Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Move from atlanta to :
Oakland ca 12 21.43%
chicago 25 44.64%
seattle 19 33.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 06:04 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You sure 'bout that?

Seattle is getting whiter, census finds | FYI Guy | Seattle Times

There's nothing wrong with this btw, its a demographic trend, but it might contradict your statement a little.
Not really lol it's just socially acceptable to date different race's . My ex was African-American I've dated since Korean and Latino. But really I don't look at race I look at the individual . As a whole metro seattle area is a melting pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 07:07 AM

603 posts, read 931,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Seattle is currently the best city in American, no wonder why it's also the fastest growing.
But it's not the fastest growing city, no matter how many times this is repeated on city-data.

Using the top 25 largest for comparison we find that since 2013:

The cities of Austin (12.02%), Charlotte (8.4%), Denver (8.22%), and Washington DC (7.43%) are each growing faster than Seattle (7.19%). In terms of absolute numbers, there are even more cities.
List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Seattle MSA growth rate of 4.95% since 2010 trails Dallas-Ft Worth (5.99%), Houston (6.63%), Denver (6.05%), Charlotte (5.34%), and San Antonio (6.3%). Again, if you look at absolute numbers, many more would be added to the list.
List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Seattle CSA growth rate of 4.33% since 2010 trails Dallas-Ft Worth (5.7%), Houston (6.44%), Miami (4.55%), Denver (6.03%), Orlando (5.59%), Charlotte (4.94%), Salt Lake City (5.17%), and barely squeaks by Washington DC- Baltimore (4.32%) by the narrowest of margins.
List of Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can we please end the myth that Seattle is the fastest growing city? It's not.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:37 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Not really lol it's just socially acceptable to date different race's . My ex was African-American I've dated since Korean and Latino. But really I don't look at race I look at the individual . As a whole metro seattle area is a melting pot.
Yeah, but while no is questioning your personal experience, the city's demographics paint a different picture.

Also, in the SF forum the OP has stated he's picked Chicago, which is fine.

Although at this rate, I see a talent shortage on the horizon for the Bay Area if we get more developments such as this:
Google expanding to accomodate 30,000 new hires in the Bay Area

Old 11-11-2014, 10:16 AM

456 posts, read 774,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
But it's not the fastest growing city, no matter how many times this is repeated on city-data.

Using the top 25 largest for comparison we find that since 2013:

The cities of Austin (12.02%), Charlotte (8.4%), Denver (8.22%), and Washington DC (7.43%) are each growing faster than Seattle (7.19%). In terms of absolute numbers, there are even more cities.
List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Seattle MSA growth rate of 4.95% since 2010 trails Dallas-Ft Worth (5.99%), Houston (6.63%), Denver (6.05%), Charlotte (5.34%), and San Antonio (6.3%). Again, if you look at absolute numbers, many more would be added to the list.
List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Seattle CSA growth rate of 4.33% since 2010 trails Dallas-Ft Worth (5.7%), Houston (6.44%), Miami (4.55%), Denver (6.03%), Orlando (5.59%), Charlotte (4.94%), Salt Lake City (5.17%), and barely squeaks by Washington DC- Baltimore (4.32%) by the narrowest of margins.
List of Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can we please end the myth that Seattle is the fastest growing city? It's not.
Its generally true that Seattle both the MSA and city while fast growing are not the fastest. Typically the Texas cities or Denver etc. are a bit faster. However, we had a one year blip last year where the city really did grow faster than any other large city based on the census estimates. The chart you reference is doing a 3 year comparison which is why the percentages are so generally high.

Here's one of the articles.
http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...city-in-the-us

Old 11-11-2014, 10:17 AM

638 posts, read 978,444 times
lol @ Oakland as a choice

Old 01-30-2015, 10:20 AM

230 posts, read 623,393 times
Hi,
I wanted to share my experience with the Seattle area, especially when it comes to dating. I am a Californian who moved up here with a (now ex) husband 10 years ago. Now that I'm single for a while, I'm getting out. This is not a great area to date, at all. The odd "Seattle Freeze" (you'll want to google that,) is real, and apparently applies to dating.

It's a strange social scene here. You meet people and you think "oh, I could date that guy" and then.. nothing happens. They like you, but they never close the deal. I've heard this from guys, too. But then they'll spend hours with online dating, thinking that maybe someone in cyberspace might be a better match.

It can be a little harder to meet people, due to the weather, but it's really harder to create deep and lasting friendships and bonds here. Also, though I'm caucasian, I've been surprised by the social segregation of the Puget Sound area. It's an strange mix of mostly white tech hipsters, surrounded by suburban-rural people with attitudes right out of the 1930s. Tacoma is actually gritty, but fun, and a bit more socially diverse, but still has that weird edge to it.

Maybe it's because I am a native Californian, but I totally prefer the social scene and the people, there. SO easy to meet people and become actual friends. I've been back there every year for a few months, and marvel at how people will look you in the eye and say hello as you pass on the street. Also, the fabulous weather makes it easier to make friends 365 days a year.

I need to read all the replies, but wanted to add this to the convo, while I have a chance before starting work today. I wish you the best in your travels! I don't know about Chicago, but everyone I've talked to through my work are very nice and down to earth. But it's sooo cold there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay135 View Post
Hello guys I am a black male 25 from Atlanta, going into the It field mainly networking administration. I will be moving in at least 2yrs but I cant decide to where. I am looking for an urban vibe I like open minded ppl and hip things, i have many friends who are white, asian, and black. So i am looking for an integrated and diver communities and a interracial dating scene. Also which one would be easy to find new friends and have a nice gaming and some nerdy sides to it for a black guy because i would know no one in any of these parts? chicago seattle or oakland

Old 01-30-2015, 10:22 AM

230 posts, read 623,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Seattle is hardly a melting pot. It's more like dishes set on the same table, with different ingredients. The most segregated City I've ever lived in.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:43 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
lol @ Oakland as a choice
Enlighten us with your experience of Oakland then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City