Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:24 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post

The nice parts of Miami are essentially relatively bland high-rise condos in an otherwise boring CBD type area. Stark contrast from Hollywood Hills.

There are TONs more cultural options and philanthropic outlets for rich people in LA than for rich people in Miami. Miami is a cultural desert (even when comparing Miami to the opposite end of the FL spectrum, Jacksonville, I'd say pound for pound there is FAR MORE in Jacksonville than in Miami). To me, that's a little pathetic.
Yea, umm sorry to break it to you but you know absolutely nothing about Miami. 1995 Miami wants its comments back...

Anyway. I prefer the East Coast and low taxes. Any large city like Miami, D.C. NYC, LA, San Fran, Chicago etc.. is a nice place to live if you are very wealthy. So why Miami over LA personally:

I prefer Tropical/Beaches over mountains.
I prefer East Coast over West Coast
I prefer Caribbean islands and Bahamas over Mexico and the Western U.S.
I prefer water front homes over mountain side
And Heat court side tickets over Lakers tickets of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 08:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
^^^Miami doesn't even have a major art museum. I'd contend that in addition to St. Pete's Dali museum (which is a collection of just one important artist), Sarasota's Ringling Museum, Palm Beach's Norton, and Jacksonville's Cummer are all more important than the Perez in Miami, which is such a new new museum without deep roots (not that anything in FL is that important with deep roots). The Bass in Miami Beach, probably > PAMM as well. MOCA Jax > MOCA Miami.

All in all, none of this, added together, offerings throughout the entire state of FL, compare to what is in LA. Not even close. And that's just art.

There's a lot of gallery space in Miami in general and sub-areas such as the Design District with super upscale galleries, couture boutiques, and design shops (such as Porsche Design or Armani Casa and Ligne Roset), but all of this caters to Latin American/European/Northeastern wealth, brought to Miami through visitation or second homes. None of it has anything to do with a particularly artsy/cultured permanent resident base. And Floridian artists take up shop elsewhere (the Keys, Saint Augustine, Sarasota - which is more "artsy" than SE FL, the Panhandle - which is not surprising given its natural beauty and quiet/serene landscape and low cost of living). They can sell to wealthy clients in Miami, sure, but they don't really produce in Miami.

Miami is *not* some art/culture hub (neither is anywhere in FL, really). It's just now getting a basic sizable science museum (Frost Museum) thanks to a few donors (the Frosts, who donated $35M for it, one of the largest if not the largest cultural contribution by a philanthropist in South FL's history).

In terms of ballet, I'll give you that. In league I suppose with NYCB or ABT or SFB or Pacific Northwest or Joffrey in Chicago. But those cities also offer truly world class (along with LA and Boston/DC/Philly) options for anything art related. Miami does not; it's very limited (Ballet and Basel I suppose ).

Not trying to totally dish on Miami, but if you're rich, highly educated and motivated, and looking for more full-time cultural options or philanthropic outlets with deep-seeded roots to keep you stimulated/occupied and tied to the community, LA >>>>>>>>>> Miami, thus Hollywood Hills >>>>>>>>>>> anywhere around Miami.

If you want more of an "island" life, and don't necessarily need to be "bothered" by so many things around you and can be entertained by visiting events such as Basel, then sure, Miami is perfect. I think it's also better for a 2nd home than LA is. I think there are parts of FL even better for 2nd homes than the Miami area, as there are equivalents in CA, none in the major cities.
Does Miami lose points because the galleries in the city cater to "only" wealthy Northerners, Latin Americans and Europeans? I'm not understanding what you mean. But even then, isn't this thread about the options either town has for the wealthy? Do you mean the "type" of art they make only caters to that clientele? Either way, to say Florida has very little roots, isn't that accurate. There's are many Black American historic districts like Overtown, that are gentrifying and are steeped in Southern culture. And if you want a neighborhood which caters to the local art scene, look no further than Wynwood. High culture and high institutions, Miami may lack in. But even then, like you mentioned there is The Norton in West Palm Beach, which is in the greater SoFla area. But there's more than enough organic localized culture. All in All, yes Miami does lack the institutions that are offered in LA.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Yea, umm sorry to break it to you but you know absolutely nothing about Miami. 1995 Miami wants its comments back...

