Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels like the larger MSA- Greater Atlanta or Greater Philadelphia?
Atlanta MSA 93 37.96%
Philly MSA 152 62.04%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:13 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
No body in Philly is threatened by the overgrown suburb of Atlanta. Trust me. Maybe Atlanta is good competition for Montgomery County, PA, but not the city of Philadelphia.
Doubtful, as your foaming at the mouth in post after post and dismissing Atlanta at every turn pretty much proves the opposite.

Interesting that Atlanta has more hotel rooms and annual visitors than Philly. I wonder why?

And the fact remains that Atlanta feels much more expansive when traversing the metro by car.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:33 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Doubtful, as your foaming at the mouth in post after post and dismissing Atlanta at every turn pretty much proves the opposite.

Interesting that Atlanta has more hotel rooms and annual visitors than Philly. I wonder why?

And the fact remains that Atlanta feels much more expansive when traversing the metro by car.
You cannot say that without at least providing at least one stat. Anyway you realize why people go to Atlanta right? Huge airport combined with a huge focus on conventions and trade shows. Only reason it is even near the top of any list of most visited

Old 12-21-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
You cannot say that without at least providing at least one stat. Anyway you realize why people go to Atlanta right? Huge airport combined with a huge focus on conventions and trade shows. Only reason it is even near the top of any list of most visited
These are well known, very verifiable facts that anyone adept at searching can easily find.

And yet even more dismissiveness regarding Atlanta.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
These are well known, very verifiable facts that anyone adept at searching can easily find.

And yet even more dismissiveness regarding Atlanta.
lol.. nice. We got another C-D scholar on our hands. I ask you to prove facts and you say anyone adept can find it. Sorry my methodology includes just typing in "Americas most visited cities" on google. If you would like to provide more information that's fine.

Sorry I dismiss Atlanta, it does not rank high on my list of places I have visited. I did enjoy Daddy D's though!

MSA wise I have no idea. One thing Philly has going for it is that the suburbs are culturally different from south jersey to Lancaster to Maryland to Delaware to Bucks County/Mercer County. This can give you the sense that the MSA is rather larger even though on a map it isn't as impressive since DC/Bmore is pushing to the south and NYC pushing down from the north. Atlanta's suburbs are well all Georgia. Count me out.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:41 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
lol.. nice. We got another C-D scholar on our hands. I ask you to prove facts and you say anyone adept can find it. Sorry my methodology includes just typing in "Americas most visited cities" on google. If you would like to provide more information that's fine.

Sorry I dismiss Atlanta, it does not rank high on my list of places I have visited. I did enjoy Daddy D's though!

MSA wise I have no idea. One thing Philly has going for it is that the suburbs are culturally different from south jersey to Lancaster to Maryland to Delaware to Bucks County/Mercer County. This can give you the sense that the MSA is rather larger even though on a map it isn't as impressive since DC/Bmore is pushing to the south and NYC pushing down from the north. Atlanta's suburbs are well all Georgia. Count me out.
Count you out? I'm sure Atlantans are crying bitter tears over that prospect.
And he's right about about doing your own research. That is, unless you want to avoid the truth...which apparently you do.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Count you out? I'm sure Atlantans are crying bitter tears over that prospect.
And he's right about about doing your own research. That is, unless you want to avoid the truth...which apparently you do.
avoid what truth? That Atlanta gets more visitors? Atlanta should get more vistors considering it is branded as "The City" of the south. Here is the third article on the google search.

List: America's Most-Visited Cities - Forbes

It is old. If you would like to provide numbers for 2014 please do so. Philadelphia with 30 million visitors:

Quote:
One of the most historic cities in the U.S., Philadelphia has a great museum system that includes the African American Museum and National Constitution Center. With traveling exhibits that attract millions of attendees, it’s understandable that Philly’s day-leisure-visitor count is as high as 12.97 million. Even with all the day trippers, the city’s hotels performed admirably in 2009, with a 61.7% occupancy rate.
Atlanta with 35 million visitors:

Quote:
Over the years Atlanta has built an impressive convention and meetings industry, and a third of its visitors come for huge events like the AmericasMart Home Furnishings Market. Regardless, Atlanta’s showing in 2009′s ranking of hotel occupancy rates was dismal, with only about half of its rooms filled. But it still ranked as the seventh-most-popular destination for international visitors.
So great that they have all these empty hotels... People love their wholesale rugs though.

