Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will or Has Phoenix Passed Philly in City Population?
Phoenix will eventually pass Philly in city population 64 58.72%
Phoenix has already passed Philly in city population 19 17.43%
No Philly will remain ahead of Phoenix in city population 15 13.76%
I'm not sure could swing either way 11 10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:38 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Your statement is totally out of context and I do not "need to understand" anything. I've never said such a thing so please take your assumptions elsewhere. Geez, what is wrong with some of you posters?
What you also need to understand is critiquing a that city doesn't automatically mean it's bashing, so don't get so bent out of shape about it. Believe it or not, I'm actually trying to help you. You don't have to live a city your entire life to understand it. I've been to Phoenix numerous times and I pretty much have a great scope of what the city has to offer.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:43 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
There are clearly some from Philly that are threatened by Phoenix.
Meanwhile, Atlanta doesn't even have the largest population within 500 miles of itself. Jacksonville, Charlotte, Memphis, Nashville, Baltimore and Virginia Beach all have more people. I guess that makes them more important and desirable than Atlanta, no?

For that matter, if Atlanta could be magically relocated to Arizona right now, it'd be the fourth-largest city there, behind Phoenix, Tucson and Mesa. Of all people who ought to know that city limits don't mean ****, it should be people from Atlanta.

The moment Phoenix passes Philadelphia in population, people there can break out the champagne and celebrate like people in Indianapolis did when their city passed Boston in population.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:48 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Public transportation(subway, light rail) is cool and comes in handy when one is going to a sporting event or is doing some barhopping but other than that it's very unappealing. I'd rather be in my own private space listening to XM radio, Pandora or an audiobook and enjoy the freedom to go where I want, when I want. Relying on public transportation exposes one to nasty viruses, sketchy people and criminals, no thank you. Living as an adult depending on mass transit is no way to go through life, even if you live in Manhattan or San Francisco.

The Phoenix lifestyle is so much more appealing than the Philly lifestyle. In Phoenix you can enjoy a nice large house with a backyard where you can have a pool, barbecue grill, a vegetable garden and some citrus trees. You can be self-sufficient and entertain your friends and family but if you live in Philly you're more than likely dependent on public transportation and live in a high-rise apartment packed in like sardines.
Your thoughts on Public transit show how old you are lol. It's a very 50s and 60s way of thinking. Millennials are preferring the car-free, public transit oriented urban lifestyles.

Saying the Phoenix lifestyle is more appealing is again, an opinion. Most are actually preferring the urban lifestyles now adays.

You can also have the lifestyle you describe in Philadelphia's suburbs. You know that right? This lifestyle is not at all unique to Phoenix. In Philadelphia suburbs you can have a large house with a backyard and pool, barbecue grill, vegetable garden, etc.

Boy would you look at this? Who would've thunk?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...f514d88c3e58c1

In Philly you can live in a highrise if you prefer that, correct.

Man, look how terrible this life is.
Groundbreaking Thursday for 'ultra-luxury' 500 Walnut condo tower
Philadelphia Rentals, Philadelphia Apartments For Rent | 2116 Chestnut

You can also live in a midrise
New, Luxury Apartments Philadelphia, PA | The Granary Luxury Apartments
SouthStar Lofts Luxury Apartments

You can live in a rowhome, duplex, triplex, semi-detatched, detached, urban, suburban, etc. etc. etc. There is every type of living style imaginable in the Philadelphia area.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:55 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Houston has a larger city population than Philadelphia, yet most would consider Philadelphia to be the superior city.

Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, San Jose, Austin, Indianapolis, Jacksonville all have a larger city population than San Francisco. However, most would consider San Fran the superior city.

^^
All of those cities plus Columbus, Charlotte, Fort Worth, Detroit, El Paso, Memphis, Seattle, Denver have larger city populations than Washington DC and Boston. Yet, you know where this is going.

City population is pretty pointless.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:58 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What you also need to understand is critiquing a that city doesn't automatically mean it's bashing, so don't get so bent out of shape about it. Believe it or not, I'm actually trying to help you. You don't have to live a city your entire life to understand it. I've been to Phoenix numerous times and I pretty much have a great scope of what the city has to offer.
Again, I do not "need to understand" anything that you are telling me. You are directing your comments to me specifically when it's not applicable and futhermore, I do not "need" your help.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Considering Philly still has fewer people than it did in 1995, I wouldn't call it "booming".

well said. "cities" like Phoenix show what low expectation people might have for their quality of life. even when being part of the richest nation in the world.
People could say the same thing about Philadelphia's horrible public schools, poverty and high crime.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:03 PM

273 posts, read 349,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Your thoughts on Public transit show how old you are lol. It's a very 50s and 60s way of thinking. Millennials are preferring the car-free, public transit oriented urban lifestyles.

Saying the Phoenix lifestyle is more appealing is again, an opinion. Most are actually preferring the urban lifestyles now adays.

You can also have the lifestyle you describe in Philadelphia's suburbs. You know that right? This lifestyle is not at all unique to Phoenix. In Philadelphia suburbs you can have a large house with a backyard and pool, barbecue grill, vegetable garden, etc.

Boy would you look at this? Who would've thunk?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...f514d88c3e58c1

In Philly you can live in a highrise if you prefer that, correct.

Man, look how terrible this life is.
Groundbreaking Thursday for 'ultra-luxury' 500 Walnut condo tower
Philadelphia Rentals, Philadelphia Apartments For Rent | 2116 Chestnut

You can also live in a midrise
New, Luxury Apartments Philadelphia, PA | The Granary Luxury Apartments
SouthStar Lofts Luxury Apartments

You can live in a rowhome, duplex, triplex, semi-detatched, detached, urban, suburban, etc. etc. etc. There is every type of living style imaginable in the Philadelphia area.
Dude, you don't even know me. I wasn't around in the 50s or 60s or even 70s for that matter; I'm a Gen Xer born in 1980 A lot of millennials are in tough financial shape due to student loan debt and the great recession. I'm sure many millennial's would love to own their own house or car but they simply can't due to financial reasons. I'm sure a lot of millennial's have convinced themselves that they prefer to walk, rely on mass transit or rent but deep down they would rather be homeowners and have an automobile, this is just human nature.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:07 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Oh my. Thread closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City