Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather visit?
Mexico City 46 62.16%
Quebec City 28 37.84%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 03:24 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times

Advertisements

Mexico City
Quebec City

Probably polar opposites in every single way possible but both are cities that Americans can visit. One is one of the largest cities on Earth, the other is a small blip on the radar in terms of size but more than likely has quite a lot going for it.

Which one intrigues you more as a place you would consider visiting? Stuff you would do in either? What you're most looking forward to? I'll let you fill in the blanks, give your reasoning, things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 03:35 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,351 times
MEXICO CITY is one of the world's largest megalopolis, a gigantic city built on top of the ruins of an ancient aztec city that can still be explored when you go underground.

the capital of one of the countries with the best gastronomy in the world and one of the most characteristic and unique cultures on the planet.

a city of 20 million people with areas as modern as NYC, areas as old as the pyramids of tehotihuacan north of the city, and plenty of local color and folclor and so on.

Quebec city is a charming town with an old french colonial center, but it's a town nevertheless.... mexico city blows quebec city off the water!!!

quebec city could easily fit in a neighborhood of mexico city!

it's like comparing visiting paris versus the pretty town of Auxerre 2 hours away!!

Old 02-10-2015, 03:39 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Lol....

If someone answers Quebec City it better be because they already visited Mexico City

Old 02-10-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Lol....

If someone answers Quebec City it better be because they already visited Mexico City
that, or it's one of those ignorant Americans that think mexico city is like tijuana and dislike mexicans because of illegal immigration.

honestly comparing mexico city with a town like quebec city is like saying, which city is more interesting.... new york city or toledo ohio!

Old 02-10-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
quebec city could easily fit in a neighborhood of mexico city!
Probably.

Though that doesn't deter people from wanting to visit a place. Quebec City is probably the most Euro city in North America, quite possibly by a very large margin, as far as I know and it's a very romantic city. While I'm not into that sort of thing, I do personally know a lot of people who are and Quebec City would be right up their alley in terms of interest.

I would imagine most people are like this. These two cities are so different that people would ideally want to see one, and not care much for the other, unless they just have a knack for wanting to see everything, then both are required (I would fit into this camp).

Old 02-10-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Probably.

Though that doesn't deter people from wanting to visit a place. Quebec City is probably the most Euro city in North America, quite possibly by a very large margin, as far as I know and it's a very romantic city. While I'm not into that sort of thing, I do personally know a lot of people who are and Quebec City would be right up their alley in terms of interest.

I would imagine most people are like this. These two cities are so different that people would ideally want to see one, and not care much for the other, unless they just have a knack for wanting to see everything, then both are required (I would fit into this camp).
i live in Europe so to go to north America to see a city that strives to look as european as possible is not interesting to me.

I have european at my doorstep, no need to go look for an imitation of it on the other side of the world

at least in my personal opinion

Old 02-10-2015, 03:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
I've been to Mexico City no fewer than a dozen times. I've never been to Quebec City.

I also live in Texas in a metro area where 1/3 of the people are Hispanic and 80% of those are Mexican. Mexican culture is everywhere around me, French Canadian not so much.

So Quebec City for me.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
i live in Europe so to go to north America to see a city that strives to look as european as possible is not interesting to me.

I have european at my doorstep, no need to go look for an imitation of it on the other side of the world

at least in my personal opinion
I don't believe Quebec City is an imitation of anywhere in Europe. I just meant that it's structuring is more European, meaning the way you travel or get around in that city would be more akin to the way you get around or see things in most European cities.

Quebec City is culturally Quebecois, it is it's own breed of culture and city. A beautiful one at that.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:38 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
My husband travels to Mexico City for business every few months. While I'm not as terrified as when he goes to Juarez or Monterrey I'm very aware of the dangers. I do not understand it as a destination of choice at this particular time especially if you are taking children. Crime has actually picked up especially kidnappings. Sure someone will argue but this is from someone who was there within the last few months so I'm going with his knowledge. Also, living in San Antonio I've got plenty of Mexican flavor right at home.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:12 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,467 times
Mexico City is the place that intrigues me more. In aerial pictures, the city seems to stretch forever. At street-level, it strikes me as a city with a lot of energy and a place where you could spend days exploring one neighborhood after another. It might be a bit overwhelming, and Mexico City has a reputation for crime, but the city looks fascinating. Also in the back of my mind is the fact that this was the go-to place for the Beat writers of the 1950s, who went there because of the city's "anything goes" reputation. They found that it lived up to that bill. There are tours of their haunts, which I might want to check out. I definitely would like to go on an architecture tour - the mix of building styles there is another thing that intrigues me.

That's not to say that I'm not interested in Quebec City. I've been to Montreal, and it's one of my favorite cities. I'd like to head further north along the St. Lawrence River one of these days to see Quebec City as well. I feel like I know pretty much what to expect with Quebec City, though, whereas Mexico City would be more of an adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City