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards...ExZjkyYmNm.png

Old 12-21-2014, 03:58 PM

^And the put-downs continue.

Sorry the facts don't favor Philly. And how convenient there was no mention of Philadelphia's occupancy rates during the middle of the recession, but Atlanta's are certainly highlighted lol!

You guys are rich.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:45 PM

266 posts, read 276,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Atlanta sprawl has slowed significantly in the last decade. The push to live inside 285 has skyrocketed. The amount of development in Buckhead, Brookhaven, Midtown, the West End, East Atlanta, and Downtown has boomed over the years. More high-density, walkable developments have sprouted all around the central core of Atlanta. The amount of highrise development UC or proposed is amazing.
Really? According to emporis, there are only 7 highrises under construction in the city of Atlanta. "Amazing" to me would mean dozens under construction (at least). Is emporis simply missing the lions share of u/c highrises?

Old 12-21-2014, 04:56 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,069 times
^^^But Philly doesn't have dozens either. And Atlanta needs more 4-6 story low-rises building up density before sprouting more random 30-40 story towers in the leafy green burbs. Which is precisely what it's doing. I don't like Atlanta's style of development, but it's adding more units and growing faster than Philadelphia is.

I have a few of my own photos I have posted on another site that would end this whole debate. There are vantage points in metro Atlanta where over 10-15-20 miles you can peer through several large skylines. Driving up 85 from Midtown to 400, one is literally surrounded on all sides by skyscrapers. I also have Atlanta traffic shots showing 14++ lanes with bumper to bumper congestion on either side, lined with buildings and access roads.

The fact that there are still people arguing for Philadelphia city's density and vibrancy in its core clues me in that people have blinders or comprehension issues. This is an MSA level question about what "feels" more massive.

And for all those population stats, at the rate Atlanta is still growing despite its slowed growth, it won't be long before no matter how you look at it, it will technically be a more massive metro both in terms of land area and population.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:48 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:

Quote:
^And the put-downs continue.

Sorry the facts don't favor Philly. And how convenient there was no mention of Philadelphia's occupancy rates during the middle of the recession, but Atlanta's are certainly highlighted lol!

You guys are rich.
Lol. The only one foaming or doing any insulting is you. Typical City Data persona. You know you're losing so you result to insults and attacks.

The facts do favor Philly actually, in almost every single metric.

And that was an article by Forbes. Here is the full quotes from the article that the other poster didn't post:

7. Atlanta- 35,400,000 visitors
Over the years Atlanta has built an impressive convention and meetings industry, and a third of its visitors come for huge events like the AmericasMart Home Furnishings Market. Regardless, Atlanta’s showing in 2009′s ranking of hotel occupancy rates was dismal, with only about half of its rooms filled. But it still ranked as the seventh-most-popular destination for international visitors.

9. Philadelphia- 30,320,000 visitors
One of the most historic cities in the U.S., Philadelphia has a great museum system that includes the African American Museum and National Constitution Center. With traveling exhibits that attract millions of attendees, it’s understandable that Philly’s day-leisure-visitor count is as high as 12.97 million. Even with all the day trippers, the city’s hotels performed admirably in 2009, with a 61.7% occupancy rate.

In 2013, hotel occupancy rates rose in Philadelphia to 73.4%.
In 2013, hotel occupancy rates rose in Atlanta to 61%

List: America's Most-Visited Cities - Forbes
Room Boom: Center City Hotel Heads-in-Beds 2012 Rates Neared Pre-Recession Figures - Regions Business Philadelphia
Average daily room rate increase for Atlanta hotel rooms | International Meetings Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City