U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 9,680 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are looking to relocate to be closer to family in North Alabama. We are in our early 30s and are both professionals. We are in the process of starting a family, so schools and family atmosphere are important to us. We are looking for an area easy to make friends and get involved in a church. We are not big partiers, but would like fun things to do. I am originally from Tuscaloosa and my wife is from Virginia, and we miss southern living. We live in Orlando FL now, and let me tell you sunny Florida isn't all that great. We would love some ideas and feedback on the area. Also I will be starting a business in the medical management field, so talent pool will also be important, but honestly we are more concerned on where to live. Any feedback is much appreciated!!

Last edited by Woods020; 02-16-2015 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 05:55 PM

3,278 posts, read 4,540,117 times
Nashville is probably the "Nicest" of those, the Belle Meade area especially.

I personally have a soft sport of Memphis, but most people don't like it.

Birmingham- the Mountain Brook area is quite nice, but traffic is a cluster-fudge. No one in the whole city knows how to drive.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:04 PM

Thank you. I was just telling my wife about Mt. Brooke ironically. It is very nice, but costly as well. Cost is not our biggest factor however, we would spend the money on the right place to call home.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:12 PM

8,637 posts, read 5,346,245 times
Nashville sounds perfect for you, particularly with your line of work. Nashville is the HQ's of HCA, and Northern Alabama is a quick drive down I-65. The economy and city are booming right now, it's a great time to be there.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2015, 06:30 PM

Thank you! We think we want to avoid the Atlanta area, but we aren't sure. We may also consider Chattanooga TN.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:48 PM

8,637 posts, read 5,346,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods020 View Post
Thank you! We think we want to avoid the Atlanta area, but we aren't sure. We may also consider Chattanooga TN.
Atlanta's not for everyone, but it is a great place. It has been very good to me, and I have no regrets at all.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:28 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,754,768 times
If you're considering Memphis, take a look at Little Rock. Its a highly underrated metro and city, IMO. It is similar to a smaller version of Nashville. I visited there recently and left impressed.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:03 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,584,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods020 View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are looking to relocate to be closer to family in North Alabama. We are in our early 30s and are both professionals. We are in the process of starting a family, so schools and family atmosphere are important to us. We are looking for an area easy to make friends and get involved in a church. We are not big partiers, but would like fun things to do. I am originally from Tuscaloosa and my wife is from Virginia, and we miss southern living. We live in Orlando FL now, and let me tell you sunny Florida isn't all that great. We would love some ideas and feedback on the area. Also I will be starting a business in the medical management field, so talent pool will also be important, but honestly we are more concerned on where to live. Any feedback is much appreciated!!
Birmingham is probably your best bet according to what your looking for. Its definitely"southern" culture wise, family friendly, a regional medical hub with a nationally recognized research hospital in UAB, plenty of churches to become involved in and its very close to your family in North Alabama.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:41 PM

Thank you all for your responses. Through investigation we have narrowed it to Nashville and Birmingham. That is going to be a hard decision obviously.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:45 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,811,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Nashville is probably the "Nicest" of those, the Belle Meade area especially.

I personally have a soft sport of Memphis, but most people don't like it.

Birmingham- the Mountain Brook area is quite nice, but traffic is a cluster-fudge. No one in the whole city knows how to drive.
Alabama needs to go back to horse and buggy. The drivers are probably the worst in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City