know.

Last edited by A2DAC1985; 09-29-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 03:32 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
4. Food (I prefer our pizza and Italian joints to the cheese steaks)
That's not even pizza.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
2. Wrigley Field? Maybe Boston has a better baseball park/setting, but surely we can agree that Wrigley is in a much better location than Citizens Bank. While some might not like the redesign of Soldier Field, the views and location are pretty good.
Not so sure about that. Citizen's Bank Park is located in one of the best sports complexes in North America. It's great to have all the teams play in the same area. A lot of cities can't say that.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...2720a24ebcd35d

Quote:
3. What is a "real beach"? Does it have to be along a body of salt water in order for it to be considered "real"? This isn't a real beach?:

North Avenue Beach with @JenTravelsLife #chicago #travel - YouTube

These aren't beaches either?:

32 Chicago Beaches in 1 Day - YouTube

Chicago has 30+ "fake beaches" inside the city… How many does Philadelphia have?

*EDIT* Chicago also has beach chickens. Maybe someone should tell them that those aren't really beaches they're hanging around, and they need to go find some salt water.
Philly just built a new boardwalk and the city doesn't need a lake when it's not that far from the bay and ocean.

Phila.'s new gem: A stroll on the Schuylkill - Philly.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bJquwNMw_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpJz1wsF6Z8

Quote:
4. Food is really subjective.
That's true but there's no denying that Philadelphia cuisine is more popular around the country than Chicago cuisine.

Quote:
8. & 9. I don't care. But I will say that one of the busiest airports in the world has 24/7 public transportation access via the Blue Line. Maybe Philadelphia does as well, I don't know.
Philly offers 24-hour service on all its subway lines and the PATCO and Trolley Green Lines run 24/7. Philly offers better 24-hour subway service than the Chicago L.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:57 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Not so sure about that. Citizen's Bank Park is located in one of the best sports complexes in North America. It's great to have all the teams play in the same area. A lot of cities can't say that.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...2720a24ebcd35d

Philly just built a new boardwalk and the city doesn't need a lake when it's not that far from the bay and ocean.

Phila.'s new gem: A stroll on the Schuylkill - Philly.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bJquwNMw_s

[url]

Philly offers 24-hour service on all its subway lines and the PATCO and Trolley Green Lines run 24/7. Philly offers better 24-hour subway service than the Chicago L.
The boardwalk is nice but it absolutely has no comparison to the Lake Michigan lakefront.

The cuisine thing is a bit of a stretch to say that it's obvious that Philly food is better known than Chicago food, because you can't substantiate that. In terms of high cuisine, Chicago is generally considered one of the top three cities in the U.S. along with NYC and SF. Chicago also has one restaurant in particular that has been voted several times the best restaurant in the world (Alinea).

And isn't the SEPTA 24/7 subway thing just a pilot program without any guarantee of future funding or sustainable ridership?

Old 09-29-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The boardwalk is nice but it absolutely has no comparison to the Lake Michigan lakefront.

The cuisine thing is a bit of a stretch to say that it's obvious that Philly food is better known than Chicago food, because you can't substantiate that. In terms of high cuisine, Chicago is generally considered one of the top three cities in the U.S. along with NYC and SF. Chicago also has one restaurant in particular that has been voted several times the best restaurant in the world (Alinea).

And isn't the SEPTA 24/7 subway thing just a pilot program without any guarantee of future funding or sustainable ridership?
That's just the orange and blue lines but it's not going anywhere. It has already been a success. No need to be jealous.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:22 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
That's just the orange and blue lines but it's not going anywhere. It has already been a success. No need to be jealous.
Umm jealous? We've had late night and 24/7 service for years and years now. In fact, a huge swath of the city is covered in 24/7 service. I'd be interested to see total mileage of 24/7 service and ridership during those late night hours for both, because I actually doubt Philly has the upper hand. And I'd be a little hesitant to prognosticate until you have long term funding secured and on the books.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Umm jealous? We've had late night and 24/7 service for years and years now. In fact, a huge swath of the city is covered in 24/7 service. I'd be interested to see total mileage of 24/7 service and ridership during those late night hours for both, because I actually doubt Philly has the upper hand. And I'd be a little hesitant to prognosticate until you have long term funding secured and on the books.
Chicago has more subway lines and track mileage so the ridership numbers would be misleading.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:58 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
This thread got active this evening. THANKS--A2DAC1985----For the Chicago beaches videos showing fake Beaches. LOL Too much to use in a quote. Why I merely give a �� and thanks.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:40 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
5. Philly is older, so therefore is going to have a wider range of architecture. So, false.
Being older does not prove you have more range of architectural styles. It means it's possible to have it - it's not a given.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
This. To elaborate more on the food discussion, Philadelphia has better Italian food than Chicago. Philadelphia's regular crust pizza is superior to Chicago's regular crust pizza. I never tried Chicago's niche deep dish pizza so I can't speak about it. Philadelphia has better street food than Chicago but Chicago has superior high end restaurants.
The Italian food is good in both cities - I've had better Italian food in Chicago than I've had in Italy itself. I haven't had it in awhile in Philadelphia but I remember the same being true.

Chicago has a lot of good ethnic food too - a lot of tourists have no idea about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City