Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most dangerous from crime?
New York 5 2.75%
Los Angeles 4 2.20%
Chicago 68 37.36%
Washington DC 29 15.93%
San Francisco 4 2.20%
Boston 2 1.10%
Philadelphia 38 20.88%
Dallas 3 1.65%
Miami 22 12.09%
Houston 7 3.85%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:06 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,600,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Let's take it a step further. The main city and all it's suburbs around. The whole entire MSA area.

FBI — Table 6

2012 Homicide Rates
Philadelphia - 517 murders - 6,012,363 pop. 8.6 per 100,000 homicide rate
Chicago - 679 murders - 9,511,421 pop. - 7.1 per 100,000 homicide rate
San Francisco - 288 murders - 4,431,755 pop. - 6.5 per 100,000 homicide rate
Miami - 364 murders - 5,747,489 pop. - 6.3 per 100,000 homicide rate
Houston - 349 murders - 6,150,496 pop. 5.7 per 100,000 homicide rate
Los Angeles - 651 murders - 13,064,838 pop. - 5.0 per 100,000 homicide rate
Dallas - 277 murders - 6,680,025 pop. - 4.1 per 100,000 homicide rate
New York - 749 murders - 19,791,750 pop. - 3.8 per 100,000 homicide rate
Washington DC - 210 murders - 5,826,080 pop. - 3.6 per 100,000 homicide rate
Boston - 95 murders - 4,629,025 pop. - 2.1 per 100,000 homicide rate
And that's fine, but these are 2012 numbers. I'd be interested in seeing 2013. Philly unfortunately has a few very dangerous small cities by it, like Camden and Chester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 03:30 PM

465 posts, read 654,839 times
I can never understand why people argue about whether or not DC is safe or not. Yes is it safer than the 80's and 90's of course it is, most cities are. But all you have to do is pick up the Washington Post and Stevie Wonder can see that it's not one of the safer cities in America. I'm a DC backer 150% but I'm not going to flat out lie just for the sake of making it sound like the city is safer than it really is. To be honest with you the Gentrification in DC is basically block to block. Most of the growth in the city is happening in Wards 1, 2 and 6, which basically border downtown DC. Many parts of SE and far NE (which geographically make up about 1/3 of the city) are still basically the same wastelands that they were in the 90's. Many of the Gentrified areas of the city are experiencing many of the high profile crimes, especially when you're talking about assaults and robberies. The Chief of Police has also been accused of reclassifying many serious crimes into lesser crimes to make the crime stats look better. As far as not appearing on the most dangerous cities list, I beg to differ. DC is definitely still on the most dangerous cities list, especially when it's compared to cities of similar size. It's in Black and White for God sake. We have this fight on the DC forum all of the time and it's becoming redundant. I think the real question is whether or not DC appears on the most safest cities list. The answer is hell no!!!!

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2013 | Infoplease.com

» MPD Hiding Most Crimes From Public Titan Of Trinidad

Dem Congresswoman: D.C. Is 'Safest City In The United States'

D.C. 2012 Murder Rate Ranked 8th Among Nation's Most Populated Cities | Homicide Watch D.C. | Mark every death. Remember every victim. Follow every case.

Shooting in Southeast Friday brings total gunshot victims to 28 in two weeks - The Washington Post

Eight Catholic U students robbed at gunpoint - The Washington Post

Burglars hit four homes in Washington area that police said was seeing uptick in crime - The Washington Post

D.C.'s downtown drives city's population growth | WashingtonExaminer.com

Are there any D.C. neighborhoods that aren't being gentrified?: Are there any D.C. neighborhoods that aren't being gentrified? - Washington City Paper

Last edited by dcallday; 10-15-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 03:45 PM

13,674 posts, read 15,574,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
We're not talking about DC 100 years from now. We're talking about DC in the PRESENT. Why do you always talk about some hypothetical future DC 30 to 50 to 100 years from now? Can you not see the DC of today? The DC of today is the first or second most dangerous city on that list by ACTUAL facts.

Again, we're not talking about DC if it had it's original boundaries. Funny that you talk about adding wealthy areas to DC to lower the crime rate, but take away wealthy areas from Philly to raise the crime rate. So typical of you haha. How about if you're going to add these areas to DC, we get to add wealthy areas to Philly.

Why can't you DC posters see the facts? Stop talking in hypotheticals when the facts are right there.

Do you know what per capita is? It's only bad based on how many good area's in a region are included in a city boundary. This really isn't hard to understand. This is the same argument people make when talking about L.A. having a higher density than Washington D.C. even though it doesn't based on city area. It is actually way denser though on a weighted scale. Is this concept really hard to understand?

If D.C. was 300 sq. mile's including all it's close in suburbs, what would the crime stats be? Washington D.C. is considered bad because it's 61 sq. mile's. Add in people from Arlington, VA and Bethesda, MD to see what I mean. I guess the point I'm making is people try to be very selective on what they want to use when trying to prove a point. They don't want to use boundaries when talking about density etc., yet, they want to use them when talking about crime.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I'm visiting DC now for the first time. The main tourist areas I've been to along the national mall and along the subway line out to College Park have felt very safe to me. I've only seen one person that in any way looked homeless. I think DC has very rough areas in the eastern part of the city away from the destinations though.

