Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 08:45 PM

11 posts, read 25,409 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am a 24 year old male young professional living in Pittsburgh, PA looking to relocate to another city. I've enjoyed many things about living in Pittsburgh, but as of now, the cons have been outweighing the pros.

Cons of Pittsburgh

1. Lack of sunshine. It is is overcast & gray most of the time and very damp/wet from the high rain frequency. Pgh actually has about as much, if not less, sun than Seattle. Just as rainy as well!
2. Slow job growth. Although unemployment is low in Pgh and the job market is relatively stable, it is not a job growth mecca. The combination of a large college student population and slow job growth rate makes it very competitive for a decent paying job. Underemployment seems to be an issue here.
3. Lack of diverse nightlife options. Pgh is definitely a Mecca for those that love dive bars and college bars. I do enjoy them as well, but that is all it seems to have. Not much variety in terms of other nightlife venues, such as clubs.
4. Lack of young professionals & transplants. Pittsburgh attracts people from all over to attend the local colleges/universities and has done a much better job at retention than in years prior; however, it is still lacking in a noticeable influx of young professionals from outside the region. Most people here at age 24 seem to still be in college or grad school, which is probably reflective in the mostly college/dive bar oriented nightlife venues.
5. Very run down, old, & trashy throughout much of the city

There are a few more cons, but I want to shift over to the things I would like to see in one of the three cities I am considering. I prefer them to be ranked by each category; however, a commentary of each would be much appreciated.

What I am looking for in ATL, DFW, DEN

1. Water activities. This could be a place with a longer swim season in a lake or pool; or offers the most in terms of kayaking, jet skiing, etc. Are these lakes clean? Do many people use them? I don't mind some travel. Cleanliness of lakes is important. In terms of pools, the more apartment complexes that have them, the better. Vibrant daytime pool party scene.
2. Walkability. This is where Pittsburgh wins, but I know these 3 cities have some walkable neighborhoods. I would much rather vibrant, walkable nightlife districts over having walkable amenities like grocery stores or pharmacies. I have a car for those.
3. Job growth. I am looking at which city appears to have an abundance of job opportunities and is projected to stay that way.
4. Diverse nightlife options. The most comprehensive and vibrant nightlife. From dive bars to dance clubs to salsa dancing, etc. Give me some variety! I would rather it not stray more than 5 miles from city center.
5. Extensive trails for cycling. I don't need mountains, but I would like to bike more than 10 miles. Also think about weather as well (e.g. Too much snow, rain, cold, or heat).
6. City vibrancy. Doesn't have to be downtown, but also adjacent neighborhoods. Think in terms of street life, city parks, outdoor bars/restaurants. Both day and night.
7. Lots of Young Professionals! I am not looking for a college town or a retirement community. Lots of young professionals, especially transplants. I do not desire a provincial city like Pittsburgh.

This is my first post, so I might adjust it along the way with additional questions and responses. Sorry if it's too lengthy. If you lived in Pittsburgh and have lived in any of these cities, your comments would be awesome! Thanks for your help! I am looking to move to one of these 3 cities in the spring/summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 09:22 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,744,667 times
In terms of swimming it's
Dallas, Atlanta, Denver

Biking is
Denver, Atlanta, Dallas

Youth is
Dallas, Atlanta, Denver

In terms of unemployment rate it's
Denver (4.2%), Dallas (5.5%), Atlanta (7.3%)

I can't comment in-depth on Atlanta, but I've lived in DFW and Denver, and for me it's Denver hands-down. DFW is ungodly hot and moderately humid during the summer. It's not very outdoorsy and is the epitome of sprawl. There are pockets of walkability here and there but DFW is VERY car-dependent. Denver is less car-dependent but you'll still need wheels.

Downtown Denver > Downtown Dallas. No contest. Downtown Dallas is very business-driven and it's practically a ghost town after hours. Downtown Denver, OTOH, with several bars, restaurants, the 16th Street Mall, the Pepsi Center, and Coors Field is an entertainment district.

