Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to raise a family and have a great time?
Tennessee 74 39.78%
North Carolina 81 43.55%
South Carolina 31 16.67%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:16 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Meh, NC is kind of a combination of SC and TN.
North Carolina is more similar to Virginia and Georgia, but that's only my opinion. Of course you can draw similarities between NC and SC/TN, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 08:30 AM

730 posts, read 813,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Why wouldn't you prefer living in NC if you don't mind me asking?

For the most part, I definitely agree. The Greensboro/Winston-Salem area is flying under the radar compared to Charlotte and RDU. There are plenty of retirees settling all over North Carolina, but all the transplants seem to be hitting Charlotte/RDU. Most of rural NC isn't too different from rural TN. Nashville belongs in the same neighborhood as Charlotte and RDU, and I'm hoping Knoxville will catch up in the future. I don't know the story in Memphis, but apparently it's more "Old South" like New Orleans or Birmingham?
Money talks. I'd much rather live in a lower taxed state than a higher taxed state, particularly since there doesn't appear to be much reason for NC's higher taxes; its K-12 schools aren't any better than TN's, its roads and infrastructure certainly aren't any better, and its economy, outside of Charlotte and RDU, isn't any better, either (and Nashville added more jobs last year than either Charlotte or RDU). Plus, I happen to like Tennessee's cities better than North Carolina's cities, although I really do like Winston Salem and am not a big fan of Knoxville. Don't get me wrong, I would be very happy to live in NC. But given a choice, I'd rather live in TN.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:41 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
For K-12 schooling, NC is no better than TN. Both states give the ACT to all high school students, and TN has a higher composite score than NC. 2014 ACT National and State Scores | Average Scores by State | ACT Tennessee students also did better on the SAT than did students in North Carolina. SAT Scores | By State Map

North Carolina undoubtedly has better public universities than Tennessee, but they're not cheap. Graduates of TN high schools can now get free tuition at any state community college and almost-free tuition at state universities thanks to the state lottery. They can also use their lottery scholarships to attend private universities within the state such as Vanderbilt.

As far as taxes go, when all the various state and local taxes are added together, Tax Foundation ranks Tennessee 45th in the country for taxes, meaning only 5 states have lower tax burdens than TN. North Carolina is ranked 17th.

The economy in rural NC is no better than it is in rural TN, either. In TN, about half of the state's job growth is in the Nashville area. In NC, it's pretty much divided between Charlotte and RDU. All three of those areas are powerhouses these days in job growth. But outside of those three areas, there's not a whole lot of economic activity going on in either state, especially outside of the larger metro areas (Knoxville, Chattanooga, Greensboro-Winston Salem, Asheville).

I own property in both states. I love the Outer Banks of NC and prefer the NC side of the Appalachians but would choose to live and raise a family in TN.
Tennessee ranked lower in many other test scores than North Carolina, according to the National Education Association state comparison data and Alec.

http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/NEA-R...-2013-2014.pdf

Report Card on American Education - State Education Rankings

NAEP State Comparisons.net

In addition, North Carolina does more with much less, as their teachers are paid near the bottom of states in salary rankings. So no Tennessee has a ways to go before you make the claim that public education is better. And as far as taxes go, Tennessee has one of the highest sales tax in the nation despite having no state income tax and low property taxes. This means that poorer people are paying more of their disposable income on everyday items such as groceries, automobiles, gas, and clothing. This also means that the state depends on tourism (outside money) and sales tax to fund infrastructure needs. During an economic recession, this could be devastating, especially for poor residents. Jobs and retail growth is leaking into other states with lower taxes (Desoto County, MS, suburb of Memphis), (Catoosa County, GA, suburb of Chattanooga), (Bristol VA, competing city with Bristol, TN), (Oak Grove & Hopkinsville, KY, suburbs of Clarksville, TN).

I'm also torn on the free college thing in Tennessee because this will undoubtedly have a negative affect on private colleges and universities that are already losing students to the big state schools. I am glad that more people will be allowed the opportunity to go to school, but not at the expense of other institutions.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:59 PM

730 posts, read 813,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Tennessee ranked lower in many other test scores than North Carolina, according to the National Education Association state comparison data and Alec.

http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/NEA-R...-2013-2014.pdf

Report Card on American Education - State Education Rankings

NAEP State Comparisons.net

In addition, North Carolina does more with much less, as their teachers are paid near the bottom of states in salary rankings. So no Tennessee has a ways to go before you make the claim that public education is better. And as far as taxes go, Tennessee has one of the highest sales tax in the nation despite having no state income tax and low property taxes. This means that poorer people are paying more of their disposable income on everyday items such as groceries, automobiles, gas, and clothing. This also means that the state depends on tourism (outside money) and sales tax to fund infrastructure needs. During an economic recession, this could be devastating, especially for poor residents. Jobs and retail growth is leaking into other states with lower taxes (Desoto County, MS, suburb of Memphis), (Catoosa County, GA, suburb of Chattanooga), (Bristol VA, competing city with Bristol, TN), (Oak Grove & Hopkinsville, KY, suburbs of Clarksville, TN).

