Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond vs Raleigh/Durham, which region feels more southern?
Richmond 122 58.94%
Raleigh/Durham 85 41.06%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:42 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times

Advertisements

These two metros aren't terribly far apart, but the Raleigh/Durham area has more of a "transplant saturated" New South image. On the contrary, Richmond is borderline Mid-Atlantic in the same vein as DC, Baltimore, and even Philly (dare I say). Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:43 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times
put up a poll. I think Richmond has a mix of mid atlantic, rust belt, & southern vibes. Whereas Raliegh Durham is still very dominated by the country music/ sweet tea/ bible culture that defines the south

Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
put up a poll. I think Richmond has a mix of mid atlantic, rust belt, & southern vibes. Whereas Raliegh Durham is still very dominated by the country music/ sweet tea/ bible culture that defines the south

That's not true about Raliegh/Durham at all.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
That's not true about Raliegh/Durham at all.
the transplant culture has shifted the area from its redneck roots, but many of those transplants quickly start saying y'all, listening to country music, and adopting southern cuisine

Old 02-16-2015, 09:08 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
I never really thought of the Raleigh area as "redneck" for the most part. It's probably "preppy southern" over anything, or maybe "suburban southern" although I'm probably making that term up. Just judging by my high school in Raleigh.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I never really thought of the Raleigh area as "redneck" for the most part. It's probably "preppy southern" over anything, or maybe "suburban southern" although I'm probably making that term up. Just judging by my high school in Raleigh.
You are absolutely right, many Triangle areas have become more upper class southern (preppy). But before the influx of the tech companies this area was still pretty dominated by tobacco culture & lower class southern (redneck)

Old 02-16-2015, 09:17 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
the transplant culture has shifted the area from its redneck roots, but many of those transplants quickly start saying y'all, listening to country music, and adopting southern cuisine
Country music is played all around the country. "Ya'll" is said in NY and California as well. Southern cuisine, yes it defines the south as it should but Raleigh/Durham isn't dominated (southern) like let's say Birmingham or Memphis.

As for Rednecks, you can find those in northern states as well, just take a trip around upstate New York for example.

Is this a trolling post? If so, being southern can't be too bad considering the northerners are moving south at an alarming rate.. Also, those "redneck" states such as NC and GA are usually ranked pretty high in regards to "best states for business"...That could be a southern quality too.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Country music is played all around the country. "Ya'll" is said in NY and California as well. Southern cuisine, yes it defines the south as it should but Raleigh/Durham isn't dominated (southern) like let's say Birmingham or Memphis.

As for Rednecks, you can find those in northern states as well, just take a trip around upstate New York for example.

Is this a trolling post? If so, being southern can't be too bad considering the northerners are moving south at an alarming rate.. Also, those "redneck" states such as NC and GA are usually ranked pretty high in regards to "best states for business"...That could be a southern quality too.
Y'all is known for being a mostly southern thing, as well as country music. Those two facts are hard to deny. Rednecks can be found anywhere, & I am not saying they can't be. No this is not a trolling post, just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't mean I am trolling. Most northerners move south because it is cheap & warm, i never said NC & Georgia are redneck. Republicans have lower taxes & regulations which is attractive to businesses (another reason northerners are moving south)

Old 02-16-2015, 10:12 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
Quote:
Whereas Raliegh Durham is still very dominated by the country music/ sweet tea/ bible culture that defines the south
Not really. The culture is similar to other major cities. I'd also point out that the culture here, while southern in character originally, was not quite the same flavor of southern as the rural parts of the state historically. Durham and Orange counties for instance voted democratic in every election since 1932. Carrboro elected the first openly gay mayor in the south, outside Florida. It's also the world headquarters of Adam&Eve. Raleigh elected the first black mayor in the south in the 1960s (in a city that wasn't black-majority). Raleigh was also the center of the music scene in the Triangle for many years, which is more punk and indie rock than country, though that center shifted to Chapel Hill, and now Durham in recent years.

Yeah... real biblical here. The only banjos you'll ever hear are being played by white hipsters, in these parts.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Not really. The culture is similar to other major cities. I'd also point out that the culture here, while southern in character originally, was not quite the same flavor of southern as the rural parts of the state historically. Durham and Orange counties for instance voted democratic in every election since 1932. Carrboro elected the first openly gay mayor in the south, outside Florida. It's also the world headquarters of Adam&Eve. Raleigh elected the first black mayor in the south in the 1960s (in a city that wasn't black-majority). Raleigh was also the center of the music scene in the Triangle for many years, which is more punk and indie rock than country.

Yeah... real biblical here. The only banjos you'll ever hear are being played by white hipsters, in these parts.
the city itself isn't very southern, I was referring more to the suburbs. But I would assume that Raleigh went democratic for so long due to the state government prescience. But it is interesting, Raleigh is beginning to remind me more & more of Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City