The downside to Denver is the COL is higher than DFW or Atlanta. Rent is pretty high here. If you can swing the COL and enjoy outdoor activities Denver is your best bet.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 12-20-2014 at 09:40 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Downtown Denver > Downtown Dallas. No contest. Downtown Dallas is very business-driven and it's practically a ghost town after hours. Downtown Denver, OTOH, with several bars, restaurants, the 16th Street Mall, the Pepsi Center, and Coors Field is an entertainment district.
Thanks for the response, bluescreen73! Downtown Dallas sounds a lot like Downtown Pittsburgh, both being a ghost town after 5. However, Pittsburgh does have vibrancy in nearby neighborhoods such as Southside. Would you say Denver is more downtown-centric in terms of vibrancy and less neighborhood centric, whereas Dallas is more neighborhood-centric? How does Uptown Dallas and Deep Ellum compare to Denver?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:58 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,744,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshstart24 View Post
Thanks for the response, bluescreen73! Downtown Dallas sounds a lot like Downtown Pittsburgh, both being a ghost town after 5. However, Pittsburgh does have vibrancy in nearby neighborhoods such as Southside. Would you say Denver is more downtown-centric in terms of vibrancy and less neighborhood centric, whereas Dallas is more neighborhood-centric? How does Uptown Dallas and Deep Ellum compare to Denver?
Denver is definitely more downtown-centric than Dallas. There are some neighborhoods adjacent to downtown with pockets of nightlife, but downtown & LoDo definitely have more.

I'd say Deep Ellum and Uptown compare more favorably to downtown Denver. The size aspect tips it a little in favor of Dallas, but summer nights in Denver are fantastic. With the humidity and the heat island effect Dallas doesn't cool off as much at night as Denver does.

When the Rockies are in town during the summer you'll have 35-40,000 people at Coors Field on a Saturday Night alone. That's on top of the usual downtown crowds. Dallas doesn't have that.

My advice to you is to take some time and check out all 3 areas. Spend a few days in each - preferably in July/August and/or January/February. We still have a winter in Denver, but it's generally a little warmer during the day than Pittsburgh.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,070,822 times
I'm going to give my perspective from an Atlanta native so take it as you will.

1. Water activities. Denver > Dallas > Atlanta unless you drive 7 miles Northeast of central Atlanta and tube the Chattahoochee river. Every new apartment building going up generally has a pool though.

2. Walkability.

Questionable here...I think Denver probably has a better downtown than Atlanta or Dallas, but Atlanta's urban core is larger than Denver's or Dallas'. Midtown is a great urban neighborhood(best one in Atlanta) with plenty of young professionals and a solid nightlife scene(mix of Clubs and Bars...Atlanta is known as a club city more than a bar city). It's close to one of the best parks in the South- Piedmont Park.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7582/...703a4378_h.jpg is a recent photo of Atlanta's central core. Midtown is the strip to the North of the freeway in the center of the freeway running through the city.

Denver = Atlanta > Dallas

3. Job growth.

Right now as far as current economy, Dallas > Denver > Atlanta...I'm not going to simply base it off unemployment rate.

All three cities have a good current job growth rate however.

4. Diverse nightlife options. Atlanta > Dallas > Denver

Atlanta has a varied nightlife with a focus on strip clubs and dance clubs. Dallas is similar. Denver has a focus on bars and pubs. I've never heard Denver's nightlife to be "exciting" either.

5. Extensive trails for cycling.
Denver > Atlanta > Dallas

6. City vibrancy.

Denver = Atlanta > Dallas...Denver has a more vibrant downtown(though it isn't all that vibrant), but I think Atlanta's urban neighborhoods are the most vibrant. Inman Park, Atlantic Station, Little Five Points, Midtown, Edgewood Avenue, Central Buckhead, and East Atlanta are all vibrant neighborhoods, especially during the evenings.

7. Lots of Young Professionals!

All three do well in this aspect. You won't have a problem in any of these cities.

If your main focus is outdoor activities, head for Denver. If you're looking for a great economy with a lot of future job growth, head to Dallas. Atlanta's local economy is still struggling a bit and people can't find jobs fast enough. I don't want you to be one of those people.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:44 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,408,789 times
Atlanta's not so unwalkable as many would think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBWjUEOf1x0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDo9jE0AHyY

Old 12-21-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Denver is definitely more downtown-centric than Dallas. There are some neighborhoods adjacent to downtown with pockets of nightlife, but downtown & LoDo definitely have more.

I'd say Deep Ellum and Uptown compare more favorably to downtown Denver. The size aspect tips it a little in favor of Dallas, but summer nights in Denver are fantastic. With the humidity and the heat island effect Dallas doesn't cool off as much at night as Denver does.

When the Rockies are in town during the summer you'll have 35-40,000 people at Coors Field on a Saturday Night alone. That's on top of the usual downtown crowds. Dallas doesn't have that.

