Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:58 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times

Advertisements

As time goes by, I'm hearing more connections drawn between Raleigh, NC and Austin, TX. Tech jobs, progressive, home to universities (NCSU, UT), becoming more trendy, etc. Do you agree? Or do you believe Raleigh still has a ways to go? I visited the North Hills area of Raleigh the other night, and it reminded me of the day I visited Austin a few years back. 20 years ago or so, it wasn't like this at all. Speaking for the whole Research Triangle metro, do you agree that it's going down an Austin-ish path?

Last edited by JayJayCB; 12-07-2014 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 05:26 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
As time goes by, I'm hearing more connections drawn between Raleigh, NC and Austin, TX. Tech jobs, progressive, home to universities (NCSU, UT), becoming more trendy, etc. Do you agree? Or do you believe Raleigh still has a ways to go? I visited the North Hills area of Raleigh the other night, and it reminded me of the day I visited Austin a few years back. 20 years ago or so, it wasn't like this at all. Speaking for the whole Research Triangle metro, do you agree that it's going down an Austin-ish path?
I hope for your sake it isn't. IMO, Austin has been utterly ruined by all the hype. It was a much better place to live 20 years ago when it was still Texas' best kept secret, and has lost most of it's old charm and character, while becoming ridiculously expensive and clogged with some of the worst traffic I've ever seen.

Hopefully Raleigh can learn from Austin's mistakes.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:30 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I hope for your sake it isn't. IMO, Austin has been utterly ruined by all the hype. It was a much better place to live 20 years ago, and has lost most of it's old charm and character, while becoming ridiculously expensive and clogged with some of the worst traffic I've ever seen.

Hopefully Raleigh can learn from Austin's mistakes.
No Raleigh is Raleigh and that's what makes it a great metro in North Carolina. It dosent try and be other like other cities. If someone wanted Austin then they can move there. There are posters on C-D that swear up and down everytime Raleigh or Charlotte is doing something good that were just trying to be like other cities

Old 12-07-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
No Raleigh is Raleigh and that's what makes it a great metro in North Carolina. It dosent try and be other like other cities. If someone wanted Austin then they can move there. There are posters on C-D that swear up and down everytime Raleigh or Charlotte is doing something good that were just trying to be like other cities
Not sure why you're showing me "the hand". I'm not one of those people. I was basically telling the OP that hopefully Raleigh doesn't have the same fate as Austin.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Not sure why you're showing me "the hand". I'm not one of those people. I was basically telling the OP that hopefully Raleigh doesn't have the same fate as Austin.
Oh no that wasn't ment for you lol. That last sentence was for anyone who thinks that. Sorry Just letting the Op no that there are people that stay on C-D all day and if anything good comes up with Charlotte or Raleigh then were just a copycat to other cities.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Oh no that wasn't ment for you lol. That last sentence was for anyone who thinks that. Sorry Just letting the Op no that there are people that stay on C-D all day and if anything good comes up with Charlotte or Raleigh then were just a copycat to other cities.
No problem. I realized after I posted that I probably read it wrong. We're good.

I think people in these forums say that kind of, ahem.. "stuff" about any sunbelt city that is experiencing a ton of growth, because, you know... there can't be anything unique or original about a sunbelt city.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
No problem. I realized after I posted that I probably read it wrong. We're good.
Haha same here man but i do agree with you on that first post. Raleigh was a hidden Gem but now its exploding. If any other metro needs mass transit outside of Charlotte then i would pick Raleigh hands down. They really do need some type of rail.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:57 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Raleigh is, rightly or wrongly, viewed as plain compared to the weirdness of Austin.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:10 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
When people compare Raleigh and the Research Triangle to other cities/metros, seems like three names always pop up. Austin, Atlanta, and Northern Virginia. Maybe Richmond, too. For the most part, that's about it if we're excluding Charlotte or Greensboro/Winston-Salem. Makes sense, though.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Raleigh is, rightly or wrongly, viewed as plain compared to the weirdness of Austin.
What "weirdness"? There really isn't anything weird about Austin anymore. All part of the hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City