Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:20 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,396,563 times

Advertisements

Would you rather live in a city with a large Black population, like NY or LA, or a smaller city where a large percentage of the population is Black? How does the later influence your experiences in a city that would otherwise go largely unrecognized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 09:29 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,503,017 times
A smaller metro area if the job opportunities are plentiful.
If not then a large city is the better choice. You wouldn't
starve. lol.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:33 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,617,413 times
Most Midwest cities have a small Hispanic and Asian population, making the population of blacks generally higher.
I grew up in Milwaukee and liked it. It was kind of unique though in how segregated the city is, but still, it was a nice place to grow up.
I feel like there are still a lot of racial issues in Milwaukee but that is slowly getting better.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Most Midwest cities have a small Hispanic and Asian population, making the population of blacks generally higher.
I grew up in Milwaukee and liked it. It was kind of unique though in how segregated the city is, but still, it was a nice place to grow up.
I feel like there are still a lot of racial issues in Milwaukee but that is slowly getting better.
Cities face unique challenges as segregation becomes a thing of the past when the culture, that was once readily defined because of the ethnic makeup of a neighborhood, shifts as individuals of various ethnicity move into a neighborhood. The Black side of town becomes a thing of the past, an old 20th century relic.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
A smaller metro area if the job opportunities are plentiful.
If not then a large city is the better choice. You wouldn't
starve. lol.
I agree. Smaller cities are okay as long as the job opportunities are there. I think that in the case of a city like Detroit the fact that it is still a large city keeps a lot of people there, even though the job opportunities are all but non-existent for most. That was the rare example of a large city with a predominately Black population that existed in the Midwest.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:19 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,617,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Cities face unique challenges as segregation becomes a thing of the past when the culture, that was once readily defined because of the ethnic makeup of a neighborhood, shifts as individuals of various ethnicity move into a neighborhood. The Black side of town becomes a thing of the past, an old 20th century relic.
Its a good thing for Milwaukee. I live in Vegas where it is very ethnically balanced throughout neighborhoods. It feel more like a community instead of... Borderlands? lol.
The best part about growing up in a really segregated city was for finding great authentic restaurants hah

Old 10-19-2014, 11:45 AM

92,144 posts, read 122,387,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I agree. Smaller cities are okay as long as the job opportunities are there. I think that in the case of a city like Detroit the fact that it is still a large city keeps a lot of people there, even though the job opportunities are all but non-existent for most. That was the rare example of a large city with a predominately Black population that existed in the Midwest.
Large cities with a predominately Black percentage is actually rare in general, in the US, if you think about it. I can only think of 6 other cities that would fit(Atlanta, DC, Baltimore, New Orleans, Memphis and St. Louis). This will depend on what you consider to be large as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-19-2014 at 12:14 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Large cities with a predominately Black percentage is actually rare in general, in the US, if you think about it. I can only think of 6 other cities that would fit(Atlanta, DC, Baltimore, New Orleans, Memphis and St. Louis). This will depend on what you consider to be large as well.
Because there are so many cities that fit that definition I am more referring to cities with a core population of greater than one million within the city limits. Though technically all the cities you've mentioned are large metropolitan areas by anyone's definition.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:05 PM

542 posts, read 1,676,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You forgot about Detroit, Birmingham, Miami Gardens, Cleveland, Newark, Richmond, Cincinnati, Philadelphia

Old 10-19-2014, 12:18 PM

92,144 posts, read 122,387,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
You forgot about Detroit, Birmingham, Miami Gardens, Cleveland, Newark, Richmond, Cincinnati, Philadelphia
Detroit was already discussed and out of the ones you mentioned, Birmingham, Newark, Richmond and Miami Gardens are predominately Black. Miami Gardens is essentially a new suburban city that is a consolidation of multiple communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.