Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels more Asian- the San Francisco Bay area (SF Bay) or Greater Toronto (GTA) ?
SF Bay 60 59.41%
GTA 41 40.59%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:28 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
The Golden Horseshoe imo includes CMAs that are (in my very subject opinion) not super connected to Toronto's...I wouldn't imagine that there's a ton of commuter interconnectivity between Hamilton, St. Catherines-Niagara, Kitchener-Waterloo, or Guelph, and Toronto...could be wrong though..

but in the case of the SF MSA and the SJ MSA, they are both VERY interconnected
Well you'd be surprised if we used U.S style measure of interconnectivity which we don't so its a moot point right? I mean great they are connected by highways for trade but they aren't really a connected 'urbanized area' they are connected by highways and trade not any great urbanized connectivity with respectable level of contiguous density - but really that escapes the point of this excercise imo - If we are comparing which areas feel more 'Asian' you need to use comparitive areas/populations.. By all means - pick an Area within the Bay Area CSA that is equivalent to the GTA's 6.1 million (2011 census - 2013 estimates are more like 6.34m) over 7100 sq km (I think that you could get your S.F and S.J MSA in such an area.. It would also be easier to find demographic info for the GTA - we largely don't care about super regions that are geared more towards commuter patters than meaningful urbanized areas.
I'd definitely edit it if I could...but CD isn't letting my edit my OP (i think you can only do that within a certain time period after the post)...but combined the SF and San Jose MSAs have 6,271,052 people of whom 1,631,513 are Asian- so that's ~26.0%. The MSAs together I'm sure are still a MUCH larger area than the Toronto CMA, so still not an apples to apples comparison, but it's better than the Bay Area CSA vs the Toronto CMA.

Canadian CMAs are pretty tightly defined and highly urbanized!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:40 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
I'd definitely edit it if I could...but CD isn't letting my edit my OP (i think you can only do that within a certain time period after the post)...but combined the SF and San Jose MSAs have 6,271,052 people of whom 1,631,513 are Asian- so that's ~26.0%. The MSAs together I'm sure are still a MUCH larger area than the Toronto CMA, so still not an apples to apples comparison, but it's better than the Bay Area CSA vs the Toronto CMA.

Canadian CMAs are pretty tightly defined and highly urbanized!
Agreed but I think this is about as good as we're gonna get really... Go for it imo

Last edited by fusion2; 12-08-2014 at 08:49 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 07:30 PM

10 posts, read 15,339 times
My vote goes to Toronto, but the Bay Area Asian population is certainly nothing to scoff at.

Both metro areas have an enormous Asian population in terms of North American standards. In either of the two places, you can see Asians all over the region, from the downtown core to the far-flung suburbs. I'd even argue that the Bay Area is the most Asian-friendly metro in the United States (Los Angeles is #2 because of its larger Hispanic influence).

Why I think the GTA edges out here is not just because of statistics, but the sheer visibility of Asian Canadians in and around Toronto. There are huge swaths of areas that Asians dominate Toronto; the most notable ones including Chinatown (of course), Brampton, Markham, Agincourt, Mississauga, etc. The Bay Area definitely has its own areas including Daly City, Fremont, Miltipas, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, etc. but compared to the GTA, the Asian culture feel more suppressed in the Bay. This may be due to American culture (melting pot vs Canada's cultural mosaic), or it may be because of the noticeable Hispanic influence in the Bay. Contrast this with some parts of the GTA, where you will literally feel like you're in another country. The Asian culture there is much more pronounced.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
y vote goes to Toronto, but the Bay Area Asian population is certainly nothing to scoff at.

Both metro areas have an enormous Asian population in terms of North American standards. In either of the two places, you can see Asians all over the region, from the downtown core to the far-flung suburbs. I'd even argue that the Bay Area is the most Asian-friendly metro in the United States (Los Angeles is #2 because of its larger Hispanic influence).

Why I think the GTA edges out here is not just because of statistics, but the sheer visibility of Asian Canadians in and around Toronto. There are huge swaths of areas that Asians dominate Toronto; the most notable ones including Chinatown (of course), Brampton, Markham, Agincourt, Mississauga, etc. The Bay Area definitely has its own areas including Daly City, Fremont, Miltipas, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, etc. but compared to the GTA, the Asian culture feel more suppressed in the Bay. This may be due to American culture (melting pot vs Canada's cultural mosaic), or it may be because of the noticeable Hispanic influence in the Bay. Contrast this with some parts of the GTA, where you will literally feel like you're in another country. The Asian culture there is much more pronounced.
Rate this post positively
Nice comparison! Is the Asian visibility in the GTA more on par with the SF Bay are or with Greater Vancouver?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:05 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
I honestly didn't know Toronto was so Asian. I knew that the Chinese were scooping up condos similar to Latins buying in Miami, but didn't know that was because Toronto was such an Asian place (thought it was simply because the city was willing to allow that many condos to be put up...unlike SF which restricts development moreso than any other major city in NA).