My advice to you is to take some time and check out all 3 areas. Spend a few days in each - preferably in July/August and/or January/February. We still have a winter in Denver, but it's generally a little warmer during the day than Pittsburgh.
There are pros and cons to having downtown-centric vibrancy vs. neighborhood. I am used to vibrant neighborhoods in the case of Pittsburgh, so Dallas doesn't look too weird to me. Downtown Pgh around Point Park does come alive during the summer with the fountain and biking/walking paths. A lot of people take advantage of kayaking and boating on the rivers. Throw in a Pirates games and you have quite the excitement in the Downtown/North Shore area. However, this occurs only when it is not raining and limited to mostly summer. We do maintain our football, baseball, and hockey team in central Pgh. In the case of Dallas, it appears you have some life with Victory Park when the Mavericks or Stars play. However, the football and baseball team in Arlington is a major negative for Dallas IMO. Denver does a much better job at centralization it appears.

Denver lows appear to be a little too chilly in the summer and Dallas a little too warm. I am curious to see how the winter affects outdoor activities in Denver. The swim season appears much shorter in Denver than Atlanta or Dallas and I am not a huge winter sports fan. Cycling, running, kayaking, and swimming are my big ones. All 3 have weather cons - Denver too cold, Dallas too hot, Atlanta too humid. However, they all beat Pgh in # of sunny days and low # of cloudy/rainy days. Believe me, I will take sunny hot and dry over cloudy and damp any day.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm going to give my perspective from an Atlanta native so take it as you will.

1. Water activities. Denver > Dallas > Atlanta unless you drive 7 miles Northeast of central Atlanta and tube the Chattahoochee river. Every new apartment building going up generally has a pool though.

2. Walkability.

Questionable here...I think Denver probably has a better downtown than Atlanta or Dallas, but Atlanta's urban core is larger than Denver's or Dallas'. Midtown is a great urban neighborhood(best one in Atlanta) with plenty of young professionals and a solid nightlife scene(mix of Clubs and Bars...Atlanta is known as a club city more than a bar city). It's close to one of the best parks in the South- Piedmont Park.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7582/...703a4378_h.jpg is a recent photo of Atlanta's central core. Midtown is the strip to the North of the freeway in the center of the freeway running through the city.

Denver = Atlanta > Dallas

3. Job growth.

Right now as far as current economy, Dallas > Denver > Atlanta...I'm not going to simply base it off unemployment rate.

All three cities have a good current job growth rate however.

4. Diverse nightlife options. Atlanta > Dallas > Denver

Atlanta has a varied nightlife with a focus on strip clubs and dance clubs. Dallas is similar. Denver has a focus on bars and pubs. I've never heard Denver's nightlife to be "exciting" either.

5. Extensive trails for cycling.
Denver > Atlanta > Dallas

6. City vibrancy.

Denver = Atlanta > Dallas...Denver has a more vibrant downtown(though it isn't all that vibrant), but I think Atlanta's urban neighborhoods are the most vibrant. Inman Park, Atlantic Station, Little Five Points, Midtown, Edgewood Avenue, Central Buckhead, and East Atlanta are all vibrant neighborhoods, especially during the evenings.

7. Lots of Young Professionals!

All three do well in this aspect. You won't have a problem in any of these cities.

If your main focus is outdoor activities, head for Denver. If you're looking for a great economy with a lot of future job growth, head to Dallas. Atlanta's local economy is still struggling a bit and people can't find jobs fast enough. I don't want you to be one of those people.
From my research, I agree Midtown is a solid neighborhood with a lot to offer. It has a nice mix of nightlife and everything that you would want in a city neighborhood. Not everything has to be downtown. It is competitive with Downtown/LoDo Denver, but probably offers more diverse entertainment options. My biggest concern would be crime. It appears lake activities favor Denver and Dallas. However, I will give Atlanta an edge for its proximity to Hilton Head, SC and maybe Panama City Beach, FL for a weekend or 3 day weekend getaway. Denver is nowhere near a beach and Galveston looks questionable in the case of Dallas.

None of these cities are as walkable as Pittsburgh based on the era they in which they boomed. However, I prefer walkable entertainment/restaurant/nightlife districts over basic needs such as a grocery store, pharmacy, and Post Office. I have a leased car so while it is nice to walk to a pharmacy, it isn't necessary. Of course I wouldn't want to drive 5 miles to a grocery store either. Walkable nightlife means I can explore a lot on foot without driving from club to club. Ãœber, Lyft, a taxi, or a bus can drop me off and pick me up.

It appears you are right about Atlanta in terms of job growth. I am not sure how it compares to Pittsburgh, but do agree Dallas/Fort Worth is booming right now. Dallas may not be as vibrant as Atlanta (unless someone tells me otherwise), but it has the jobs. It is difficult to decide. Thanks for your perspective on Atlanta

Old 12-21-2014, 02:43 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,061,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Promo videos? Really
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City