Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More big city feel?
Seattle 21 29.58%
DC 50 70.42%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:04 PM

29,895 posts, read 18,733,701 times

Advertisements

Having lived in both, I prefer Seattle for being incredibly clean, safe, beautiful and it has several very cool neighborhoods to choose from to match your preference. DC has some sketchy areas and though the murder rate has gone way down, it's still got a murder rate 4 times higher than Seattle.

However, if I were starting my career out, I would probably go with DC as the economic situation there is fantastic and seems impervious to recession. I also really enjoy the DC Metro. I actually lived in Arlington, VA which was very nice.

About the climate, I prefer Seattle for great summers even though winter sux, DC has humid summers and colder winters.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:52 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,350,282 times
I'd go with Seattle. Parts of DC can have that superior big city, and the subway system helps with that, but Downtown Seattle is way better and Seattle still has decent public transit. I like the people better in Seattle, too.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:15 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,337,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'd go with Seattle. Parts of DC can have that superior big city, and the subway system helps with that, but Downtown Seattle is way better and Seattle still has decent public transit. I like the people better in Seattle, too.
Downtown Seattle is not WAY better than DC's. It's a tier above it but you're acting like as if its in the same tier with NYC. DC's downtown has changed a lot, it's not like how it was in 2003. Although, we're talking about heavy rail which Seattle lacks. A good bus system doesn't give a big city feel at all.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:35 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,645,848 times
DC by far. Seattle does give you that urban feel as well, but DC's stretches over a wider area. Even the suburbs have multiple urban areas.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:05 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,046 posts, read 7,431,583 times
Downtown Seattle is tiny compared to Downtown Washington, once outside the skyscrapers area that "big city feel" falls of...DC without skyscrapers Downtown goes on and radiates out much more.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post

Downtown Seattle is tiny compared to Downtown Washington, once outside the skyscrapers area that "big city feel" falls of...DC without skyscrapers Downtown goes on and radiates out much more.
Attached Thumbnails
Better for big city lifestyle (DC or Seattle)-downtown-seattle.jpg   Better for big city lifestyle (DC or Seattle)-washington-dc-view.jpg   Better for big city lifestyle (DC or Seattle)-dc-above.jpg  

Old 01-31-2015, 02:57 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,813,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Why did you use old pictures of seattle ? Notice no big wheel on waterfront or buildings in belltown or capitol hill have few buildings lol

Old 01-31-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Why did you use old pictures of seattle ? Notice no big wheel on waterfront or buildings in belltown or capitol hill have few buildings lol
The pictures of DC are actually old(like decades)...The pic from Seattle is actually google Earth from 2012 and much newer than the DC pics, it doesn't change the fact that Seattle's downtown is actually smaller than DC's even with the skyscrapers and ferris wheel, i'm wondering to figure if Baltimore's downtown is probably at least as large if not larger than Seattle's also in terms of radius.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:10 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,843,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The pictures of DC are actually old(like decades)...The pic from Seattle is actually google Earth from 2012 and much newer than the DC pics, it doesn't change the fact that Seattle's downtown is actually smaller than DC's even with the skyscrapers and ferris wheel, i'm wondering to figure if Baltimore's downtown is probably at least as large if not larger than Seattle's also in terms of radius.
Yes, Seattle's Downtown is small geographically compared to what you guys very generously consider Downtown D.C. to be.

Downtown Seattle is constrained by I-5, Elliott Bay, and the Stadiums and rail yards.

The bottom line is though that in considering the actual cores of each, Downtown Seattle blows D.C. totally out of the water. There is no comparison, and anyone that's been to both can confirm this if they're being honest.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:34 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,190,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Downtown Seattle is not WAY better than DC's. It's a tier above it but you're acting like as if its in the same tier with NYC. DC's downtown has changed a lot, it's not like how it was in 2003. Although, we're talking about heavy rail which Seattle lacks. A good bus system doesn't give a big city feel at all.
Downtown Seattle is not like it was in 2003 either. I lived in both. Still have property in DC and go there at least twice a year. Tiers has absolutely nothing to do as to with which one is better. To me downtown Seattle has everything at your feet or steps away. It has a major waterfront withe the 4th largest ferry system in the world. It has the largest Market in the United States that sells everything from fresh fish and produce to soaps, flowers and art. Does downtown DC even have a market or a waterfront? It's symphony hall is dt. It's major shopping puts dt DC's to shame. Apts and condos will be found on every st in dt Seattle from Pioneer Square to South Lake Union. Mariner and Seahawks are dt. To me it feels more like a live, work and play dt. DC's downtown is big but that doesn't necessarily make it better.
Also beyond dt I love Seattle being sandwiched between two bodies of water. It's neighborhoods are pretty dense and walkable. Though it lacks a subway, I lived in Seattle carless for years and had absolutely no problem getting around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City