Anyway. I prefer the East Coast and low taxes. Any large city like Miami, D.C. NYC, LA, San Fran, Chicago etc.. is a nice place to live if you are very wealthy. So why Miami over LA personally:

I prefer our variety of beaches (cliffs, hills dropping into ocean, long beaches, golden sand beaches, some light blue crystal clear waters, etc) and scenery to MIA beaches (same thing, one long strip of beach, we have two long strips separated by many hills, cliffs and dynamic topography at the foot of the ocean.

West > East

Hawaii, Mexico, Western US > Caribbean and bahamas

IMO our waterfront homes are nicer, Venice, Belmont shores, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach. Ww have all types of homes Miami has but we also have hillside/waterfront homes, cliffside homes, etc.

as for Heat vs Lakers, Heat tickets for being less expensive, but 16>3. Going to watch the best basketball franchise ever to play the game is like no other experience in the world of basketball.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
I prefer our variety of beaches (cliffs, hills dropping into ocean, long beaches, golden sand beaches, some light blue crystal clear waters, etc) and scenery to MIA beaches (same thing, one long strip of beach, we have two long strips separated by many hills, cliffs and dynamic topography at the foot of the ocean.

West > East

Hawaii, Mexico, Western US > Caribbean and bahamas

IMO our waterfront homes are nicer, Venice, Belmont shores, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach. Ww have all types of homes Miami has but we also have hillside/waterfront homes, cliffside homes, etc.

as for Heat vs Lakers, Heat tickets for being less expensive, but 16>3. Going to watch the best basketball franchise ever to play the game is like no other experience in the world of basketball.
The Lakers had a 50yr head start.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:44 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:

You're acting like LA doesn't have any beaches or beachfront homes...it does! And on top of that, mountains as well. Miami has great beaches, but LA's are equally stunning IMO because of the coastal scenery/cliffs you get right on the beach, and the surf. Miami's water is more beautiful, but so calm, and the coastline is overdeveloped. Also, Hawaii and Mexico is easily accessible from LA, so it's not like there are no exotic escapes nearby from there.
That said, I agree with your choice and GO HEAT!!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:51 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:

Except other than the amount of transplant New Yorkers that have moved to the MIA area, Miami itself is nothing like any of the cities on the east coast.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:26 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfromhouston View Post
I Googled this question and this thread was done on this very forum in 2012; poorly. It devolved into 12 pages of discussing the nuances of hurricanes vs earthquakes.

My question: if you were young and wealthy (15-25 million net worth), and you had to choose between these locations, which would you choose and why?

My only request is that you do not discuss hurricanes or earthquakes. Mentally healthy people will not take these things into consideration when choosing between these two cities; the myriad of other ways to die or have your life disrupted are so vast in comparison that it is a non-issue.

You're right. Intelligent people take those things into consideration because they know they pose a huge liability and danger to their homes and families. With the exception of Mark Zuckerberg and a few other silicon valley executives, most of the young and wealthy aren't very intelligent. But to answer your question, I would have invested in Miami Beach easily due to the fact that Miami is an upcoming alpha world city, the tax legislation is incredible, and poses the greatest economic future and least liability.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:55 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You're right. Intelligent people take those things into consideration because they know they pose a huge liability and danger to their homes and families. With the exception of Mark Zuckerberg and a few other silicon valley executives, most of the young and wealthy aren't very intelligent. But to answer your question, I would have invested in Miami Beach easily due to the fact that Miami is an upcoming alpha world city, the tax legislation is incredible, and poses the greatest economic future and least liability.
Uh...hurricanes?

Old 10-08-2014, 07:06 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Miami already IS an alpha world city!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:13 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
Lived out in LA and recently visited Miami. Loved the water of Miami the Florida keys and that entire Caribbean type setting.

I really enjoy though the laid backness of the west coast making me choose it over Miami. Too bad LA doesn't have the clear, warm water. Although the waves are a pretty good substitute. Plus, Miami drivers were crazy and drove me nuts lol. Couldn't live there but did have a great time. Could live in the Hollywood hills though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City