U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stronger identity?
Seattle 10 20.41%
Washington, DC 6 12.24%
Philadelphia 12 24.49%
Boston 21 42.86%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 11:38 AM

280 posts, read 159,812 times

Advertisements

I guess I don't know what identity means...DC is on the national and international news every day ad nauseum and that is a hard "identity" good or bad, to beat. Carry on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 11:57 AM

3,983 posts, read 2,370,178 times
DC doesn't have an identity? Every tv show on seems to be about it.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:00 PM

626 posts, read 367,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNJ View Post
Boston's culture is not "way more" prevalent than Philadelphia. Not by a long shot. I find it quite the other way around.
LOL/ not sure if serious.

Quote:
Philadelphia IMO has more character than Boston does....

Quote:
...as Philadelphia revitalizes, it'll probably lose it the way Boston did.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:05 PM

115 posts, read 50,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post

Boston is more transient and watered down than Philadelphia. How does Boston have more of an identity? I'm pretty sure Philadelphia has its own sports history and sports fans reputation for starters. It's own slang, accent, food, cultural influence, history, etc.

This is Philadelphia, not Phoenix.

Philadelphia and Boston are extremely, extremely close. For every point you can make for one, it can be made for the other. They're both settled in the 17th century and both were massive influences on America. The food history alone in Philadelphia is legendary because it's ridiculously influential across the entire country.

Why? Because the media's mockery of an accent and overexposed sports teams, Boston has more of an identity?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:27 AM

27,834 posts, read 24,888,826 times
Philly and Boston are virtually tied here. They would be my number one picks, then DC, then Seattle.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:53 PM

8,671 posts, read 8,817,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoBeans View Post
Boston is more transient and watered down than Philadelphia. How does Boston have more of an identity? I'm pretty sure Philadelphia has its own sports history and sports fans reputation for starters. It's own slang, accent, food, cultural influence, history, etc.

This is Philadelphia, not Phoenix.

Philadelphia and Boston are extremely, extremely close. For every point you can make for one, it can be made for the other. They're both settled in the 17th century and both were massive influences on America. The food history alone in Philadelphia is legendary because it's ridiculously influential across the entire country.

Why? Because the media's mockery of an accent and overexposed sports teams, Boston has more of an identity?
Philly is sort of in the middle of everything. It's much more similar to Baltimore or NYC than Boston is. While the cities most similar to Boston, Providence, Worcester, Portland 90% of the culture exchanged is Boston out, while Philly has sort of an equal influence and influenced ratio. Boston is more distinct culturally while Philly blends more so.
For example food, Boston has Boston cream pie, Boston Baked Beans, Steamers, Chowder, Lobster,l. What's Uniquely Philly? Cheesesteak (sorry water ice is Italian ice)

Old 06-06-2017, 03:56 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,109,592 times
I'm from D.C but even I admit D.C is last in this category. Boston and Philly are tied for 1st, can't decide between the two.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:16 PM

1,039 posts, read 825,229 times
Yeah I'm not sure how people are putting Seattle over DC. I'd rank them:

1. Philly/Boston
2. DC
3. Seattle

Old 06-06-2017, 04:37 PM

27,646 posts, read 24,880,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How does Seattle have more of an identity than the nation's capital?????
I could see that. DC has an image but not an identity per se. As such a transient area, DC is still finding its identity to an extent.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:45 PM

559 posts, read 514,664 times
Boston and Philly have generally identified as old, established, and culturally set in their ways.
However, with the new age (liberal) millennial boom along with the rise of progressive and forward thinking cities (particularly out West), a part of me feels like Boston and Philly are going through a bit of an identity crisis. Nothing incredibly drastic, but enough to make you think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or