Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better shopping options?
Atlanta proper 17 68.00%
DC proper 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 01:18 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,875,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't think anybody is arguing that Atlanta doesn't have great shopping. The problem is, it's the equivalent of online shopping. There is no experience. You just go buy your clothes and leave at Lenox or Phipps Plaza. Maybe, stop and get some frozen yogurt or ice cream at the food court.

Now, as for the Streets of Buckhead Atlanta, my argument had more to do with the substance of a shopping experience. Shopping in Buckhead Atlanta is like shopping in Scottsdale Phoenix. It's not in a real city. If you don't understand what I mean by that, I don't really know how much clearer I can make it. If the Streets of Buckhead Atlanta had been built in downtown Atlanta on top of one of those surface parking lots for MARTA on the first floor of buildings with apartments/condos/hotels/office above them, then we would be talking.
It's pretty clear you don't understand what Buckhead Atlanta actually is. If this had been built in D.C., you would be signing its praises even more than you do for CityCentre.

Last edited by JMT; 02-16-2015 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 01:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 15,664,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It's pretty clear you don't understand what Buckhead Atlanta actually is. If this had been built in D.C., you would be signing its praises even more than you do for CityCentre.

What are you talking about? They will include the exact same stores. The problem isn't Streets of Buckhead Atlanta, it's where it's located. If you think I would not be saying the same thing if something was built in an area that looks as suburban as Buckhead Atlanta here in D.C., then you don't know me very well at all. Any of the posters on here could tell you that. It would be impossible to built anything here in D.C. in an area like Buckhead Atlanta though because we don't have any area's in the city that are zoned for commercial use that look like that to begin with.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? They will include the exact same stores. The problem isn't Streets of Buckhead Atlanta, it's where it's located. If you think I would not be saying the same thing if something was built in an area that looks as suburban as Buckhead Atlanta here in D.C., then you don't know me very well at all. Any of the posters on here could tell you that. It would be a hard for something to be built here in D.C. in an area like Buckhead Atlanta though because we don't have any area's in the city that are zoned for commercial use that look like that to begin with.
You have clearly never been to Buckhead if you repeatedly claim the area around Buckhead Atlanta is 'suburban.'

Eight square blocks of existing buildings were torn down to build Buckhead Atlanta. It wasn't suburban then, and it certainly isn't now.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:46 PM

Here is the comparison's so people can get an accurate comparison for these two developments.

Streets of Buckhead Atlanta (+800,000 sq. feet)

-100,000 sq. feet of office
-300,000 sq. feet of retail
-400,000 sq. feet of residential

City Center D.C. (2,500,000 sq. feet)

-1,135,000 sq. feet of office space
-686 residential units
-325,000 sq. feet of retail
-350 hotel rooms

Old 02-16-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Here is the comparison's so people can get an accurate comparison for these two developments.

Streets of Buckhead Atlanta (+800,000 sq. feet)

-100,000 sq. feet of office
-300,000 sq. feet of retail
-400,000 sq. feet of residential

City Center D.C. (2,500,000 sq. feet)

-1,135,000 sq. feet of office space
-686 residential units
-325,000 sq. feet of retail
-350 hotel rooms
How convenient that you completely fail to mention that only Phase I of Buckhead Atlanta is complete.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
How convenient that you completely fail to mention that only Phase I of Buckhead Atlanta is complete.

Only phase 1 of City Center D.C. is complete too. There are three phases for City Center D.C. There are many more unannounced stores and restaurants coming to City Center D.C.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:54 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,509,528 times
Quote:
Only phase 1 of City Center D.C. is complete too. There are three phases for City Center D.C. There are many more unannounced stores and restaurants coming to City Center D.C.
not to mention all the buildings around city center that are redeveloping their first floors to accommodate retail & trying to steal some stores from CC

Old 02-16-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
not to mention all the buildings around city center that are redeveloping their first floors to accommodate retail & trying to steal some stores from CC

They aren't trying to steal stores from City Center D.C., they are attracting retail for themselves. These people on this forum don't have a clue. I have been right about everything I have said since 2010 on city-data.com and all these posters have told me I didn't know what I was talking about. I always bring these posts back up 3-4 years from now for them to eat their crow. They never do though.

D.C. has so much retail coming here it's really not close. The Wharf has 300,000 sq. feet of retail too. The Yards has even more. Union Market has more than that too. We aren't even going to talk about NOMA, New City etc. etc. etc. etc.

D.C. is absolutely booming from a development standpoint and retail is absolutely exploding.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:18 PM

13,340 posts, read 39,826,202 times
After deleting dozens of off topic and trolling posts, this thread is now closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City