Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will or Has Phoenix Passed Philly in City Population?
Phoenix will eventually pass Philly in city population 64 58.72%
Phoenix has already passed Philly in city population 19 17.43%
No Philly will remain ahead of Phoenix in city population 15 13.76%
I'm not sure could swing either way 11 10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:13 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times

Advertisements

I prefer Phoenix because of this^. It's time to accept that urban is not a limited concept of cobblestone streets and rundown one bedroom apartments.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:12 PM

313 posts, read 337,014 times
]There are intangibles that older cities like Philadelphia have , like character and a strong feeling of identity , that only that city has developed over a long period . Boston and Philadelphia have generations of family history going back to the 1600 hundreds . I don't feel that in most cities outside of the north east .

Old 02-28-2015, 10:08 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
If Phoenix was the same area size of Philly, this thread wouldn't exist.

Population density profiles - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

Based on population profiles going out from the center, at every equal measurement, Philly is significantly more populated. If Phoenix passes Philly, it will only be because of much larger city boundaries.

Examples:
1 from the center total population.
Philly: 235,529
Phoenix: 43,565

5 miles from the center.
Philly: 1,144,411
Phoenix: 471,933

10 miles from the center.
Philly: 2,339,589
Phoenix: 1,330,988

Not even close.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:12 AM

275 posts, read 416,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I actually live out here in Phoenix. Planners are developing both urban and suburban styles of development throughout the metro. In Tempe and on Central Ave, you're seeing much more urban development. Light rail is being expanded to more areas. More outlying areas like Scottsdale are seeing a more suburban style. And both are good. There are people who want cars and people who want buses. People who like density and people who want space. And we should cater to both. Unfortunately, C-D only believes that urbanity is good, meaning that Phoenix can never be a "great" city like Philly. When I see people say things like "lack of vision" about Phoenix or any sunbelt city, then I know they haven't been there. The elitist idea that a city that doesn't emulate New York, SF, Philly, or Boston is inferior needs to go. Everyone doesn't want urbanity and everyone doesn't want suburbs. There needs to be a middle ground for both parties to be satisfied. There is no leg up for either Phoenix or Philly. People have their preferences and they are moving in high numbers to get what they want in Phoenix and Philly. Neither is better than the other. End of story.
I agree with this. My only issue is that if people want sprawling suburbs with lush lawns, maybe they shouldn't move to a desert where water is scarce.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:39 PM

8,619 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
I agree with this. My only issue is that if people want sprawling suburbs with lush lawns, maybe they shouldn't move to a desert where water is scarce.
How is Phoenix METRO any more sprawling than any other metro that sprawls in the country? I can think of quite a few metros that sprawl more than Phoenix. Furthermore, I see more yards with desert landscaping and xeriscaping than lush lawns. Also, the main demand for water in Arizona comes from agricultural use (about 70 percent).

Arizona

Old 02-28-2015, 03:15 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
How is Phoenix METRO any more sprawling than any other metro that sprawls in the country? I can think of quite a few metros that sprawl more than Phoenix. Furthermore, I see more yards with desert landscaping and xeriscaping than lush lawns. Also, the main demand for water in Arizona comes from agricultural use (about 70 percent).

Arizona
This is true in my experience too... Phoenix seemed to mostly have native landscaping.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:45 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Personally, I cannot stand threads like this (and the ones that came before it) because they tend bring out nastiness on both sides and I do not understand the need to bash other cities and throw out faulty assumptions about the other over, and over, and over again in countless threads. I cannot speak for Philadephians; however, I never hear other Phoenicians (outside of a few here on CD) boast about Phoenix surpassing Philadelphia in city population and I seriously doubt it's even on their minds. I also wish that the posters who do not live in the Phoenix area would stop acting as though they know more about the area, it's people, it's density, water issues, politics, nightlife, culture, etc. than the residents who actually live here. We know some of you hate the Phoenix area and would never want to live here, but do you really need to express this everytime Phoenix is brought up in a thread? Why can't people just agree that these metros are different from each other? Furthermore, what is the harm in that? Not every city needs to be a template for the next.
Exactly. Especially cities whose names have no business in this thread.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:10 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I actually live out here in Phoenix. Planners are developing both urban and suburban styles of development throughout the metro. In Tempe and on Central Ave, you're seeing much more urban development. Light rail is being expanded to more areas. More outlying areas like Scottsdale are seeing a more suburban style. And both are good. There are people who want cars and people who want buses. People who like density and people who want space. And we should cater to both. Unfortunately, C-D only believes that urbanity is good, meaning that Phoenix can never be a "great" city like Philly. When I see people say things like "lack of vision" about Phoenix or any sunbelt city, then I know they haven't been there. The elitist idea that a city that doesn't emulate New York, SF, Philly, or Boston is inferior needs to go. Everyone doesn't want urbanity and everyone doesn't want suburbs. There needs to be a middle ground for both parties to be satisfied. There is no leg up for either Phoenix or Philly. People have their preferences and they are moving in high numbers to get what they want in Phoenix and Philly. Neither is better than the other. End of story.
This is a good post. I know people here in Phoenix that would love to move to some place like Philly or NYC or Chicago, but the big trend is people moving from said cities to Phoenix. People have their preferences, and there's really no comparing Phoenix to Philly, its apples to oranges. Both cities have their good aspects and bad. All cities in the world can lay claim to this, too.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:13 PM

27 posts, read 48,055 times
Phoenix will surpass Philly but it's no big deal. Philadelphia's rebirth has taken hold and the city is being transformed. It's going to be great...but just with fewer people than sunny Phoenix.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:30 AM

53 posts, read 91,808 times
if the drought keeps up, ppl will be dropping phoenix by the carload.
philly ftw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City