I do know the Bay Area is about as Asian as it gets in the US (which seems logical given its immense and historical near 175 year old Chinatown and other long-standing ethnic communities such as the two area Japantowns, etc, not to mention its location on the W Coast), so if Toronto in NE Canada is even more Asian, then that is quite impressive! I've heard Toronto has a HUGE Indian population. Are we counting them as Asian? Or are we limiting to Eastern/SE Asia?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I honestly didn't know Toronto was so Asian. I knew that the Chinese were scooping up condos similar to Latins buying in Miami, but didn't know that was because Toronto was such an Asian place (thought it was simply because the city was willing to allow that many condos to be put up...unlike SF which restricts development moreso than any other major city in NA).

I do know the Bay Area is about as Asian as it gets in the US (which seems logical given its immense and historical near 175 year old Chinatown and other long-standing ethnic communities such as the two area Japantowns, etc, not to mention its location on the W Coast), so if Toronto in NE Canada is even more Asian, then that is quite impressive! I've heard Toronto has a HUGE Indian population. Are we counting them as Asian? Or are we limiting to Eastern/SE Asia?
Yep, we're including Indians and other south Asians in the mix as well. What's interesting is that in addition to the large Indian population in Toronto (which seems to be largely Punjabi; interestingly enough, outside of the IT workers in the Silicon Valley, a lot of the Bay Area's Indian population is Punjabi as well- though not to the extent of Toronto), there's a massive Sri Lankan Tamil population in the GTA, mostly concentrated in Scarborough. I think the GTA has almost as many Tamil speakers as the entire United States.

The Bay Area has a pretty large South Asian population- I actually think it's proportionally the largest South Asian population in the US- slightly higher on a percentage basis than the NYC area- albeit with much smaller numbers. But the GTA is as South Asian as a Metro like Dallas is black, which is pretty mindblowing.

On the South/Southeast Asian front, the GTA has a significantly larger Chinese presence (10.8% percent vs 7.9% in the Bay), a slightly smaller Filipino presence (4.2% vs 5.1% in the Bay), a similar Korean presence (1.1% vs 1.0% in the bay), but a much smaller Vietnamese presence (<1% vs 2.5% in the Bay)...so I think when looking at South/Southeast Asians alone they're fairly comparable.

When you include South Asians, Toronto feels entirely different...this is why I feel like Greater Toronto's demographics are kind of similar to those of the Bay Area, but with much of the Hispanic population traded for a South Asian population and the American-born black population traded for a Jamaican population...another way of thinking about of GTA demographics, is similar to Greater London (in the UK) but with 16-17% of the white British ppl exchanged for east Asians.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:10 PM

527 posts, read 708,784 times
Toronto has lots of Indians, while San Francisco has more Chinese/SE Asians.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Toronto has lots of Indians, while San Francisco has more Chinese/SE Asians.
Toronto has more Chinese, I'm pretty sure. SF/Bay Area has more southeast Asians, but there's a pretty large number in Toronto as well.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Toronto has more Chinese, I'm pretty sure. SF/Bay Area has more southeast Asians, but there's a pretty large number in Toronto as well.
I would imagine you'd get more Vietnamese, Malays, Indonesians and Thai for example in the Bay area.. The GTA has a pretty large Flip community but I honestly don't know how that compares to the Bay area in terms of numbers. For sheer number of Chinese though, yes the GTA probably has more and I would definately say for South Asian.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-09-2014 at 10:02 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post

T.O like S.F has a huge Chinatown (several actually) but as other posters have mentioned there's a massive Chinese population in other parts like Markham, Richmond Hill, Scarborough etc.. This large Chinese population in the GTA predates the latest condo boom!

The Pacific Mall in Markham is the largest indoor Asian (Chinese Shopping Mall in N.A) for example

Pacific Mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and the only place in the GTA to buy phone/tablet related accessories btw lol..

Anyway - as for South Asian population - yup its massive in Toronto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR1VcOZT40c

Last edited by fusion2; 12-09-2014 at 10:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City