Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:57 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,525,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Damn. Never seen so many pale white people on a beach before.
What's really funny is when you find out that the 70 year old wrinkly leather-skinned sun worshippers on the southern beaches are actually in their 40s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Lol, which is why Seattle (and Portland) won't work for the OP... not enough sun.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:14 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,593,643 times
Quote:
Well, not everybody worships skin cancer and early-onset aging.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:29 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,558 times
Another thing I forgot to add--people in San Diego are generally easier to deal with than people in Denver.

People in Denver are kinda like people from Portland--they just get annoying after a while because they think that whatever they do--whether individually or in general as a collective region--is simply far superior to what other people elsewhere do or how they do it, especially with regard to exercise, outdoor activities, healthy/organic eating, etc. This attitude of superiority gets really old, really fast, kind of like how the emphasis on being original or granola-y or weird in Portland is a little overblown, too.

By comparison, people in San Diego seem more laid back and less concerned about what other do or how they do it--just more real. I have a very difficult time relating to most people from Denver. Portland, too. Even though we both know that most people living in those cities aren't really "from" those cities.

Aside from Phoenix and San Diego, the people in most of those "up-and-coming" Western cities cities make me really happy I live in Los Angeles/Long Beach.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,022,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
I think your misleading as someone who grew up in Seattle we swam almost everyday during the summer. If you have been to Seattle don't forget there is water everywhere just not Puget sound. Are summer's are long and dry and one of those pictures was Lake Washington.
I think this is a more realistic view of beaches in Seattle. Not too many people in the water, and then only to their knees. And this is the best that Seattle has to offer. Most of the Seattle Waterfront is covered in rocks.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:58 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,022,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Well, not everybody worships skin cancer and early-onset aging.
A very good point. I think sunshine is highly over rated for human beings. Laying on a beach, burning your skin is not a healthy lifestyle.

If you just want beautiful beaches, you can't get any better then the Oregon Coast. But that's not what most people are looking for in a beach experience. They want to actually be able to go in the water. For that, you have to be in Southern California.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:09 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
A very good point. I think sunshine is highly over rated for human beings. Laying on a beach, burning your skin is not a healthy lifestyle.

If you just want beautiful beaches, you can't get any better then the Oregon Coast. But that's not what most people are looking for in a beach experience. They want to actually be able to go in the water. For that, you have to be in Southern California.
Actually, the water in SoCal is quite cold IMO. Maybe the Gulf of Florida or beaches along much of the Eastern Seaboard.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:57 PM

172 posts, read 291,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I think this is a more realistic view of beaches in Seattle. Not too many people in the water, and then only to their knees. And this is the best that Seattle has to offer. Most of the Seattle Waterfront is covered in rocks.
Looks like plenty of people in the water here, and this is a normal summer day:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UCwddSeb3d...0/P1040452.JPG

Old 10-08-2014, 11:10 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
It is hard to think of a city like Denver. Colorado Springs isn't even like Denver.

Denver isn't like Seattle, but it is trying hard to reach Seattle's yuppie/uppity vibe.
Denver doesn't have Portland's natural environment.
Denver isn't quite like Phoenix. Or Albuquerque.
Denver doesn't have the realness of Los Angeles, or the varied topography of San Diego.

I think Sacramento is most comparable to Denver. I've said that a lot. Aside from the weather, of course. I don't feel that said statement is a slight to either city.

Now, the Seattle beach thing. Swimming at Alki is one of the most godawful things you can do to yourself. 9 days out of 10, during the summer, it isn't warm enough to enjoy. The water is FREEZING COLD, the ground under the water is covered with extremely sharp rocks, the only wave you get is via passing ferries, and it feels like a completely dirty experience overall. We used to swim at Silver Lake in Everett and Lake Whatcom in Bellingham, and those experiences blow away any Puget Sound experience that involves body in water (lake water still cold, but refreshing, clean, safe, and fun {docks to jump off of}).

EDIT: Spokane is nothing like Denver either.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 PM

172 posts, read 291,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
It is hard to think of a city like Denver. Colorado Springs isn't even like Denver.

Denver isn't like Seattle, but it is trying hard to reach Seattle's yuppie/uppity vibe.
Denver doesn't have Portland's natural environment.
Denver isn't quite like Phoenix. Or Albuquerque.
Denver doesn't have the realness of Los Angeles, or the varied topography of San Diego.

I think Sacramento is most comparable to Denver. I've said that a lot. Aside from the weather, of course. I don't feel that said statement is a slight to either city.

Now, the Seattle beach thing. Swimming at Alki is one of the most godawful things you can do to yourself. 9 days out of 10, during the summer, it isn't warm enough to enjoy. The water is FREEZING COLD, the ground under the water is covered with extremely sharp rocks, the only wave you get is via passing ferries, and it feels like a completely dirty experience overall. We used to swim at Silver Lake in Everett and Lake Whatcom in Bellingham, and those experiences blow away any Puget Sound experience that involves body in water (lake water still cold, but refreshing, clean, safe, and fun {docks to jump off of}).

EDIT: Spokane is nothing like Denver either.
Swimming is for the multiple Lake Washington beaches, Alki is for the boardwalk and hanging out in your swim suit (but avoiding the water most of the time), Golden Garden is for the beauty (although it's been getting pretty hectic on weekend nights recently)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City