Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will be the primary megaregion of the US in 2050?
Boswash 161 63.89%
SanSan 19 7.54%
Texas Triangle 35 13.89%
Great Lakes 16 6.35%
Other 21 8.33%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:22 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
i don't really think that San to San will ever be a mega region. there is way too much distance between San Francisco & LA with too few cities in between
AND a very large environmentally-protected area, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 08:23 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,849,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Why is having such a large population number a big deal?
It makes life a nightmare. Driving home from work last night made me wish I lived in a less populated city.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Great Lakes megalopolis is technically the most populous of them all, but also the far and away most spread out and land consuming of them all.

Also, it's population is stagnant (slow growth) in some places or declining (save for Toronto; which is booming). So it is not like it's population is going anywhere anytime in the near 30 - 50 years.
I wouldn't be so sure. It is, after all, where the world's largest fresh water supply exists...Besides, trends change all of the time. In the 1990's city development was pretty much a non-starter -- the suburbs was where the action was. Today, just about every single city with an urban core is seeing growth/rebirth.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I've never really given any weight to the idea of the "Great Lakes" mega-region. It's essentially every major Midwestern city, even if they're hundreds of miles away from the Great Lakes. If a city as far away as Kansas City can be included, just call the mega-region the Midwest.
I tend to agree. The truer "megaregion" is Chi-Pitts, which actually also includes Milwaukee and arguably up to Green Bay, then through the I-80/90 super corridor in northern Indiana and southern Michigan (incl. Detroit/Windsor) to Cleveland/Akron/Canton, Youngstown/Warren, and then finally to Pittsburgh. The Twin Cities, St. Louis, and KC aren't really a part of this corridor since there is so much empty space between them all. I am most familiar with TC-Chicago corridor and it's quite populated from Chicago to Madison and From the Twin Cities to Eau Claire, but then there's a "no man's land" that goes through the Driftless area of Wisconsin where there's really not many cities over 10,000 people for about 100 miles. I know there's a similar gap from St. Louis to Chicago in a part of Illinois, and also from St. Louis to KC. All 3 cities are fairly separated from megaregions (for better or worse).

I'd also argue that Cincy, Indy and Columbus wouldn't be part of Chi-Pitts either, even though it's not a big stretch to include those cities. Cincy/Dayton is almost continuous, and since Springfield, OH exists right between C-bus and Cincy it kind of fuses all of those cities together as part of a "minor-region", but I'm not sure that region is connected to northern OH/IN and southern MI. It's close. You'd also have to throw Louisville in the mix, but then I think you would have two separate Midwest "megaregions":

-Indy-Pitts (or Cle-Indy or Louis-Pitts) as the Lower Midwest megaregion
-Chi-Pitts (or GB-Pitts) as the Great Lakes or Upper Midwest megaregion

But I don't think the two are interconnected enough to be considered one true megaregion (even if VERY loosely defined).

At the end of the day the only "true" megaregion in America is Bos-Wash, and when compared to other megaregions around the world even it is somewhat incohesive (isn't that a word, spell-checker?).

Old 02-10-2015, 01:32 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,512,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
AND a very large environmentally-protected area, no?
there is a lot of protected area, which is why HSR was so hard to get approved. Imagine trying to build suburbs or cities in between, there would be ever more push back from Californian. San to San will never happen. But SoCal & the Bay will become their own mega regions in my opinion

Old 02-10-2015, 01:45 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,235 times
Quote:
there is a lot of protected area, which is why HSR was so hard to get approved. Imagine trying to build suburbs or cities in between, there would be ever more push back from Californian. San to San will never happen. But SoCal & the Bay will become their own mega regions in my opinion
That's totally fine. Let's continue to promote growth within our urban areas, and limit growth in exurban and rural areas that will infringe upon the wilderness. There is plenty of room for upward growth in OC, SD, Riverside, LA, Sacramento, San Jose etc. We just need to convince developers that luxury condos/apartments aren't the only housing type worth building. -_-

Old 02-10-2015, 04:41 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,512,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
That's totally fine. Let's continue to promote growth within our urban areas, and limit growth in exurban and rural areas that will infringe upon the wilderness. There is plenty of room for upward growth in OC, SD, Riverside, LA, Sacramento, San Jose etc. We just need to convince developers that luxury condos/apartments aren't the only housing type worth building. -_-
You can't get mad at developers for wanting to build luxury only buildings since they make the most money off of those buildings. I actually think it is better not to build 100% low income buildings. Developers should have a certain amount of units in each building they have to set aside for low income, this will break up the low income population, decrease crime, & improve schools

Old 02-10-2015, 04:58 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,235 times
Quote:
You can't get mad at developers for wanting to build luxury only buildings since they make the most money off of those buildings. I actually think it is better not to build 100% low income buildings. Developers should have a certain amount of units in each building they have to set aside for low income, this will break up the low income population, decrease crime, & improve schools
I understand the economics, and I also agree with you. At this point though, there is little to no units allotted to low income folks. So, while there is housing being built there is hardly any at the lower (or even mid range) of the spectrum. We can't expect developers to do it of their own accord, there has to be policies in place that promotes such behavior.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:11 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times
Raleigh to Atlanta.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:22 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,566,637 times
what metros would be included in bos angeles ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City