U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Stronger identity?
Seattle 10 20.41%
Washington, DC 6 12.24%
Philadelphia 12 24.49%
Boston 21 42.86%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2017, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,667 posts, read 24,943,939 times
Reputation: 11236

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Boston and Philly have generally identified as old, established, and culturally set in their ways.
However, with the new age (liberal) millennial boom along with the rise of progressive and forward thinking cities (particularly out West), a part of me feels like Boston and Philly are going through a bit of an identity crisis. Nothing incredibly drastic, but enough to make you think...
But even the transplants who move to these places love to lay claim to these cities and act as if they are natives. For most people, there's a certain connotation with being a New Yorker or an Angeleno that a city like DC does not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2017, 06:08 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,263 posts, read 5,592,044 times
Reputation: 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But even the transplants who move to these places love to lay claim to these cities and act as if they are natives. For most people, there's a certain connotation with being a New Yorker or an Angeleno that a city like DC does not have.
I'd add Atlanta to the list of cities that people love to lay claim to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2017, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,667 posts, read 24,943,939 times
Reputation: 11236
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'd add Atlanta to the list of cities that people love to lay claim to.
Other than aspiring rappers who want to be associated with the city to boost record sales, I don't know too many transplants who are proud to lay claim to Atlanta. It seems like most people move there and then complain about it not being like NYC, Philly, L.A., Chicago, etc.

NYC has the opposite effect on people. People move here and completely erase their hometown from their memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2017, 07:55 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,263 posts, read 5,592,044 times
Reputation: 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Other than aspiring rappers who want to be associated with the city to boost record sales, I don't know too many transplants who are proud to lay claim to Atlanta. It seems like most people move there and then complain about it not being like NYC, Philly, L.A., Chicago, etc.

NYC has the opposite effect on people. People move here and completely erase their hometown from their memory.
I personally know quite a few people who have done it who aren't aspiring entertainers. To you're point, that lets you know how popular Atlanta is if even celebrities are claiming Atlanta as their hometown. When people are leaving cities like NYC and Chicago and claim Atlanta as their home, the you know it's real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 07:55 AM
 
115 posts, read 50,655 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Philly is sort of in the middle of everything. It's much more similar to Baltimore or NYC than Boston is. While the cities most similar to Boston, Providence, Worcester, Portland 90% of the culture exchanged is Boston out, while Philly has sort of an equal influence and influenced ratio. Boston is more distinct culturally while Philly blends more so.
For example food, Boston has Boston cream pie, Boston Baked Beans, Steamers, Chowder, Lobster,l. What's Uniquely Philly? Cheesesteak (sorry water ice is Italian ice)

A long list. Longer than Boston's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,667 posts, read 24,943,939 times
Reputation: 11236
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
(sorry water ice is Italian ice)
Water ice and Italian ice are different things IMO. Water ice is slushy. Italian ice is more of a paste. The textures are different.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bblqVJPdir4


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msr0qbVQbT0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,024 posts, read 2,400,626 times
Reputation: 2775
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I personally know quite a few people who have done it who aren't aspiring entertainers. To you're point, that lets you know how popular Atlanta is if even celebrities are claiming Atlanta as their hometown. When people are leaving cities like NYC and Chicago and claim Atlanta as their home, the you know it's real.
What celebrities? You mean rappers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,667 posts, read 24,943,939 times
Reputation: 11236
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
When people are leaving cities like NYC and Chicago and claim Atlanta as their home, the you know it's real.
I don't know too many New Yorkers who claim Atlanta as their hometown or otherwise try to distance themselves from NYC. New York-ness (?) seems to be a badge of honor people love to wear as they move from one place to another. It's also something people seem to embrace when they move to NYC from some town in the Midwest.

In New York, I get the sense that many transplants want to be thought of or at least be indistinguishable from natives. In Atlanta, New York natives seem to go out of their way to make it known they are not from Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:40 AM
 
27,950 posts, read 25,010,782 times
Reputation: 16614
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't know too many New Yorkers who claim Atlanta as their hometown or otherwise try to distance themselves from NYC. New York-ness (?) seems to be a badge of honor people love to wear as they move from one place to another. It's also something people seem to embrace when they move to NYC from some town in the Midwest.

In New York, I get the sense that many transplants want to be thought of or at least be indistinguishable from natives. In Atlanta, New York natives seem to go out of their way to make it known they are not from Atlanta.
You are correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 09:36 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,263 posts, read 5,592,044 times
Reputation: 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What celebrities? You mean rappers?
Tyler Perry isn't a rapper, and that's just one example. Rrappers/singers claimed ATL before the south took over.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 06-07-2017 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top