Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 03:59 PM

412 posts, read 545,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
It's getting somewhat overcrowded. I am more concerned about our infrastructure, especially in the Austin area. Not sure how long our traffic can manage with the roads we got.
I think it'd be good for TX cities to slow down. I'm not sure all growth is good growth, especially when you can't keep up very well in terms of infrastructure and/or housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 04:01 PM

105 posts, read 149,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
I think it'd be good for TX cities to slow down. I'm not sure all growth is good growth, especially when you can't keep up very well in terms of infrastructure and/or housing.
I agree with that. Texas has boomed so fast that it can't keep up with the infrastructure needs of the major cities. I was in Austin back in 2012 and just got back from there recently. I was amazed at how much it changed in just 2 years. Lovely city.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:20 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,323 times
Quote:
I agree as well, lets say if the bust does have a ripple affect on our economy. The supply & demand will still be in full swing in our other cities that doesn't rely on much on the O/G industry such as Austin, San Antonio, McAllen, Fort Worth, & El Paso in which will still be growing at a fast rate. While they still will be affected to a degree, but not severely like the Permian Basin, and Houston. Dallas is probably a wash since it's more in financing and not as much depended on O/G like it once was.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:59 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There are certainly people who still move out to California, but it's certainly not the norm now. There are hundreds of thousands more people who leave the state than who move there from within the USA. It's still a good state and I love visiting, but you can see from all the stats that the only reason the state isn't shedding overall population is mainly because of Mexican immigration. Not that it's a bad thing, just a much different form of growth compared to the past.
If these trends continue, California will evolve into a replicate of Texas on the Pacific.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:21 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
Believe I just read somewhere that there were more movies filmed in Atlanta in 2014 than LA. That's a huge blow to California, especially LA.
I wouldn't worry too much about that, Jerry Brown and Co. just tripled the state's TV and fill tax credits. On-location shoots will surge in 2015, and they've rebounded nicely without them: L.A. TV production surges in Q3 - L.A. Biz

Old 12-25-2014, 06:01 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
Believe I just read somewhere that there were more movies filmed in Atlanta in 2014 than LA. That's a huge blow to California, especially LA.
Nope, not really. California still leads in overall production. You've still got television production as well as smaller types like commercials and music videos, on top of movies. The major production studios in Los Angeles and California are still in working order and continue to help produce.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:03 PM

412 posts, read 545,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I agree as well, lets say if the bust does have a ripple affect on our economy. The supply & demand will still be in full swing in our other cities that doesn't rely on much on the O/G industry such as Austin, San Antonio, McAllen, Fort Worth, & El Paso in which will still be growing at a fast rate. While they still will be affected to a degree, but not severely like the Permian Basin, and Houston. Dallas is probably a wash since it's more in financing and not as much depended on O/G like it once was.
True. Houston is much more O&G dependent than I thought. A poster on the Houston forum posted a link that said 1 in 5 people were employed in the industry. However, the economy of Texas as a whole should be much more diverse than it was in the 80s.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:59 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
That's terrible logic. Growing pains are the product of growth--an economic decline means people will lose jobs, their homes etc.

From today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
Here in Houston, which proudly bills
itself as the energy capital of the
world, Hercules Offshore announced
it would lay off about 324 employees
who work on the company’s rigs in
the Gulf of Mexico at the end of the
month. Texas already lost 2,300 oil
and gas jobs from October to
November, according to preliminary,
seasonally adjusted data released last
week by the federal Bureau of Labor
Statistics. On the same day, Fitch
Ratings warned that home prices in
Texas “may be unsustainable” as the
price of oil continues to plummet...
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/27...html?referrer=

Old 12-26-2014, 01:03 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
And make no mistake, there is zero giddiness on my part at the thought of TX and other oil dependent states going through hard times as this could have ripple effects on the entire country.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:04 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Roughly 50% of Houston's economy is dependant on O&G. If it takes a dive, Houston will hurt. A LOT! For that reason I hope the lull in oil cost doesnt continue its trend.

Dallas on the other hand has an economy that is much more diverse. Its primary industries are logistics, finance, and IT (mainly programing). Its not an O&G city. Instead it feeds off of regional HQ's and corporate HQ's of a wide variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City