Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:49 PM

400 posts, read 449,296 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I'm trying to find out which city would be better for me to move to. Here's the situation:

I currently live in Cleveland, Ohio. My fiancé lives in Las Vegas and will be there for another year. My company doesn't have offices in Vegas (although there is a chance I could land a position there or Phoenix).

We do, however, have offices in Denver, Seattle, and San Francisco that I could easily transfer to. The pay in that order would be 77K, 76.5 k, 85k (non negotiable). My fiancé's family lives near Stockton, CA. Mine lives in DC so it wouldn't be close to any of them.

I'm 30 year old guy and have a dog. Not looking for dating (obviously) but would like to meet and make friends as I know no one in any of those cities. A buddy of mine MIGHT move to SF but it might just be talk. I don't have kids so that's a non issue.

I love the outdoors, including sailing, hiking, bicycling, softball/baseball. I also love current events, politics and talking about them (damn my DC upbringing!), bars, intellectual conversations, restaurants, and walkable east coast like neighborhoods and history. Also dog friendly places are a plus! Politically I'm libertarian (liberal on social issues [but against more gun control] and conservative fiscally) but I don't know how much that plays into things. I love football, although all 3 cities have NFL teams.

I'm also looking for the city that would have the cheapest flights to Las Vegas and/or DC. As far as weather, I don't mind the rain, cold, or snow and love change. I'm not into skiing but still like the snow and change of seasons.

I've never been to Denver other than stopping in DIA. Been to SF 5 times and like it. I also liked Seattle when I was there but I was 12 so it's hard to say.

I know this is a HUGE criteria, but I figured if anyone could provide me with quality input, it's the people on this forum. Thank you in advance for your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 09:00 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times
Denver would be the cheapest of the there ito COL. But then you get what you pay for. ITO your criteria: SF/Seattle and then huge drop Denver. Of the three, I like Seattle the best, but YMMV.SF is a river of piety, mitigated by great food and proximity to Oakland. Seattle has a certain mellow, grey charm.Denver is Indianapolis with a lobotomy and proximity to great mountain recreation. Take your pick of 3 of the most tedious U.S. cities. I am an outlier of this.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:13 PM

I take it by "[t]ake your pick of 3 of the most tedious U.S. cities" that you aren't a fan of any of them. I'm curious about what specifically (besides what is mentioned above) are negatives about them? I understand all cities have their pluses and minuses and no place is Mecca. Have you lived in any/all of these places or just visited? No disrespect meant, I just am interested in your opinion.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:28 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,296 times
Look at ANY post he has ever made! He has NO CLUE about Denver! I think he was beat up in our great city and holds a grudge! As for these 3 cities, you cant go wrong on any of them!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:35 PM

506 posts, read 326,627 times
Personally, I think Denver would be the best choice for you.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:33 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
If you need to sail go with Seattle or San Francisco (obviously)...do you like the sun or not depends on what you do with these two. Seattle has 8+ months of **** weather (8+ months of grey skies and drizzle is awful) while San Francisco usually has a sunny year round sweatshirt climate (gets warmer as you move away from the Bay). Seattle is known for its freeze. San Francisco is stereotyped as snobby. Both cities are liberal strongholds.

If you can live without sailing, I cannot say enough good things about Denver. The climate is sunny with low humidity and 4 seasons. Being a state capital there are plenty of opportunities to talk politics. This is the most crazed sports city west of the Mississippi (sorry St. Louis I know you guys are crazy about your sports). It is Libertarian (and seems to mostly attract people with that political viewpoint). It was voted 2nd most overall Libertarian state, tied for most economic freedoms, but middle of the pack for personal freedoms. In another survey, CO is 19th for overall freedom (6th in personal freedom and 21st in financial freedom) while Washington is 29th and California is 49th. The people, for the most part, are laid back, down to earth, and friendly (although they are slightly reserved, but not to a Seattle freeze level). This state and the Denver area is extremely dog friendly. The restaurant scene is really growing (just Google it) and it destroys the other two when it comes to outdoor recreation. The amount of hiking and climbing within 60 miles of Denver is mind blowing. Bottom line...I ****ing love this place.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:22 AM

10 posts, read 20,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
Hi there!

I'm trying to find out which city would be better for me to move to. Here's the situation:

I currently live in Cleveland, Ohio. My fiancé lives in Las Vegas and will be there for another year. My company doesn't have offices in Vegas (although there is a chance I could land a position there or Phoenix).

We do, however, have offices in Denver, Seattle, and San Francisco that I could easily transfer to. The pay in that order would be 77K, 76.5 k, 85k (non negotiable). My fiancé's family lives near Stockton, CA. Mine lives in DC so it wouldn't be close to any of them.

I'm 30 year old guy and have a dog. Not looking for dating (obviously) but would like to meet and make friends as I know no one in any of those cities. A buddy of mine MIGHT move to SF but it might just be talk. I don't have kids so that's a non issue.

I love the outdoors, including sailing, hiking, bicycling, softball/baseball. I also love current events, politics and talking about them (damn my DC upbringing!), bars, intellectual conversations, restaurants, and walkable east coast like neighborhoods and history. Also dog friendly places are a plus! Politically I'm libertarian (liberal on social issues [but against more gun control] and conservative fiscally) but I don't know how much that plays into things. I love football, although all 3 cities have NFL teams.

I'm also looking for the city that would have the cheapest flights to Las Vegas and/or DC. As far as weather, I don't mind the rain, cold, or snow and love change. I'm not into skiing but still like the snow and change of seasons.

I've never been to Denver other than stopping in DIA. Been to SF 5 times and like it. I also liked Seattle when I was there but I was 12 so it's hard to say.

I know this is a HUGE criteria, but I figured if anyone could provide me with quality input, it's the people on this forum. Thank you in advance for your comments!
I hate these kind questions. Never mind the city but what you should think about is this:

1. What will your fiancée do after she has done her year in Las Vegas? Where will she find employment?

2. What is best for your career?

It is pretty clear that San Francisco tops that list of cities. If money, career or your finance is not in your mind - I would go with San Francisco, Seattle and last Denver.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:16 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,832 times
If you want to buy property and have kids soon, then denver.

If you work in technology, consulting, or finance and want to focus on your career, than SF.

In your situation I wouldn't look at seattle (even though i'm a huge fan of seattle).

Old 09-26-2014, 04:28 AM

Good input so far. Thanks! @JohnCarson : You raise some good points. Fortunately for her she can easily gain employment anywhere.

It's clear that this is a mixed bag of opinions. Especially as it relates to Denver. Seems to be extremes on either side of the issue. I'm not hearing many accolades for Seattle.

Does one of the 3 have a cheaper airport to fly to Vegas/DC? I would assume DIA/SFO because of their proximity and volume.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:51 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,296 times
I can get a 100-125 dollar 1 hour flight to Vegas any day of the week from DIA! And they go out to Vegas like 10 times a day!!!! Not sure about sf and seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City