U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:00 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,916,967 times

Advertisements

I'd like to think that Minneapolis and Boston are two in the same cities, but that's only based off of what I've heard, since I've never been to Boston. Both cities take tremendous pride in their education and healthcare, and also have large GDP, driven largely by organically-grown businesses (e.g. Boston Scientific and 3M). Both cities are known for being fairly white but both have moderate cultural diversity (esp. Boston). Both cities live underneath a larger regional Mecca (CHI & NYC) but neither city seems to feel inferior to their bigger brother/sister city.

If I had to move to another city and I couldn't choose Mpls, Boston would be on a short list of places I'd think I'd transfer to with relative ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 10:15 AM

2,533 posts, read 2,383,243 times
I went to school in Boston. Although that was thirty years ago, I do get back to the city fairly often. You will not find a more student oriented city anywhere in the world. Boston is an incredibly fun and enriching city for any student. With that said, Northeastern is sort of an average school in a setting which includes many elite schools. While The U of M is an above average school which is completely dominant within the region. I'm fairly certain that The U of M is ranked higher in computer science than is Northeastern.

As for the cities involved; Boston is larger, but both cities have thriving economies and are highly educated. Both cities are filled with creative and artistic people, and both shine for their focus on the fine arts. Boston has a deservedly international reputation. However, Minneapolis is a major city in its own right. The atmosphere of Boston for a college student cannot be matched by Minneapolis, however, the cost of living in Minneapolis will be significantly lower. Minneapolis does have a greater concentration of large multi-national companies. You will find Minneapolis to be extremely diverse--perhaps more so than Boston, although you will find a greater European presence in Boston. Both Minneapolis and Boston have impressive downtown vistas, suggestive of large North American cities. Interestingly, Downtown St Paul (St Paul borders Minneapolis) has the charm of a small European city, at least in regards to its cityscape.

Boston has an extremely well-developed subway system, while Minneapolis is much further behind in that regard. However, The U of M is readily accessible via rail to Downtown Minneapolis, Downtown St Paul, and the airport. As for transportation to/from Europe, Minneapolis does have non stop flights to London, Paris, Amsterdam, and Frankfurt.

Both cities have very high qualities of life, with an emphasis on art, education, and healthcare. Minneapolis has been named the best among large US cities for its park system, and is routinely among the top cities for bicycling and bicycle infrastructure. Boston is certainly above average in that area as well. Boston is more heavily urbanized, and is a more interesting city for walking. Boston also has a longer and richer historical value than does Minneapolis. Boston has the advantage of an extraordinarily large college student population. Minneapolis has the advantage of cost of living. I can't imagine anyone feeling bored or isolated in either city. Perhaps the relative importance to your son of being near his girlfriend is the most important thing to consider.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:44 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,113,968 times
^^great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or