U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a bigger proliferation of palm trees?
Los Angeles 24 24.24%
Miami 75 75.76%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 04:18 PM

4,978 posts, read 7,273,156 times

Advertisements

Both cities have lots of palm trees, but what city has more? When considering an answer, please keep in mind the the overall city-scape and what city is there a bigger proliferation of palm trees? I'm not talking about variety of palms (miami would win), rather overall palm trees in the streets, freeways, yards, shopping plazas, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 09:31 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,157,004 times
I'm going to say Miami because they truly are everywhere, even in the middle of the highways. And they thrive in Miami. Very few can live in LA.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:41 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,738,573 times
"Very few can live in L.A."? Have you ever been to L.A.? You can't throw a rock from any point in the city without hitting a palm tree. They are everywhere in that town. Many of the streets, both small residential streets and main thoroughfares are lined with them. You even see them along some of the freeways.

Miami may have a greater variety of different species of palms, but the Washingtonia palms (that are native to the Southern CA desert) are all over the place in L.A. Some reaching heights of 100 feet. There are many Mediterranean date palms as well.

Miami wins for variety of species, but I'd say it's a tie for actual number of trees.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:49 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,872,245 times
because of LA's immense size im going to say there are more palms in LA, palms have more prominence in LA as you can see them from literally everywhere as the Ca/Mex fan palm can grow to incredible heights and thousands of LA streets are lined by palms.

on the other hand Miami has many palms just like LA and can grow palms like Coconuts much better than LA can, but other equally beautiful palm the canary island date palm doesn't do to well in Miami (for whatever reason , maybe too humid, to wet?) and in LA they can grow to be as tall as some fan palms (Mex and CA).

the palms i noticed that dominate Miami are the Royal palms. in LA its the Fan palm.

Miami has mostly royal, foxtail, coconut, and those Coachela date palms (in that order). Here in LA its Fan Palm, CIDP, Queen, King, Kentia, Coachella Date, etc.

One thing i dont get is why we dont have more Royal palms since they grow very well here and are very beautiful.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:51 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,872,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
"Very few can live in L.A."? Have you ever been to L.A.? You can't throw a rock from any point in the city without hitting a palm tree. They are everywhere in that town. Many of the streets, both small residential streets and main thoroughfares are lined with them. You even see them along some of the freeways.

Miami may have a greater variety of different species of palms, but the Washingtonia palms (that are native to the Southern CA desert) are all over the place in L.A. Some reaching heights of 100 feet. There are many Mediterranean date palms as well.

Miami wins for variety of species, but I'd say it's a tie for actual number of trees.
even in the variety, Miami isnt a blowout clear winner, MIA doesnt seem to plant CIDP, mediterranean date palm, windmill palm, that style of palms. with the exception of the coconut and a couple others all palms you see in Mia can grow in LA.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:02 PM

1,486 posts, read 231,361 times
Miami wins by slightly. LA has some small areas where there are not just palm trees, whereas in Miami they are almost everywhere.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:41 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,731,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I'm going to say Miami because they truly are everywhere, even in the middle of the highways. And they thrive in Miami. Very few can live in LA.
Palms grow like weeds in Miami. There's a sidewalk around the corner from me where a group of palm trees started out like small weeds. Now they are mature and are cared for by the city as if they were planted.
Palms grow in Los Angeles but not like they do in Miami.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:53 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,694,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
even in the variety, Miami isnt a blowout clear winner, MIA doesnt seem to plant CIDP, mediterranean date palm, windmill palm, that style of palms. with the exception of the coconut and a couple others all palms you see in Mia can grow in LA.
I'd say it's probably a tie. Miami doesen't grow alot of the Western Desrt-type palms as well as LA, and LA doesen't grow the Tropical palms as well as Miami. But both cities have palms that aren't native to their cities, but do grow well in these cities when people try to grow them(such as the Date Palm in Miami, and the Royal Palm in LA). Date Palms in particular grow well in Miami.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:37 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,131,599 times
I don't think LA grows palm trees naturally. Miami actually has several species, like the Royal Palm, that are native to South Florida and the Carribean.

I vote Miami.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:41 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,037,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
because of LA's immense size im going to say there are more palms in LA, palms have more prominence in LA as you can see them from literally everywhere as the Ca/Mex fan palm can grow to incredible heights and thousands of LA streets are lined by palms.

on the other hand Miami has many palms just like LA and can grow palms like Coconuts much better than LA can, but other equally beautiful palm the canary island date palm doesn't do to well in Miami (for whatever reason , maybe too humid, to wet?) and in LA they can grow to be as tall as some fan palms (Mex and CA).

the palms i noticed that dominate Miami are the Royal palms. in LA its the Fan palm.

Miami has mostly royal, foxtail, coconut, and those Coachela date palms (in that order). Here in LA its Fan Palm, CIDP, Queen, King, Kentia, Coachella Date, etc.

One thing i dont get is why we dont have more Royal palms since they grow very well here and are very beautiful.
Royal palms remind me of Boca. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or