Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:24 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Everyone did not choose California, so obviously it's a valid question.

SoCal looks fantastic, but I have no desire to live there. I prefer the tropical location of Miami as well as its smaller size. I love the thunderstorms, the nightlife, and I also find the people to be more attractive.
I see your point, but I think you should reserve judgment (especially on the attractiveness of the people) until you visit Los Angeles and the rest of SoCal. It sounds, from the way you worded it, like you have never been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Yuck. Neither. Try San Diego.
San Diego is nice but in comparison to LA and even Miami, very boring.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:38 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,641,878 times
Hollywood Hills for sure. I like the weather and scenery/views better, and it's hard to say this, but I like the people better, too. This is for "living", though, as opposed to "vacationing". My answer would be different in that case.

Also, let's clarify that "Miami" the city is mostly poor/rundown/dare I say a bit unsafe?. Miami Beach, Fisher Island/Venetian Islands/Star Island, Coral Gables and Coconut Grove, etc etc are all separate from Miami the city. The nice parts of Miami are essentially relatively bland high-rise condos in an otherwise boring CBD type area. Stark contrast from Hollywood Hills.

There are TONs more cultural options and philanthropic outlets for rich people in LA than for rich people in Miami. Miami is a cultural desert (even when comparing Miami to the opposite end of the FL spectrum, Jacksonville, I'd say pound for pound there is FAR MORE in Jacksonville than in Miami). To me, that's a little pathetic.

For having a vacation home? I would choose Miami area, not LA/Hollywood Hills. In fact I would choose neither - it'd be between Santa Barbara, Malibu, Vero Beach, Sarasota, or Naples.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:58 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I see your point, but I think you should reserve judgment (especially on the attractiveness of the people) until you visit Los Angeles and the rest of SoCal. It sounds, from the way you worded it, like you have never been there.
Perhaps, but in this case, one would only have to look at the demographics to decide which region would have the more attractive locals in their opinion. I have a strong preference for people of Afro and Latin descent, so it's a given that I would prefer Miami. I'm aware that you can find these types in Southern California, but given its massive size and incredible diversity, they wouldn't be as visible.

As for everything else, I know that a Mediterranean climate year round is not for me.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:00 PM

Anonelitist, I think you're selling Miami short here. I believe Ocean Drive has one of the biggest collections of Art Deco architecture in the World. Art Basel is one of the world's biggest and most important art festivals, there are tons of concerts and festivals held in Miami, and the cuisine just reflects the area's diversity and melting pot of 'Floribbean' culture--Latin American, Caribbean, and Southern peoples/cultures all coming together. I agree that LA offers more culturally, but Miami isn't a slouch.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:36 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Hollywood Hills for sure. I like the weather and scenery/views better, and it's hard to say this, but I like the people better, too. This is for "living", though, as opposed to "vacationing". My answer would be different in that case.

Also, let's clarify that "Miami" the city is mostly poor/rundown/dare I say a bit unsafe?. Miami Beach, Fisher Island/Venetian Islands/Star Island, Coral Gables and Coconut Grove, etc etc are all separate from Miami the city. The nice parts of Miami are essentially relatively bland high-rise condos in an otherwise boring CBD type area. Stark contrast from Hollywood Hills.

There are TONs more cultural options and philanthropic outlets for rich people in LA than for rich people in Miami. Miami is a cultural desert (even when comparing Miami to the opposite end of the FL spectrum, Jacksonville, I'd say pound for pound there is FAR MORE in Jacksonville than in Miami). To me, that's a little pathetic.

For having a vacation home? I would choose Miami area, not LA/Hollywood Hills. In fact I would choose neither - it'd be between Santa Barbara, Malibu, Vero Beach, Sarasota, or Naples.
You do realize Coconut Grove is actually IN Miamis' city limits.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 PM

^^^Well there's one then. I always thought it was either part of Coral Gables or unincorporated. Shows what I know. Point being, "Hollywood Hills" and "Miami" are totally not apples to apples. Hollywood Hills to Miami Beach would be more applicable.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Anonelitist, I think you're selling Miami short here. I believe Ocean Drive has one of the biggest collections of Art Deco architecture in the World. Art Basel is one of the world's biggest and most important art festivals, there are tons of concerts and festivals held in Miami, and the cuisine just reflects the area's diversity and melting pot of 'Floribbean' culture--Latin American, Caribbean, and Southern peoples/cultures all coming together. I agree that LA offers more culturally, but Miami isn't a slouch.

^^^I agree with all of that, but that's Miami Beach, not Miami. People who haven't been to Miami or lived in SoFla are confusing Miami with uber wealth and something equivalent to "Hollywood Hills", when the reality is that both Miami and Miami Beach are full on cities, with mostly middle class or less areas (well at least in Miami's case, even Miami Beach's).