I'm also torn on the free college thing in Tennessee because this will undoubtedly have a negative affect on private colleges and universities that are already losing students to the big state schools. I am glad that more people will be allowed the opportunity to go to school, but not at the expense of other institutions.
Those links you provided prove nothing other than Tennessee and North Carolina are very similar in what they spend on K-12 education. The last link, in particular, is of little use since NC isn't included in the NAEP 2013 results. Besides, I never said that TN's schools are better than NC's, only that NC's schools aren't better than TN's. If anything, they're probably pretty even, particularly considering that 10% of Tennessee's kids are in that war zone called Memphis schools. And considering that NC taxes its residents more than TN does, I don't see much of a return on the investment.

Where NC really outshines TN is in its colleges and universities. NC's three big universities (UNC Chapel Hill, NC State, and UNC Charlotte) are light years better than TN's three big universities (UT Knoxville, MTSU, and Memphis). NC also has excellent schools in Eastern Carolina and UNC School of the Arts. TN has nothing even remotely close to UNCSA. And while Tennessee has a very prestigious private university in Vanderbilt, North Carolina has Duke AND Wake Forest.

But, again, money talks. If I were concerned with raising a family in either TN or NC, it would be hard to pass up TN's lottery scholarships and lower taxes.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:19 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Those links you provided prove nothing other than Tennessee and North Carolina are very similar in what they spend on K-12 education. The last link, in particular, is of little use since NC isn't included in the NAEP 2013 results. Besides, I never said that TN's schools are better than NC's, only that NC's schools aren't better than TN's. If anything, they're probably pretty even, particularly considering that 10% of Tennessee's kids are in that war zone called Memphis schools. And considering that NC taxes its residents more than TN does, I don't see much of a return on the investment.

Where NC really outshines TN is in its colleges and universities. NC's three big universities (UNC Chapel Hill, NC State, and UNC Charlotte) are light years better than TN's three big universities (UT Knoxville, MTSU, and Memphis). NC also has excellent schools in Eastern Carolina and UNC School of the Arts. TN has nothing even remotely close to UNCSA. And while Tennessee has a very prestigious private university in Vanderbilt, North Carolina has Duke AND Wake Forest.

But, again, money talks. If I were concerned with raising a family in either TN or NC, it would be hard to pass up TN's lottery scholarships and lower taxes.
The higher taxes in NC are directly related to its public university/community college system which has resulted in the state having a more skilled, educated workforce than either TN or SC.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:19 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times
Why wasn't Virginia included in this thread/poll? But since asked a question, I'll answer. South Carolina gets my vote, and in particular Columbia, Greenville or Charleston.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The higher taxes in NC are directly related to its public university/community college system which has resulted in the state having a more skilled, educated workforce than either TN or SC.
Thank you!

Old 02-08-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:

They are not light years better than those universities, again you provide no facts, just talk. You have no statistical evidence to prove this, and you also conveniently left out Tennessee's prestigious HBCU's, particularly Meharry Medical College which North Carolina does not have an equivalent. I already conceded that North Carolina's colleges were generally better in other posts, especially Duke. If you knew anything about the universities in Tennessee and North Carolina, you would actually know that are actually partners in several engineering, math, and science grants for government research. For example, UT Knoxville and North Carolina State University are part of the Southeastern Partnership for Integrated Biomass Supply Systems (IBSS), which focuses on developing regional systems for the sustainable production of bioenergy and biobased products. North Carolina actually spends less (not significantly less) per pupil on education, while being significantly larger, and still outranks Tennessee in K-12 performance indicators. You still do not understand how taxes work, only that you have to pay more to keep your "properties" in North Carolina.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:15 PM

413 posts, read 437,468 times
Probably NC although Its probably more expensive on average then either Tennessee or South Carolina all states are seeing high amounts of growth NC the most though.......I went to Cary not to long ago and I see where it gets its nickname not easy to find a native.......that is somewhat of true of the rest of the Triangle and Charlotte as well.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:15 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXboi View Post
Probably NC although Its probably more expensive on average then either Tennessee or South Carolina all states are seeing high amounts of growth NC the most though.......I went to Cary not to long ago and I see where it gets its nickname not easy to find a native.......that is somewhat of true of the rest of the Triangle and Charlotte as well.
Nashville is clogged with transplants, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same situation with Knoxville later down the road. In SC, Charleston and the Upstate are growing while the SC coast is even more popular than the NC coast for northern retirees. People can point fingers at the Research Triangle and Charlotte metros in NC and say "we've lost southern roots" but it'll only be a matter of time before it happens to other portions of the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City