Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city of the American Revolution do you think our Founding Fathers would be most proud of
Boston 20 23.26%
Philadelphia 12 13.95%
Yorktown/Williamsburg/Norfolk 2 2.33%
New York City 41 47.67%
Charleston, SC 7 8.14%
Baltimore 4 4.65%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:21 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times

Advertisements

I think New York City would be the most impressive city to take them to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 11:28 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
I think NYC would blow their minds

The fact the country on the whole grew and became so important would be the true picture. Maybe them seeing a LA or Bay area would blow their minds the most as they would not have even been able to comprehend that 35 million Americans live on the other coast in a place called CA

Old 01-27-2015, 11:30 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Why? Because slavery was abolished and women were given the right to vote?
Of course the Founders would be ashamed of this. They set the country up with those abomination and many others.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:41 PM

251 posts, read 307,468 times
NYC would be the clear winner here and Id say Philly and Boston with equal appeal after that.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:08 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
They would be amazed at NYC and Philadelphia, but would probably by most comfortable in College Towns.

Sam Adams would probably pretty be happy that he is commemorated by fairly decent beer.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:26 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARS View Post
After watching the series, Sons of Liberty, the past few nights I've been on a history itch. I live in Philadelphia, and often think what it would be like to bring Ben Franklin back to our present city which he most certainly influenced and see what he thinks. I think it would be great to take all of the founding fathers on a tour of each of these cities and see what their impression was.

My choice would be Boston. It was the heart of the revolution, and today stands as one our nation's most forefront cities leading in education and healthcare. It is a very educated city and continues to grow rapidly but remains true to its roots.

What do you think? If you were to take all the founding fathers for a trip to these cities, what would they think?
They would probably be shocked and horrified at what the entire country has become. I could quote Franklin and the others but let's no go there right now. They'd probably break down and cry and stage a massive coup which might I add should've happened over 100 years ago.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:43 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Let's be honest, the Founding Fathers would want to visit Las Vegas for some adult fun, with a side trip to Miami Beach!

Old 01-27-2015, 03:49 PM

39 posts, read 40,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Of course the Founders would be ashamed of this. They set the country up with those abomination and many others.
I would be careful what I say if I were you. Many don't realize it, but the Founding Fathers were largely against slavery & didn't want it in our Constitution. The only reason it made its way in was because NC, SC, & GA said they would secede if it wasn't in the Constitution. Although women's rights were a different issue, it has been said that Dolly Madison asked James Madison to fight for women's rights during the Constitutional Convention, although he gained some support, it wasn't wide enough to be out into the Constitution. You all have to remember that this was the time of the Enlightenment, the educated men of this time were very very liberal & open minded

Old 01-27-2015, 04:47 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyG1996 View Post
I would be careful what I say if I were you. Many don't realize it, but the Founding Fathers were largely against slavery & didn't want it in our Constitution. The only reason it made its way in was because NC, SC, & GA said they would secede if it wasn't in the Constitution. Although women's rights were a different issue, it has been said that Dolly Madison asked James Madison to fight for women's rights during the Constitutional Convention, although he gained some support, it wasn't wide enough to be out into the Constitution. You all have to remember that this was the time of the Enlightenment, the educated men of this time were very very liberal & open minded
Obviously not open minded enough.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:02 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyG1996 View Post
They were not "very very liberal." They were not even remotely liberal. There were anti-miscegenation laws in full affect throughout the late 1800s in northern states and into the mid-1900s in Southern states. Quotes from Lincoln, Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson among others would be enough to end their careers in the vile freak show this country's become today. While northern leaders generally were more liberal than Southerners they were hardly what anybody could honestly call "liberal" when they were further right than most of the right is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City