Hollywood Hills are a funkier, less pretentious/less "Beverly Hills" version of Beverly Hills. It's a purely residential area.

Miami is a major city. Why the two are somehow confused as being equivalent is beyond me. So then one conflates being rich in the Miami "area" with being rich in Hollywood Hills, but having all that LA has to offer. Hollywood Hills is literally a relatively sparsely populated, affluent neighborhood in the hills. Purely residential.

These questions just become ridiculous. I do think, however, that Florida in general, including South FL, is a slouch when it comes to culture. Art Basel is held in Miami Beach for reasons other than Miami is a major art/culture hub. Art Basel is now also in Hong Kong, but do you think it's because Hong Kong is a major world mecca for art? It's a place where global elite like to gather, and can purchase art and have fun and enjoyment. Very similar to Miami.

I grew up in FL - believe me when I tell you that if you want your mind stimulated, FL is not the place to be, and that certainly in a major way includes Miami/South FL. It's a place for the rich, and for tourists. So to that end, it definitely does "2nd home" well, likely A LOT better than LA (not to mention you get more bang for your buck). But for permanent living, it takes a special kind of person.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:00 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Miami Beach city Ballet is tops in the nation. Miami being home to the most diverse populace of Latin Americans in the nation, gives Miami access to hundreds of museums, art galleries, and other cultural institutions that are focused on the country of origin for many of Miami residents. Culture is too broad of a term to deem the whole sprawling metro of South Florida a "cultural wasteland". Did you and poster 8to32characters mean Miamis' lack of High Culture? As for art Basel, it's location in Miami isn't some sort of circus type event in which when all the artists leave, so does the art. There are still neighborhoods in the geographic heart of Miami that cater to Miamis growing and acclaimed art scene. Peoples stereotypical view on the average Floridian, and this view of Florida as some sprawled out cul-de-sac filled tacky Disney-state, has clouded peoples judgement on what Florida has to offer culturally. There's great cultural amenities in the Tampa Bay area also. One of the largest Salvador Dali art museums on the planet is located on the shores of Tampa Bay in St.Pete. It's a pretty cool area.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:27 PM

^^^Miami doesn't even have a major art museum. I'd contend that in addition to St. Pete's Dali museum (which is a collection of just one important artist), Sarasota's Ringling Museum, Palm Beach's Norton, and Jacksonville's Cummer are all more important than the Perez in Miami, which is such a new new museum without deep roots (not that anything in FL is that important with deep roots). The Bass in Miami Beach, probably > PAMM as well. MOCA Jax > MOCA Miami.

All in all, none of this, added together, offerings throughout the entire state of FL, compare to what is in LA. Not even close. And that's just art.

There's a lot of gallery space in Miami in general and sub-areas such as the Design District with super upscale galleries, couture boutiques, and design shops (such as Porsche Design or Armani Casa and Ligne Roset), but all of this caters to Latin American/European/Northeastern wealth, brought to Miami through visitation or second homes. None of it has anything to do with a particularly artsy/cultured permanent resident base. And Floridian artists take up shop elsewhere (the Keys, Saint Augustine, Sarasota - which is more "artsy" than SE FL, the Panhandle - which is not surprising given its natural beauty and quiet/serene landscape and low cost of living). They can sell to wealthy clients in Miami, sure, but they don't really produce in Miami.

Miami is *not* some art/culture hub (neither is anywhere in FL, really). It's just now getting a basic sizable science museum (Frost Museum) thanks to a few donors (the Frosts, who donated $35M for it, one of the largest if not the largest cultural contribution by a philanthropist in South FL's history).

In terms of ballet, I'll give you that. In league I suppose with NYCB or ABT or SFB or Pacific Northwest or Joffrey in Chicago. But those cities also offer truly world class (along with LA and Boston/DC/Philly) options for anything art related. Miami does not; it's very limited (Ballet and Basel I suppose ).

Not trying to totally dish on Miami, but if you're rich, highly educated and motivated, and looking for more full-time cultural options or philanthropic outlets with deep-seeded roots to keep you stimulated/occupied and tied to the community, LA >>>>>>>>>> Miami, thus Hollywood Hills >>>>>>>>>>> anywhere around Miami.

If you want more of an "island" life, and don't necessarily need to be "bothered" by so many things around you and can be entertained by visiting events such as Basel, then sure, Miami is perfect. I think it's also better for a 2nd home than LA is. I think there are parts of FL even better for 2nd homes than the Miami area, as there are equivalents in CA, none in the major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City