Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:39 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times

Advertisements

SEA and MSP seem not great for dating if you're a transplant. They don't call it Seattle Freeze and Minnesota Nice for no reason.

Granted there are a lot of Midwest ppl in DEN but can't say its unwelcoming from a dating perspective. People are friendly and dating seems a little more down to earth - but there is a bit of snottiness even in laid back Denver. Probably from a mix of transplants settling there (myself included).

LA is diluted for dating. You either have money or connections in Hollywood to get laid. It's more similar to the NYC dating scene. Finance bros get laid because they've got money but the personalities are terrible.

No idea about Chicago. I've spent little time there but seems more fun for dating than MSP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 12:54 PM

Here's an update 1.5 years later after moving to Denver.

I would say Los Angeles for me hands down. I've lived in both (single, male) and have been dating below my weight class overall since I moved to Denver. There is just a lot of competition here, and it's a smaller metro area.

But for a girl, I'd be careful about Denver as well. There is a big range of guys out here, but I see more overweight, hipster tattooed dudes with tons of piercings and dress like a homeless person. I see a lot less of that in L.A., and while some girls might be into that I would say the vast majority in other cities don't.

Also when I went on dates with women in L.A., rarely did I go on one where I was bored. Usually we would have great conversations, and we usually hit it off pretty quickly. I've noticed girls out here are bad conversationalists, are less mature, and less relatable since many have never lived on both coasts like I have.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:48 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Here's an update 1.5 years later after moving to Denver.

I would say Los Angeles for me hands down. I've lived in both (single, male) and have been dating below my weight class overall since I moved to Denver. There is just a lot of competition here, and it's a smaller metro area.

But for a girl, I'd be careful about Denver as well. There is a big range of guys out here, but I see more overweight, hipster tattooed dudes with tons of piercings and dress like a homeless person. I see a lot less of that in L.A., and while some girls might be into that I would say the vast majority in other cities don't.

Also when I went on dates with women in L.A., rarely did I go on one where I was bored. Usually we would have great conversations, and we usually hit it off pretty quickly. I've noticed girls out here are bad conversationalists, are less mature, and less relatable since many have never lived on both coasts like I have.
Thanks for the update.

How would you compare the dating scene on the East coast vs West?

Old 08-27-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Thanks for the update.

How would you compare the dating scene on the East coast vs West?
Good question - I think it depends on where you live. In NYC, I don't think there would be any issue since there are tons of single people and my apps are always blowing up when I fly to visit family back East. I'm not an NYC person so I have no plans on relocating back there.

I'm on the fence right now, but probably returning back to L.A. later next month. The game I've seen with dating out here (and not just me, but other single guys) is baffling. Just some very stuck up and snotty people out here with a selfish perspective of the world.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:32 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,347 times
I hear you. I lived in Denver- it has a weird vibe in an unpleasant way.

Does the stigma of "Los Mangeles" holds true in your opinion in a sense that the scene is unbalanced?

Old 08-27-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
I hear you. I lived in Denver- it has a weird vibe in an unpleasant way.

Does the stigma of "Los Mangeles" holds true in your opinion in a sense that the scene is unbalanced?
Not really - the ratio is more balanced. Out here I've never encountered so many 30 year olds who act like they are 14. Can't tell if it's this weird obsession with the Mountains or not enough oxygen for the brain. Either way many are white trash and it's not compatible.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:33 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
stereotype much??

I'm college educated with a masters, and I never broke $35K living in Chicago area in my career. In LA I make around $50K doing the same exact thing.
What occupation would never let you break out of $35,000 if you're college educated with a masters

Most everyone I know getting jobs in Chicago with just a bachelors is starting out around $60,000. $35,000 is like clerical work and only a high school diploma.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:29 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I'd say Denver. The city has a favorable men to women ratio. Fit men who love to go outdoors. Has a good economy. And are generally non douchey(Like LA men).
I also say Denver, not so much because of the dating sceen, but because it's so expensive to live in Chicago and L.A! Illinois is a fiscal mess! As far as what Tex?IL? said, that depends on the occupation! Chicago typically does pay well, but rent, etc is also high. As far as dating, there is a lot to do in Chicago and a lot of places to meet singles.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I also say Denver, not so much because of the dating sceen, but because it's so expensive to live in Chicago and L.A! Illinois is a fiscal mess! As far as what Tex?IL? said, that depends on the occupation! Chicago typically does pay well, but rent, etc is also high. As far as dating, there is a lot to do in Chicago and a lot of places to meet singles.
Actually the COL in Denver has been steadily rising over the last few years. Apparently it costs nearly as much just to rent in Denver as it is in Los Angeles. The only difference is it's still much cheaper to buy a house in Denver proper itself over Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City