U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2015, 09:44 AM
 
1,069 posts, read 814,865 times
Reputation: 708

Advertisements

Visited Denver, lived in Portland. Have friends in Both. Denver music scene is waaaaaaay better (for the music I enjoy). Both have fantastic food, Denver, Fort Collins, and Boulder have better breweries. Both have amazing natural beauty near by. Denver didn't seem as clean as Portland, but Portland is the cleanest city I've ever been to of it's size or similar. If you told me I HAD to live in one of them, I'd choose Denver. Neither are bad, but neither are really my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2015, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
206 posts, read 200,553 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound41 View Post
Go to Portland. While still remote you can get to Seattle, Vancouver, San Fran pretty easily. In Denver you are very isolated.
The best thing about Portland is that other, better cities are close by? Not a ringing endorsement of Portland itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 AM
 
267 posts, read 212,125 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Portland:

Pros:
Good food, lots to see and do, upscale in general

Cons:
Homeless people, damp

Denver:

Pros: Close to skiing, very nice suburbs, Mountain West atmosphere, big sky

Cons: Hotter than hell in the summer, traffic jams and the mousetrap, neuveau-riche douchebags
Your pros and cons are extremely subjective. For instance, I prefer a damp, wet climate over a sunny one any day of the week.

Also too, I couldn't personally care less about how good the skiing conditions are in Denver.

One last thing, Denver traffic isn't that bad. Especially if you've ever lived in Seattle, Los Angeles, or DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnyard Bletch View Post
The best thing about Portland is that other, better cities are close by? Not a ringing endorsement of Portland itself.
In my opinion Portland is a better city and aside from it's job market, beats Denver in every conceivable aspect of living. In addition to that, you also aren't that far from Central California, Seattle, and Canada. I didn't like living in Denver at all and to top it off, I was in the middle of nowhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 04:56 PM
 
245 posts, read 236,970 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnyard Bletch View Post
The best thing about Portland is that other, better cities are close by? Not a ringing endorsement of Portland itself.
Ha ha, that wasn't what I meant. I love both Denver and Portland, but if I was coming from another country and staying for only a few months I would want to go where I have options to visit other cool places within a days drive. Though even on its own I would rather visit Portland than Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 06:06 PM
 
28 posts, read 27,508 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Both cities are prohibitively expensive. Portland has better access to the beach, but Denver has better access to the mountains. Denver is a bit bigger and has a broader economy and a more vibrant social scene. Summer in Denver with the Rockies at your door step is hard to beat.



Seattle is an easy 2-2.5 hour drive from Portland, but San Francisco is 9 to 10 hours away.
I actually prefer the bar scene in Portland to Denver. There are more bars spread throughout the City, and it's more compact so easier to hop around. Seattle has a legit big city feel and is just 3 hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 06:07 PM
 
28 posts, read 27,508 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Visited Denver, lived in Portland. Have friends in Both. Denver music scene is waaaaaaay better (for the music I enjoy). Both have fantastic food, Denver, Fort Collins, and Boulder have better breweries. Both have amazing natural beauty near by. Denver didn't seem as clean as Portland, but Portland is the cleanest city I've ever been to of it's size or similar. If you told me I HAD to live in one of them, I'd choose Denver. Neither are bad, but neither are really my cup of tea.
Sorry, but Portland beats Denver area in breweries by a mile. It has more breweries than any city in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 07:10 PM
 
267 posts, read 212,125 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by regrone23 View Post
Sorry, but Portland beats Denver area in breweries by a mile. It has more breweries than any city in the country.
Portland also has a better organic scene, if you're into that sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
5,373 posts, read 7,662,453 times
Reputation: 4328
Come to Denver. We have a mini Portland in the same metro (Boulder). Where's Portland's mini Denver? It's a win win

Seriously, if you're moving for the city itself and not other cities, I think you should consider Denver. There is a lot to do here during the summer. And Boulder is great for college students.

Last edited by Mezter; 02-24-2015 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 08:09 PM
 
267 posts, read 212,125 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Come to Denver. We have a mini Portland in the same metro (Boulder). Where's Portland's mini Denver? It's a win win

Seriously, if you're moving for the city itself and not other cities, I think you should consider Denver. There is a lot to do here during the summer. And Boulder is great for college students.
Hell no! Boulder sucks off something fierce! Seriously, it blows so hard it's not even funny. Boulder has nothing to do with Portland, and that's a horrible comparison to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
5,373 posts, read 7,662,453 times
Reputation: 4328
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
Hell no! Boulder sucks off something fierce! Seriously, it blows so hard it's not even funny. Boulder has nothing to do with Portland, and that's a horrible comparison to make.
Idk what you're talking about, but Boulder is great. It's like a smaller version of those Hip, energetic, and organic cities like Portland and Austin. It's really the perfect place for college age students imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top