U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:15 AM

34 posts, read 24,411 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I am a long time reader of these message boards, but this is my first time posting. I have a question. How come Newark, NJ does not get the same attention as other cities that have similar population sizes, such as St. Louis and Pitts. I mean Newark, for not being the center of its metro area, has major amenities that other major cities have: a major airport, the largest port on the East coast or at least in the North East, major cultural institutions, a great collection of institutions of higher education, a world class arena, a good collection of white collar jobs. I do realize that the city, being so close to NYC, gets overlooked . Though, from the looks of it it is a major city, and if you did take NYC away the Newark area has been calculated as being around 3 million. So again, just because I am curious, why does Newark not get the same attention as cities that have comparable populations?

P.S. I apologize if this has been discussed before. I have only really dabbled in this forum as I have actually really been active in the NJ section (in terms of reading not actually being in the discussions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 02:03 PM

888 posts, read 1,071,817 times
Newark is basically a satellite city of New York City, therefore it never developed as much of an influence of its own. It also never reached the historic status as St. Louis or Pittsburgh. St. Louis was a top 10 city from 1850-1960.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:08 PM

13,215 posts, read 17,886,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydiz1994 View Post
How come Newark, NJ does not get the same attention as other cities that have similar population sizes, such as St. Louis and Pitts.
Probably because it's right across the river from a GIANT ****ING MEGACITY, for one. It doesn't help that it's generally considered a blighted hellhole either, or that Jersey City is starting to steal its shine, for that matter.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:40 PM

34 posts, read 24,411 times
I would argue, though, that Newark can stand on its own even if NYC was not there just because of its infrastructure. Unlike Jersey City which is more of a 6th borough then Newark is. Also, while Jersey City is going through an economic boom, Newark is on the cusp of redevelopment, I would love to see what you guys think about Newark 10-15 years down the road as Jersey City becomes much more expensive. Though, thanks for the response. I was always wondering this seeing as Newark is one of the oldest major city in the country, but never gets any attention. Though, when Newark was at its best it was in the top 20 cities in the country. https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab15.txt

Anyway, thank you for the response and hope to be able to get into more constructive discussions with you all in the future.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:26 PM

12,552 posts, read 10,418,780 times
Quote:
I would argue, though, that Newark can stand on its own even if NYC was not there just because of its infrastructure. Unlike Jersey City which is more of a 6th borough then Newark is. Also, while Jersey City is going through an economic boom, Newark is on the cusp of redevelopment, I would love to see what you guys think about Newark 10-15 years down the road as Jersey City becomes much more expensive. Though, thanks for the response. I was always wondering this seeing as Newark is one of the oldest major city in the country, but never gets any attention. Though, when Newark was at its best it was in the top 20 cities in the country. https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab15.txt

Anyway, thank you for the response and hope to be able to get into more constructive discussions with you all in the future.
If Newark wasn't so crime-ridden in the majority of the city it would absolutely hold its own, even with NYC right there. It is a good little city, infrastructure-wise, for the most part. Good transit systems (NJT rail connections to the rest of NJ and NYC, Newark Light Rail, PATH, NJT Bus, Amtrak trains also stop at Newark so you can get to anywhere else from DC to Boston), some really nice, unique architecture, some good parks, the Devils/Prudential Center for concerts. Newark was great in its heyday (pre 1960s race riots before the middle class whites fled, leaving poorer minorities, also before businesses left). All 4 of my grandparents were from Newark, and it was great then. It could be great again. It has a bad reputation (not undeserved) but the city itself, infrastructure/location-wise, is pretty good.

It needs to be cleaned up a la Guiliani's New York and I could see it thrive again.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:42 PM

2,650 posts, read 5,147,826 times
Quote:
Unlike Jersey City which is more of a 6th borough.
Ummm, no.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:44 PM

3,704 posts, read 3,822,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Newark is basically a satellite city of New York City, therefore it never developed as much of an influence of its own. It also never reached the historic status as St. Louis or Pittsburgh. St. Louis was a top 10 city from 1850-1960.
Newark was pretty big at some point though. I think it was 11th largest city in 1910s or something. Not bad for a city that is much smaller in land area vs the other cities on the list, but since Newark is like twice as dense, all 3 cities are pretty comparable.

St. Louis - 318,416 in 62 sq miles
Pittsburgh - 305,841 in 55 sq miles
Newark - 278,427 in 24 sq miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Probably because it's right across the river from a GIANT ****ING MEGACITY, for one. It doesn't help that it's generally considered a blighted hellhole either, or that Jersey City is starting to steal its shine, for that matter.
Newark definitely evolved as an independent city. Founded in 1666, it is roughly 11 miles away from NYC.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:20 PM

12,552 posts, read 10,418,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Newark was pretty big at some point though. I think it was 11th largest city in 1910s or something. Not bad for a city that is much smaller in land area vs the other cities on the list, but since Newark is like twice as dense, all 3 cities are pretty comparable.

St. Louis - 318,416 in 62 sq miles
Pittsburgh - 305,841 in 55 sq miles
Newark - 278,427 in 24 sq miles

Newark definitely evolved as an independent city. Founded in 1666, it is roughly 11 miles away from NYC.
Yup - as I said in my previous post, Newark was doing very well until the 1967 race riots. It was a great city, it was relevant and popular. Now, there was definitely racism in the city at the time and since the riots, Newark and its residents have made strides to diversify its police and government populations, but the result of the riots was that the wealthier people moved out for the suburbs, leaving the poorer people behind. Businesses, including some larger corporations, left the city, which was in ruins in parts after the riots. Newark has never recovered - its population or former glory. Now it's known for its crime more than anything.

The Ironbound is actually a good, pretty safe area, and is known for its great Portuguese food. Now that Newark has the Prudential Center, where the Devils play and where concerts are held (also where some local colleges play basketball), in close proximity to the train station, the area surrounding the Pru Center has been improving as well. There are some trendy bars/restaurants people hang out in before/after Devils game in the immediate area. I hope Newark can continue to improve, but I think some issues in Newark and other major cities relating to crime can only be fixed by the residents. No matter how much money the state pours into these blighted cities, or blighted neighborhoods, some changes start with the people.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:25 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,809,274 times
You're likely to get shot in all three. Just a little less likely in Pittsburgh.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:30 PM

2,650 posts, read 5,147,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
You're likely to get shot in all three. Just a little less likely in Pittsburgh.
If you sell drugs, are a gang member or involved in criminal activity, I would agree. Outside of that, "Likely" is a ridiculous statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City