U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:43 PM

2,949 posts, read 4,937,113 times

Advertisements

If he took a difficult course load and is "highly gifted" I would think he should be at a better school than either U Minn or Northeastern for Computer Science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 09:28 PM

7,359 posts, read 15,332,628 times
^ I'm sure that was necessary.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:07 PM

7,337 posts, read 9,002,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^ I'm sure that was necessary.
It was pretty classless. Boston has an international reputation for academics, but it can be pretty provincial, too. In some ways, Minneapolis is better..

Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 PM

1,019 posts, read 743,041 times
Boston is the better city. Minneapolis is a cool city too, but Boston is on a little different level. Boston is going to have kids from all over the country and more international students. Mpls will have a few kids from all over, but the vast majority will be from Minnesota, Iowa, the Dakotas, or Wisconsin.

I'm partial to big state schools and the breadth of academic programs as well as the sports and social life that go along with a huge university. That's not everyone's preference though. The number of schools Boston has probably makes up for smaller size of Northeastern. I echo everyone else that following a girlfriend is not a great idea since few of those relationships survive that big of a life change like going off to college, but ultimately he'll choose whichever he thinks he'll be happier with.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 PM

2,949 posts, read 4,937,113 times
It's a legitimate observation, there are many schools that have stronger programs for computer science than either U Minn or Northeastern.

For what it's worth, I grew up in Minnesota but have lived in Massachusetts for most of my life.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:32 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,557,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
If he took a difficult course load and is "highly gifted" I would think he should be at a better school than either U Minn or Northeastern for Computer Science.
The student in question is an International Student. UMN is a VERY good school for an INTL student to get into, the standards are much higher for them over an American, let alone an in-state student.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:08 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,130,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
It's a legitimate observation, there are many schools that have stronger programs for computer science than either U Minn or Northeastern.

For what it's worth, I grew up in Minnesota but have lived in Massachusetts for most of my life.
But what exactly does your observation have to do with the subject at hand? All you did was insult someone for no reason. FWIW, people can be "gifted" and go to a school like Northeastern or Minnesota. Great students don't always have to land in a place like MIT.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:55 PM

7,359 posts, read 15,332,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
But what exactly does your observation have to do with the subject at hand? All you did was insult someone for no reason. FWIW, people can be "gifted" and go to a school like Northeastern or Minnesota. Great students don't always have to land in a place like MIT.
Exactly. It was unhelpful at best, and downright rude and insulting at worst. Completely unnecessary.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:59 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,603,580 times
My parents both went to Ivy League schools I went to a private college that was overpriced BU for undergrad and U. of Kentucky for graduate school. State schools are a far better value overall than private colleges just my opinion. It takes more than a BA to get a high paying job these days.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 661 times
I grew up in Minneapolis and live in New England now. University of Minnesota is a commuter school and is vast and somewhat impersonal. Typical Big 10 school. The traditions of the college and new sports facilities are bringing the student body back together, however. I believe that there is legislation for a new field house, etc..at the U which is awesome. Back to Boston...The area is very rich in history and has a much more European feel to it. I would have to say that my favorite part of living here is that you can find a spot an hour from mountains, ocean, metropolis and rolling hills. I live in New Hampshire and will hike one weekend, fly a kite at the beach the next, see a show or game in Boston, or even make the 3.5 hour drive down to NYC to experience that culture. Minneapolis is what it is. You're always several hours from anywhere else and the sub-freezing temps in the Winter, despite what people tell you, cause many to go into hibernation. I remember not seeing neighbors for several weeks at a time over the 6-months of Winter. And yes, it can get brutally cold before Thanksgiving and stay cold until Mother's Day in Minnesota. Chances are your son will go away to school and move back to Cali after he graduates anyways. Although I think there's a better chance he adapts to Minnesota quicker just because the people are somewhat more welcoming. It is my observation that in the Boston area people are proud of their city and people who move in from elsewhere are intruding where in Minneapolis people are proud that the people moving in actually chose Minnesota over other places. Good luck to you! From what I understand about Northeastern University, it's mostly New Englanders---you'll find that U of Minn is mostly Midwesterners, a lot of them live at home or off-campus and drive to class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or