Trust me those areas that you're talking about are not as far away as you might think. DC has tough hoods in every Quadrant so I wouldn't get too comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eXp5Tc4IZk

Old 10-15-2014, 04:13 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,550,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Chicago
*Murders: 319
*Population: 2,718,782
Rate per 100,000: 11.73

Washington
*Murders: 86
*Population: 646,449
Rate per 100,000: 13.3
District Crime Data at a Glance | mpdc

Philadelphia
*Murders: 202
*Population: 1,553,165
Rate per 100,000: 13.01
Crime Maps & Stats | Philadelphia Police Department

Miami's stats aren't as readily available as the other three cities, but, as you can clearly see, you are more likely to get murdered in Washington and Philadelphia this year than you are Chicago.

DC's low murder rate in 2012 seems to be a fluke at this point, especially since the rate spiked in 2013, and it is going even higher this year.
Thanks, I'm not sure why this is still being discussed. The stats are easily available.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
San Francisco, as a whole, has been getting nearer to complete gentrification than any other cities on this list. Most of SF's worst crime in concentrated in a handful of high crime city neighborhoods. Unfortunately, the tiny black population in SF tends to be extremely poor and living in the projects in the outskirts of the city as the middle class black population was largely priced out of the city or fled for greener pastures in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The tiny poor black population in the projects, whom happens to account for a large disproportionate amount of the city's violent crime, is being forced out of SF at an alarming rate do to gentrification with projects being torn down left and right. The black population in SF is set to drop even lower than it's current small 5% of the city's population in the next five years.

DC also is getting safer everyday. For a city with such a large black underclass,

DC's crime rate is exceptionally low.

Not true....

http://www.infoplease.com/us/cities/...us-cities.html

Gentrification has touched almost every corner of the District.

That's definitely not true....

Are there any D.C. neighborhoods that aren't being gentrified?: Are there any D.C. neighborhoods that aren't being gentrified? - Washington City Paper

Last edited by dcallday; 10-15-2014 at 04:26 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 04:26 PM

587 posts, read 1,403,745 times
But for a city with DC's given demographics to have its current level of violent crime is phenomenal. Just a few years ago, San Francisco had about 100 murders a year, every year. That might not seem like much at all for a city of 800K+. But if you take into account that 60%+ of SF homicides are consistently black-on-black killings almost every year, it puts things in perspective seeing as SF's black population is well below 100K compared to over 300K blacks in DC.

S.F. more deadly than Oakland for blacks? - SFGate

But SF fixed that problem by tearing down many of the worst project developments in the southern fringes of the city and instating strict gang injunctions in troubled inner city areas with turf/gang associated violence in the past five or so years. Things have also definitely simmered down in DC, as a whole, compared to 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
But for a city with DC's given demographics to have its current level of violent crime is phenomenal. Just a few years ago, San Francisco had about 100 murders a year. That might not seem like much at all for a city of 800K+. But if you take into account that 60%+ of SF homicides are consistently black-on-black killings every year, it puts things in perspective seeing as SF black population is well below 100K compared to over 300K blacks in DC.

Bruh, most killing in most major cities are black-on- black killings. San Francisco is not special in that regard. Hell.. I was just in San Fran in June for work and I barely saw any Black people to kill there. LMAO The street scene in DC and SF are not even comparable. DC's streets have way more grit than SF.

Things have also definitely simmered down in DC, as a whole, compared to 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago.

Most major cities aren't what they were 10, 15 ,20 years ago. Let's talk about from 2010 - 2014, the numbers speak for themselves. You do realize that violent crime is about more than just murders right?
Take a look at DC's overall crime numbers and compare them to San Francisco's. It's not even close my friend.

D.C.'s 'edge' neighborhoods seeing violent crime spike | WashingtonExaminer.com

DC v. Chicago: It takes more than a declining murder rate to unite a city | Washington Times Communities

What a crane will never lift - The Washington Post

You should probably read this article. DC is not nearly a safe as you think it is.

MPD Hiding Most Crimes From Public Titan Of Trinidad

Old 10-15-2014, 04:51 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
All these places could do better and sadly most still have areas far to rampant with crime.

Lets hope they are get considerably better

Old 10-15-2014, 05:40 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,196,059 times
I'm surprised all of you are missing one HUGE fact about DC's homicide rate last year. It did spike but that was largely in part to the Navy Yard shooting. Twelve people died that day in DC and it was added to the homicide rate. That was an act of terrorism and had nothing to do with the normal crime.

Crime this year definitely has spiked a bit but for some of you to say its not much better than the 90s is insane. How is 100 homicides vs 500 not much better? NE and SE are nowhere near as bad. I work at a fire house east of the river and can tell you first hand that shootings, stabbings, fires, etc are all WAY down. It's definitely still very rough but nothing like it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City